scha-wing

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Everyone guessed that already I think Nanmoo! But congrats getting foiling on your first attempt with the new motor!. I'm completely in agreement with your earlier comments in this thread about marketing etc. I think combined with inflatable boards this could be huge growth area especially if they can get the price down. I've shown the 1 minute Naish ad that starts off with slogging long paddleboards to a couple of casual paddleboarders and the reaction is instant and gleeful "I could do that it looks so much fun!". The foiling they can't really relate to.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Good point MF4, the market may soon split:

1. Cheap, lower quality, basic model that you play around with on your inflatable sup on the lake. Mass market, walmart, cdn tire version.

2. Higher end version designed for performance: stronger construction to withstand more wind, more force from rider doing more intensive stuff.

Not unlike SUPs where you can get a plastic one at costco for $199 or you can buy a carbon space rocket for $3000.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Video shows wing potential for playing in waves.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLpQ-ti17A[/youtube]
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, that is amazing! Thanks for linking that JdS!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

The big challenge at present is the learning curve: the standard problem of too few quality wind days, not enough time to chase them, and so not willing to give up the regular fun (kiting, foiling) to dedicate the time needed for learning something new.

For me, the learning curve has been a little steeper than expected -- some gear problems at first, but the main issue being attempting this in too light winds. Once pro, it should be easily doable at 15kt with this 5m wing, but until then, more wind makes it way easier. More wind is also when kiting is fun. :wink: So that's why I am thinking I'll upgrade to a larger wing, open up lighter wind potential.

I see the time investment in learning this as having two levels: first is basic competency, able to get up and ride. Second is advanced competency, to be able to comfortably catch and ride waves in highly variable wind and wave conditions. I figure the first level can be achieved in just 2-3 sessions, but to be good enough to use the wing properly on wave days, will take a lot of training hours.

My dream is to be in Maui or La Ventana, with the luxury of watching wind all day and be able to try new stuff without giving up anything. <sigh> ... welcome back to reality!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

another club member

JL, you seem wing-curious, going to have to try mine on one nice day at Gordons. First try is free. ;-)

For my own progress report ... feeling pretty comfortable with the set up now. The ozone wasp 4m is awesome once it is 18kt+, and a little below that it works. The gong 7m is good in a steady 12-15kt, but if not steady or below that, just doesn't have enough juice ... the canopy isn't as stiff as it should be for generating low-end power. This is all on the 6'8" sup foil and the maliko200 wing.

Monday was an experimental day: smaller board (6'), smaller wing (Iwa), taller mast (24-27"), and foot hooks. All successful, except the smaller wing is a question mark: you gain more speed and maneuverability, but at the cost of worse low end. Dunno about that trade off. The further experimenting will be with wings that are bigger but higher aspect.

bla bla bla ... point is I think I have graduated to "intermediate" status and can now start refining things. yay. And still remain mindful of the pros and cons of this new thing ... for flat water cruising, kiting is probably still superior, less work for more glide. I think wing is mostly a sup foil / swell riding thing....surf and downwinders. Or for situations that a kite can't be launched easily or safely, or for a quickie session (half the rigging time).
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

this wind chart from ozone is helpful for those thinking of getting into this and wondering about wing sizes. Red is expert, green is beginner.

juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

and for those thinking of getting into this....surfer in LA selling his 5m duotone cheap, willing to ship and open to offers

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/s ... 65742.html
JL

Post by JL »

Marty's dog showed a serious interest as well :P
Thermals are good.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

This looks incredible, and you'll probably even be able to get it shipped here at a decent cost!

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/ne ... able-hipe/
JL

Post by JL »

Well that was inevitable 8)
Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:This looks incredible, and you'll probably even be able to get it shipped here at a decent cost!

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/ne ... able-hipe/
Interesting! For flat water paddling, iSUP seems a good option for easy storage and transport. For surfing, the iSUP is a POS. But for foil use, once you get up on foil, the board's hydrodynamics are irrelevant, so it makes logical sense. Though I have my doubts about the foil connection being stiff enough for proper performance and also durable enough for long-standing use and abuse. Call me cynical/pessimistic, but I won't be buying V1 until some trusted reviews come in.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

What jds? I thought you were all about Gong V1 gear! :wink: Yeah, I'm not about to be ordering anything like that yet, as you say, let's see the reviews and some use. It would be an awesome travel kit, and it looks very stiff with no flex in the video. Best I've seen in inflatables so far, will be interesting to see how it shapes up!
...besides I've pulled the trigger on the Fanatic Sky Wing 5'0 8)
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:What jds? I thought you were all about Gong V1 gear! :wink:
Hehe, point taken! Asterisk on V1 gear comment: ***unless the price is right*** :D :oops: :roll: