COVID - Should we be on the water?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

Do you think it is OK to Kiteboard/polesurf with what is going with COVID right now

As long as you keep your distance from people, and wash your hands before/after you are launching/landing a kite
75%
Dude, just stay inside!
25%

Total votes: 16

wullis

COVID - Should we be on the water?

Post by wullis »

I am thinking of going kiting, but also want to be socially responsible. I am also on the fence on the optics of being out there when many people are staying home. I think there is zero risk of me getting/giving COVID (or the flu/cold, etc) while out on the water, and keeping my distance on the beach. What are your thoughts?
There's nothing wrong with a little tuck tape love bite on your kite...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Two things:

Sewage treatment plant below CB stinks like hell, maybe no staff so it may pollute both CB, Parksville and SP. No idea about Vic. Sewage may be Virus mega loaded. So another reason to stay dry....Guess clam/oyster season ends early too :(

As onlookers see a few kites the impression may be that you are in a group esp if catching/launching kites. Tough to avoid anyone on the stairs too at Kook...I’d go up or downwind or quit if more than a couple kites are out...

I’m going biking, hiking and back country skiing if work shuts down...or sail out G n west for an afternoon bringing my own food/fuel
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
wullis

Post by wullis »

Well said, Kus. I posted on kite forum, asking people’s impression on riding a surfboard with 10m lines. Hoping that I stumble on to the golden ticket with my 10m razor and surfboard for getting access at smaller, less used beaches. Personally I am gonna give Cook st a miss for the next while, but other people can make their own decisions. It sucks, I love that place.
There's nothing wrong with a little tuck tape love bite on your kite...
winddude

Post by winddude »

another thing to consider, maybe sail / kite on the more conservative side, don't push your limits, you don't want to be adding extra load to the health care system with sprains, stitches, concussions right now. Or exposing yourself to hospitals, contributing to the spread, there's been talk that 100% of health care workers could contract covid-19.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I know some people with a session to rescue ratio of near 1:1. They defintely should not kite.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

On Friday my vote was to kite.. but all weekend I've been thinking that it probably wasn't a smart move.. reason being is cause if anything happened like blowing out my knee again.. the health system is so fucked right now it would've been in a bad situation exposing myself... that is if I got help..

so many would've offered help a few months ago but right now people are worried if you approach them too closely.. or sit next to them.. or have a tiny cough..

just remember if you do go out.. don't expect anyone to come rescue you these days.. seriously if you're drowning or have the need for CPR people will be keeping a great distance from you.. and you'll wait while they get some PPE on and wait until they can protect themselves while your brain is melting from no oxygen....