Nitinat beach camping prohibited now?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
raquo

Nitinat beach camping prohibited now?

Post by raquo »

Hey everyone,

I am getting conflicting reports from people visiting Nitinat. Some friends tell me that camping on the beach is now prohibited and people have to turn back due to lack of camping spots, yet others say that people are still camping on the beach.

I emailed the campground but they didn't answer whether camping is now prohibited on the beach, only saying that they're building new campsites and that they want to clear the beach for public use, whatever that would be.

Does anyone know what's going on there? From what I know they've only built 10-15 new camp sites so far, so if camping is now only allowed in designated spots around the old loop road (the one that was there last year) Nitinat's tent capacity is now what... a third of what it was last year, at best? That sounds insane. That can't possibly be true?

PS yes, I did read the Nitinat redevelopment thread, no info about beach camping there.
heffe222

Post by heffe222 »

That is correct, the camp administrators have posted ‘No beach camping’ notices at the campsite. Camping fees are being more rigorously collected at $20 per site per night (one RV and up to two cars/trucks and four adults and that can include some tents - no charge for children). Seniors (65 +) camping fee is $10. Kim and Pat are installed as the camp hosts at site 3 and they sweep through the campsite in the afternoon and leave notices on vehicle windshields if no camping receipts are displayed.

The campsite redevelopment construction is progressing slowly but no heavy equipment operating right now. About 10 sites are available for use behind the kiteboarding schools, and one new outhouse is built.

Today July 8 the entire campsite is only half full, so there will only be an overcrowding issue on days when there is actually any decent wind! 😆
raquo

Post by raquo »

Thanks for the info.

What about the non-designated / non-numbered camp sites? There were a few camp sites like that inside the forest right next to the beach, but not on the beach itself. Are those allowed?

> Today July 8 the entire campsite is only half full, so there will only be an overcrowding issue on days when there is actually any decent wind!

If the campsite is already half full on a Monday when it's not even particularly windy... Yeah it's going to be hopelessly full on every single weekend. Last year you could always find a spot, now most of those people will have to drive back because there is so little capacity now. This is a very bad decision for us.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Pat and Kim told us that the "old site" will not be having reservations nor have camping restricted to specific "picnic table numbered" sites only.

In other words, "business as usual" at the old area - for a flat fee of $20, regardless whether you get a table or not (as it always has been).

The beach restriction is a "go figure". There have been people camping on the beach this year and they have not apparently been told to vacate.

It would be great if the development team at Dididhat would engage in some consultation with the users who have been going there for 20 or 30 years or more as they make changes.

How about a Season's Pass, like they have at Whistler and we had under the Society who ran it many years ago?

Pat and Kim (and new guy, Stephen) aren't part of those decisions, as I understand it, but are conveying information from them.