Kiting in Nanaimo

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

GregK wrote:Well, Markus, kiters are not "you" and windsurfers are not "us" - many of us, myself included, did or do both.
hmm, there is a misread i think...the "you" was directed at the respondents to this thread, i've not been a supporter of "us and them"....and I too try to do both anyway :idea:

And i don't think Al ever said that, Gene :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
borson

Post by borson »

Finally ended up registering after a few years so I could comment on this thread.

Just wanted to give the perspective of a "kook" and why I taught myself how to kite primarily at pipers over the last year.

So long story short I took lessons somewhere hot for a week and came home and took a couple years to get the gear and try it here. Taught myself at pipers and around other nanaimo beaches where I could.

From the perspective of a newbie when I first started, why kite at pipers.

1. I had no idea it was more dangerous than anywhere else. It shows up on the sailing guide, I figured that basically meant it was kiteable and people who were better than me had no issues there. I actually assumed this was the prime location.

2. Its really easy to check If the winds working there. Webcam gives a great idea, and it is easy to roll up hop out the car and judge the wind. A lot of the other nanaimo beaches are a fair bit more effort (blueback etc). I've been skunked probably 70% of the time I try to go.

3. It seems to be rideable way more often. I ride on my own, dont know anyone that kites and often have to self launch and self land. Pipers seems to have areas I can do this no matter the tide. With the wind being fickle, working full time, it often seemed like my only choice.

Personally I learned the semi hard way. I definitely had a few good scares getting blown about. Had a couple self rescues, walking my way back up the lagoon. Fortunately I avoided any major injury to myself or anyone else and taught myself enough to be competant enough to go ride on my own.

Would love any advice on what beaches are better around here. Personally love blueback when it's working. Have heard neck point can work? Not sure where. Yet to ride Columbia but looking forward to it.

Even better would be to link up with some people who kite around the nanaimo and parksville area. Prevent any of us from ending up injured on the lagoon.
scarlet

Kiting in Nanaimo

Post by scarlet »

Hi Borson
Just to be clear. You are talking about kiting in the Lagoon AND off the beach at Pipers as well?
I kite and live along the Lagoon. I would be happy to suggest areas to kite in the Nanaimo, Nanoose and Parksville regions.
I am too lazy to write so give me a call 250 756 1369
Cheers, John MacMillan
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

borson wrote:
1. I had no idea it was more dangerous than anywhere else. It shows up on the sailing guide, I figured that basically meant it was kiteable and people who were better than me had no issues there.
Since you saw this site you must have also seen there was a whole community of people. So if you weren’t sure, Why didn’t you just ask?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Thankfully you had no incidents that led to harm to yourself or others. Unfortunately the sport is such that it is often “ luck” that determines whether there is bodily harm or not.

No one can force another to not kite or launch here or there .... until the authorities react to an incident where a bystander is injured. Piper’s is such a high traffic ( in Island terms) area, that there should be some heightened concern / caution about kiting there given what we all know about the wind there.

I know I am speaking “ all lawyerly” , but I care about our sports;our safety and our access. My comments are intended to educate about risk and liability so we can be proactive in preventing accidents.

Dave, the wiki might need to be updated to identify the hazards more clearly and set guidelines so that, if someone goes in there blindly, the BWD site can show that we have identified risks etc. and that any yahoo who just ignored it, and caused injury, is a lone wolf and not part of our community.

It sounds as if there are some local folks who could help in updating the wiki.

While I windsurf at Piper’s, I wold never kite there, but that is just me.

Rather go to San Pareil on a NW or CB on a SE. I had a great windsurf and kite day ( all in one) at SP on a NW last year.
borson

Post by borson »

John - I'll try giving you a call after work today and would greatly appreciate any information you've got on the local areas!

Nanmoo - You are right, I saw this site, saw Pipers Lagoon listed in the sailing guide and assumed that since it was even listed, that that meant it was a good spot to ride. It didn't have any major warnings about kiteboarding there. Had there been warnings I probably would have reached out on the forums for more information. The current warnings that have been added are definitely much better. The simplest explanation would be since it was even listed I assumed that meant it was safe and didn't need me to reach out to verify.
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

There is a Kiteboard group on Facebook for parksville area. Check it out

PQB kiteboard and windsurf Society

You may find some people to ride with there.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

What's Facebook?? :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
mplr

Safety tip - Regarding Nanoose

Post by mplr »

There is rebar sticking out of the water in a few areas in Nanoose Bay - up to quite far west. They can be located at low tide.