Island Map#2 - Google Maps 'For development purposes only'

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

Frankenstien

Island Map#2 - Google Maps 'For development purposes only'

Post by Frankenstien »

Hey all ... new here ... searched forums for 'Google Maps' and didn't see anything in the search results jump out at me re: Island Map#2 (Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit OS & IE11 32-bit) - Google Maps 'For development purposes only' advice ... it doesn't seem to cause any real issues, just wondering what's happening.

I've been seeing this for a few weeks now ... is it the IE11 I'm using, or, is there something else afoot here?

Thanks, FFF
Attachments
20NOV18 screen capture of BWD.ca Island Map#2 IE11 tab view
20NOV18 screen capture of BWD.ca Island Map#2 IE11 tab view
BigWaveDave.ca - Island Map#2 (on IE11, with Google Maps 'For development purposes only' advice).jpg (574.04 KiB) Viewed 12260 times
gwydionjhr

Post by gwydionjhr »

I think it's the API the website is using, I've actually seen that on a half dozen sites around the web over the last little bit.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Google making changes and sites can't keep up. Similar to how most sites are now :NOT SECURE (like this one ;) )
curses - foiled again!
Frankenstien

Post by Frankenstien »

ahhh ... thanks for the messages ... not an issue with my browser then ...

BTW ... how long I gotta' be a 'kook'? What means 'kook' here?

FYI - I rely on BWD.ca (any Android app planned? other than the page for mobiles at http://www.bigwavedave.ca/mobile/bwdmobile.html) together with Marine Forecasts from Environment Canada (E.C. Wx app pending, supposedly) in my capacity as a LaunchMaster shuttling deep sea ship pilots to and fro.

FFF
JL

Post by JL »

I made this http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=8 a few years ago but haven't had any feedback from android users :P
Thermals are good.
Frankenstien

Post by Frankenstien »

Thanks JL ... I'll check it out and try and provide you with some feedback ... I find that using the normal BWD.ca - Island Map#2 webpage interface via the Firefox browser (Version 63.0.2) on my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (Android 8.0.0), I am obviously not able to mouse hover (as I would on a PC) over individual wind stations in order to see the latest observation time & wind speed there, as well as gusting, if any (on the S7, I just settle for looking at the direction and relative vector length of the wind stations of greatest interest to me and leave it at that) ... the mandatory 'Use two fingers to move the map' function is also a pain, as more often than not, using two fingers, the zoom changes wildly and one must start over by getting back to the correct region and zoom level.

FFF

1101PST21NOV18 FFF edit: I see that page=8 of yours is not an Android app per se but a condensed list of useful shortcut links to various specialized Wx sites ... next time I go to work, I'll get out the S7 and test how page=8 displays and try the links I deem most useful ... and get back to this thread ...
Last edited by Frankenstien on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Frank - to answer one question I see gwydionjhr with 7 posts has advanced and is no longer 'kook' :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

I made it a one stop link. Just remember to close each window after you have the info. you want 8)
Thermals are good.
Frankenstien

Post by Frankenstien »

more force 4 ... ahhh ... FFF
Frankenstien

Post by Frankenstien »

JL ... roger that ... FFF
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Frankenstien wrote:ahhh ... thanks for the messages ... not an issue with my browser then ...

BTW ... how long I gotta' be a 'kook'? What means 'kook' here?
at your apparent rate and not editing your posts...a couple days unless you keep using those acronyms....then you will be FFFFForever
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Frankenstien

Post by Frankenstien »

KUS ... so, I seemed to get past being a 'kook' after my 5th post ... I guess the BWD idea of a kook is someone who merely dabbles in water sports ... I'm no board'r or kite'r (few such toys existed in Kelowna in the late 60's, early 70's ... but we were in awe of, and inspired by, a guy named Greg Athans, who was hang-gliding from a skiing start off OK Lake or Big White in those days ... heady stuff) ... but I try to take full advantage of the technological innovations these days vis-a-vis Wx resources ... it helps keep me out of trouble at work ... kudos to BWDave!

Frickin' Fruckin' Franken
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Frankenstien wrote:KUSI try to take full advantage of the technological innovations these days vis-a-vis Wx resources ... it helps keep me out of trouble at work ... kudos to BWDave!

Frickin' Fruckin' Franken
INDEED, gratitude be to thee who provideth reliable and current Wx info :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....