Localism

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Alex
Website Donor
Website Donor

Localism

Post by Alex »

I though this discussion needed to moved to the forum as it's not the first time this type of discussion has come up before.

I'm sorry "locals" do not get priority. Let's imagine they did, does everyone need to start wearing colored coded jerseys so we know who is more "local" than the next person? I'm not condoning what happened as I wasn't there but everyone has a different perspective on events.

As a community we need to stand up to threats to people and property.

I do think that a surfer on the same wave deserves priority over a kiter. It's much easier for the kiter to "catch" waves.
Teabag: Broken nose, flat tires, ooooooooo.... Surfers are definitively the angry SJW of watersports!!! Hopefully South Park creator see this post, and do another "The F Word", and pass the torch from the Harley Davidson rider to surfers :) :) :) - Monday March 02, 12:23PM

Nanmoo: What day was that? Maybe PM me, hard to help people help themselves if we don't know who it was. - Monday March 02, 12:02PM

Windwave: LESSONS LEARNED 101: Need to get this off my chest and possibly avoid any future conflict. Posted up at my local spot over the weekend enjoying the sun when all of a sudden a careless kiter comes through the line up of surfers and dumps his kite right in the zone, nearly taking out some of my friends waiting for waves. As the surfer rides the waves, the lines nearly take him down in to entanglement. Luckily he was a skilled surfer and rode right over those damn lines. The kiter was able to get back up and out of the way but kept pressing the line up of surfers for sets. LISTEN UP : surfer has priority. As I made my way out , I proceeded to witness this same kiters debauchery. As I pulled in to my first couple waves, I noticed the same kiter pressing me and challenging me for waves.. I told him to Fu$/ off! Give me room! At this point the surfers were gone and it was a kite show. Which leads to my next point LISTEN UP: locals have priority. I come to learn that this kiter has a local sponsor ..fair enough..he can fly the kite decent. Having local sponsorship doesn't make you a local and it does not move you to the front of the line up... anywhere Take some lessons from your colleague Reece, respect gets you more than you can handle. Reece has so much respect, he could most likely share with you. From what I've seen in the past No respect will leave your tires flat and give you a bloody nose. - Monday March 02, 9:42AM
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

hey , great topic! Can we rewrite hockey or golf rules after?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I do agree in part and try to show locals respect....ask questions and take a number like everyone else.

The agro threats just suck tho ....but I do understand that we are all getting overrun by new crowds....no good answers there :roll: :evil: imagine how the Mauians feel :? I feel for them way more now it’s happening here, I understand it better

Maybe we could build a wall?

PS: on a big day if there are kites I’m carrying knives for the lines...freaky dangerous :idea: Pistol is like that
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Aggro sucks big time.

And ...

When you are on a craft that has advantages, there is a responsibility to use that "power" wisely , in my view anyway.

When you SUP surf, don't hog waves and make sure you are careful with the larger board. Also, call sets if you are standing and see them earlier.

On a windsurfer, don't come from behind on swell and snake surfers and SUP surfers.

On a kite, don't use your mobility to snake everyone else and remember your 20 m safe zone.

On a foil - well, just keep that machete away from everyone.

It is mostly common sense.

I do feel for the folks complaining about kite-assholes. Kiting is hazardous for people around you in a way that surfing and windsurfing is not. I do it all , including foiling now, and must say that I have tried to have polite conversations with fellow kiters and they are the guys most likely to respond as if they are the NRA and I am trying to take their guns away.

Having said that, those encounters are less than a handful among hundreds of much more friendly interactions.

I really think it should be the kite community having the chats to their buddies, because the risk is loss of use of areas if there are complaints or people get hurt.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Nicely said Tempy
Windwave

" my beach"

Post by Windwave »

CTK

Post by CTK »

Kited Ventura California in side off conditions and the few surfers were apologizing for charging for waves we were on coming down the line from the point. First time I had surfers being apologetic and giving right of way respectfully.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

That is a great song!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
CTK

Post by CTK »

I always give right of way to surfers. Windsurfers I will ride the proper right of wave line up with but if I see a bad situation involving windsurfer I will give them the right of way as they aren't as maneuverable. Except for the beard baron of Pistol. That guys a dick and has put me in bad situations on purpose, snakes my waves just for him to get pounded.
Accidents do happen and I'd hope for surfers to also be respectful.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Don't mind me...

And remember punching someone in the face might seem fun and all, but there's always someone bigger and badder... or your 6'8" 300lb cellmate might think all that surfing made your butt look pretty cute.
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

windwave how do we even know who you are to give due respect for your localness and also to give thanks for confronting this dangerous kiter.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Localism

Post by tempy »

Moving comments here from the discussion board:

Windwave: If you want to become a surfer, you must learn the rules of the sport. The so-called surf etiquette is a list of dos and don'ts you should keep in mind while in the water. When surfers don't follow the basic commandments of surfing, accidents, injuries, and misunderstandings happen. Remember that there are priority rules in the waves and that a surfboard's nose can kill. Surf etiquette is a set of guidelines for beginners, intermediate and advanced surfers. It applies to all line-ups of the world. Respect others and enjoy surfing. 1. Right of Way The fundamental rule in surfing tells us that the surfer closest to the peak always gets priority. In other words, if you're paddling for a right-hand wave, and a fellow surfer is on your left shoulder, you must give priority to him or her. 2. Don't Drop In In surfing, the general rule of thumb is one man/woman, one wave. In most cases, you can't have two surfers riding the same wave in the same direction. When you disrespect the right-of-way rule, you're "burning" someone's wave and showing the utmost lack of respect. You are actually ruining a wave for someone else like you, who also enjoys surfing. Dropping in may result in severe injuries and damaged surfboards, so don't do to others what you wouldn't want to be done to yourself. Relax, take a deep breath, and wait for your turn. There will always be another way. 3. Give Respect to Gain Respect Interact with other surfers in a civilized way, even if a minority is still learning good manners. If you're surfing in a place you don't know, respect the locals. And whenever an outsider visits your home break, treat him or her with respect and share a few waves. - Wednesday March 03, 9:28AM
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Localism

Post by tempy »

Moving comments from discussion board:

Martyd: Cool Story Bro! When surfing, surfing rules apply! When kiting, kiting rules apply! There is a rotation that EVERYONE WORLDWIDE FOLLOWS. If you see that you don't get the best wave in the set, you circle around and maybe get a better one next time. It is not a case of "I am a local so I get whatever wave I want". You saw I had a better wave in the set and you wanted it. You short tacked back to shore after your wave fizzled out and waited to then "burn me" on a wave I was already riding in rotation. I have kited waves worldwide, there is a rotation system not "me local, me boss". Short tacker loses right in way in kiteboarding, read the rules bud. But this has nothing to do with right of way. This is intimidation and bullying. This has happened in the past with you on multiple occasions. I posted about it before and you freaked out. You have gone after other members on here too. I tried to talk to you about right of way on the water and on the beach. But instead YOU SLASHED MY TIRES AND SMASHED MY WINDOW. I, and pretty much everyone else out there are there to have fun, not start trouble and fights. I even made good with you after you bitched me out for simply laying my lines at "your beach". Take a few deep breaths. Calm down. None of this needed to happen. Once you learn that kiting rules and surfing rules are not the same, maybe you will see what you did was wrong. But even so a calm talk on the beach is far better than vandalism. This is not about right of way. This in intimidation and bullying. Not acceptable. Sorry to rant on here everyone but we are here for fun, not anger and trouble. Happy to speak with anyone regarding right if way, but vandalism is not the answer to a simple disagreement. - Thursday March 04, 5:31AM
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Closest to peak is kinda garbage for priority since a kiter can seemly "ride" a lump from way offshore, or in the case that happened to me recently just boost onto the wave I was already riding landing closer to the peak than I was. Probably that guys 30th wave of the day and my 2nd, had me right pissed off.
JL

Post by JL »

As a kiter and windsurfer I've never had to deal with or promoted "agro". In this covid time I don't think it is appropriate to discus it on this message board so I will move it to the "localism" thread. -Martyd: Seazen it's totally fine if you are a "local". No names but I have seen most of them do it. Only an issue when a "non local" does it. Do you see the theme here? Just for the record it was a dumb move and I don't condone it, but double standard much? - Friday March 05, 10:04AM
Otlunch: Phil, thanks for connecting the dots. I now understand that if you self-identify as a local, vandalism, threats of violence and vandalism, hypocrisy on rules, are all ok. - Friday March 05, 9:37AM Uddereef: I am no lawyer but isnt vandalism a crime.? - Friday March 05, 8:29AM
Seazen: In what part of the world is it acceptable to kite through a packed surf lineup in light wind ? 🤷🏼‍♂️ - Friday March 05, 8:04AM
Ajspencer: Maybe we should all take some of Kus’ drugs before going out. Sounds like good stuff! - Friday March 05, 7:24AM
Martyd: Lateriser excellent comment. After Windwave freaked out at me for rigging my lines on his beach, I went up to the club to have a talk with him about what the problem was. All I got what "not a local", "f*ck off", "watch your tires", and "watch your back". Then 2 weeks ago we had a calm chat after I helped him fix his lines. We shook hands and made good(even though I literally just ran my lines, that was my crime). On the day in question Windwave intentionally "burned me" and multiple waves. He is aware of right of way, this is no accident. "Maybe we have a disagreement on right of way" I think? So I try to talk to him on the water. Just screaming yelling threats to my personal safety and property. I then again try to talk to him as he comes to shore. More threats to me and my personal property. Then he trashed my truck so... Happy to try and talk thing out, and I tried multiple times...this is a two way street here boys. But again this is not about safety or right of way. This is straight up bullying and intimidation under the guise of safety and right of way to back the actions. Grow up man, high-school was a long time ago. Got a 360 dash cam now :) - Friday March 05, 5:58AM
Lateriser: To install another "kids bedroom control webcam" is in my opinion same thing as a "red light - ticket" camera- wrong way. We need to dig out or learn conversation skills and figure out to get along with each other. The comment from Windwave is excellent and covers everything . We need more respectful conflict solving training - and less surveillance cameras - Thursday March 04, 10:46PM
Themorb: Unlike (kite)surf etiquette there is actual legislation that covers damage and threats of damage to private property. Dash cams and action cams are a dime a dozen these days... just sayin... maybe we could get BWD to install a webcam too so we can all watch the action :P whoa whoa whoa too far too far - Thursday March 04, 9:19PMMartyd: Cool Story Bro! When surfing, surfing rules apply! When kiting, kiting rules apply! There is a rotation that EVERYONE WORLDWIDE FOLLOWS. If you see that you don't get the best wave in the set, you circle around and maybe get a better one next time. It is not a case of "I am a local so I get whatever wave I want". You saw I had a better wave in the set and you wanted it. You short tacked back to shore after your wave fizzled out and waited to then "burn me" on a wave I was already riding in rotation. I have kited waves worldwide, there is a rotation system not "me local, me boss". Short tacker loses right in way in kiteboarding, read the rules bud. But this has nothing to do with right of way. This is intimidation and bullying. This has happened in the past with you on multiple occasions. I posted about it before and you freaked out. You have gone after other members on here too. I tried to talk to you about right of way on the water and on the beach. But instead YOU SLASHED MY TIRES AND SMASHED MY WINDOW. I, and pretty much everyone else out there are there to have fun, not start trouble and fights. I even made good with you after you bitched me out for simply laying my lines at "your beach". Take a few deep breaths. Calm down. None of this needed to happen. Once you learn that kiting rules and surfing rules are not the same, maybe you will see what you did was wrong. But even so a calm talk on the beach is far better than vandalism. This is not about right of way. This in intimidation and bullying. Not acceptable. Sorry to rant on here everyone but we are here for fun, not anger and trouble. Happy to speak with anyone regarding right if way, but vandalism is not the answer to a simple disagreement. - Thursday March 04, 5:31AMWindwave: If you want to become a surfer, you must learn the rules of the sport. The so-called surf etiquette is a list of dos and don'ts you should keep in mind while in the water. When surfers don't follow the basic commandments of surfing, accidents, injuries, and misunderstandings happen. Remember that there are priority rules in the waves and that a surfboard's nose can kill. Surf etiquette is a set of guidelines for beginners, intermediate and advanced surfers. It applies to all line-ups of the world. Respect others and enjoy surfing. 1. Right of Way The fundamental rule in surfing tells us that the surfer closest to the peak always gets priority. In other words, if you're paddling for a right-hand wave, and a fellow surfer is on your left shoulder, you must give priority to him or her. 2. Don't Drop In In surfing, the general rule of thumb is one man/woman, one wave. In most cases, you can't have two surfers riding the same wave in the same direction. When you disrespect the right-of-way rule, you're "burning" someone's wave and showing the utmost lack of respect. You are actually ruining a wave for someone else like you, who also enjoys surfing. Dropping in may result in severe injuries and damaged surfboards, so don't do to others what you wouldn't want to be done to yourself. Relax, take a deep breath, and wait for your turn. There will always be another way. 3. Give Respect to Gain Respect Interact with other surfers in a civilized way, even if a minority is still learning good manners. If you're surfing in a place you don't know, respect the locals. And whenever an outsider visits your home break, treat him or her with respect and share a few waves. - Wednesday March 03, 9:28AM
Thermals are good.