How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

BigD

How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

Post by BigD »

Hi everyone, sorry for the model forecast problems. I'm away right now working and after a 13hr day today I was able to spend a few hours on it. I know what the problem is. The U of W banned my home computer from accessing their website due to overuse. I was able to fix it temporarily using a proxy but it might not work. So I'll have to contact the University of Washington to try and straighten things out next week. Maybe someone can start a forum thread about how we use the model and you can post if you find it useful. Otherwise it may disappear.
I check your forecast link everyday even though I live on the wind deprived mainland. Thanks for all your hard work Dave :!:

Anyone else care to elaborate on "how we use the model and you can post if you find it useful :?:
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I use the model to help plan my travel to the coast. And when I'm on holiday on the Island I check regularly to plan my time around windsurfing! It is a very quick way to get an idea of what wind may be approaching in the near future. I've tried the Windguru Model, but I don't like it as much as the BWD model page.

I like to compare the model to the EC 3 day forecast. If they agree I feel confident that something will likely happen. The loss of the model would be unfortunate.
eastside

Post by eastside »

I got up at 6 am , checked model and latest reports. I will probably go back to sleep and not waste gas driving to the beach as the wind probably will not be good enough. I don't know why they wouldn't let us use the forecasts as we really depend on them more than most. I would say a big safety issue too, especially for yachting and boating. The model is often more accurate and is always more targeted and precise than Environment Canada.
Keen
Developer
Developer

Post by Keen »

4J summed it up nicely for me:
I like to compare the model to the EC 3 day forecast. If they agree I feel confident that something will likely happen. The loss of the model would be unfortunate.

It would be sad to see it go.
Thanks Dave for keeping the model summary pages sync'd up with the outputs and thanks to the UofW guys for keeping it going. I hope you let us keeping using it.
Windsurfish

Wind Model

Post by Windsurfish »

Dave and the powers that be at UW,

I have used the wind model data posted on the BWD website since they were first incorporated. Not only do they provide the "when to go' data for sailing, they help to prevent excessive driving (to find no wind) an allow me to plan time use effectively. As well, many sailboat owners and fishermen I have talked to also use the data, for safety reasons amongst others. I hop that we can maintain the use of this valuable safety information with UW.

Cheers,

Chris :)
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

I use the model to plan my watersport activities. I also use EC but find them not as reliable.
This would be a great time for all the yacht sailors and fishermen who routinely use this site to validate the usage and hopefully keep this valuable resource available to our multi-use group.
Thanks again Dave for all your work to keep this site going and as diverse as it has become.
bean

Post by bean »

I check the mm5 wind model obsessively and compulsively - even when there is no chance of wind - it's that good.

Post by Fluffy »

This a most valuble link, its not just we wind seekers that check it ..... many fisherman too ........ I used to fish and wanted the no wind days lol. Its what I do first thing every day, click on that forecast and yes I confess multiple times during the day. It would be a great loss ......... please let us keep using ........... it fuels my addiction lol
Ned

Post by Ned »

As everyone above has mentioned, this weather link saves me loads of time, fuel, and disappointment for when I am lucky enough to partake in some windsports!
JL

Post by JL »

Daves 'Grid' based on the latest model is a wonderful tool in out forecasting arsenal. It helps reduce our carbon footprint as our windsurfing/kitesurfing trips are more efficient without visiting multiple sites on a given day ... The 'Grid' allows us with pinpoint accuracy to arrive @ a venue just as epic conditions are developing !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Save BWD's "Top Model"!

This is a key feature to the site for all of the reasons listed above. It would be a significant loss in the forecasting tool-set of this site.
Poultry in motion
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

The models, forcasts and wind predictions are invaluable tools that I use constantly (daily) to plan my activities. The accuracy over the past few years is amazing and thus I have come to rely and depend on these tools being available at all times! Please continue to share data and feed the weather habit! Thanks UW & BWD!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I have wasted countless hours of my life staring at the MM5 model willing it to turn red and orange so that I can ply myself from the computer screen to go sail. Please don't take it away or I will be forced to find a new hobby.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

If the UW doesn't like the 'overuse' by BWD then could the data not be accessed only 4 or so times in the day? I'm not sure if this is the situation. If they don't like a constant update then maybe they are worried about their bandwidth or something. Otherwise do they realize that this site is not here to make money? Or is it because we are in Canada?
curses - foiled again!
BA

Post by BA »

Checking the UW wind model is part of my morning routine almost every day. It would be a huge loss to this site if we lost this forecasting tool that we wind seekers and 'others' find so valuable.