Latest Reports --> Text Message?

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Latest Reports --> Text Message?

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

[I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the topic...]

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get an hourly weather update sent to a cell phone via text message. (I don't have a web browsing cell plan, so I can't use Dave's fancy cell phone update feature http://www.bigwavedave.ca/help/PDA_help.htm.)

I'd ideally like to temporarily set up hourly updates for a certain weather station before I start a trip, so I can monitor the wind as I drive to one of those locations that is a few hours away. When I return to home I'd like to then turn off the updates.

I'm sure there are several ways of attacking this problem.

I found some weather websites that offer text message or email updates; however, I haven't found one yet that allows for hourly updates from lighthouses and buoys. Maybe someone knows of one?

The information could be sent in an email too, since I could then use Telus' email to text message function (; http://www.telusmobility.com/sendamessa ... sage.shtml).

Perhaps there a program that could run on my computer that would retrieve the web info then email it to my phone? RSS feed to email? Something! It seems that all the parts are there...they just need to be linked!

[Uh-oh, this is reminiscent of the "Desktop Applet" topic]
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Do you want text messages every hour or only above a certain wind speed? I have wind alerts sent to my cell phone using an email to . I've been meaning to set this up for others but haven't had time. I could send you wind alerts too, or it would be fairly easy to send you a text message every hour (at the end of each hour) with the latest reports. If you let me know what you're after I might be able to help. Also make sure you're not charged for each message...
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Thanks Dave. That sounds pretty close to what I was thinking of. I'd like the update every hour, no matter what the speed. I'd also like to select a specific site or two (e.g. Sheringham for a trip to Gordon's)

Yah, I'm not sure what the most recent Telus changes have been for incoming text messages. That is partially why I'd like to be able to turn the updates on/off at will.

I'm in no hurry...this would really be a luxury...
Last edited by ~~~~~4j~~ on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wavos Rancheros

weather radio

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

This is a great idea for people without a cell internet plan, but don't forget marine reports are broadcast continuously if you are anywhere near water, so you could carry a cheapo radio shack marine weather receiver. I've had one for years, don't think its cost me more than one set of batteries so far... :wink:

If you do set it up though Dave, i'd like to give it a try, except my cell is on virgin mobile :shock:
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Hey you high tec guys - Why not try holding your wet finger in the air!
curses - foiled again!
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

...ok I'm just jealous - I don't have a cell phone..
curses - foiled again!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

~~~~~4j~~ wrote:Thanks Dave. That sounds pretty close to what I was thing of. I'd like the update every hour, no matter what the speed. I'd also like to select a specific site or two (e.g. Sheringham for a trip to Gordon's)

Yah, I'm not sure what the most recent Telus changes have been for incoming text messages. That is partially why I'd like to be able to turn the updates on/off at will.

I'm in no hurry...this would really be a luxury...
Okay, this sounds like a bit of a project now though. I'd like to get it done eventually since I think the site is missing this component. Also I find the wind alerts on my cell useful and it's even made me turn around on a few Gordon's trips. I can't see myself getting to this unfortunately until the new year. I'm moving and have to pack/organize, I have a few work trips coming up, and I have some updating to do for the gallery and forum. But maybe someone else could get this going ... ?

I see two ways of doing this. Both would involve a php front end that allows logged in users to pick a sites(s) and wind thresholds and would save their email address to a database or a cfg file. Then either my home PC would load the info and do the checking/emailing. Or even better, have the web server run a cron job every 15mins or so and load the pda wind speed file and parse the data and load the wind alert user database and send emails if required. Also maybe including marine forecast messages in the future too. It's not a huge task but it would take a bit of time.

dave
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Awesome, Dave. I should have suspected that you'd have already started planning something like this. I wish I could help, but I can't even really understand your last post! I'll just keep sending money.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

After briefly investigating Twitter, it seems that it would deal with a lot of the little steps needed to complete this service. You can already get weather warnings and some weather updates from what I can see. I don't have time to investigate this in depth though. Maybe someone has already done this?

The 140 max number of characters should be good for wind updates for a few sites, but I don't think you could fit in info for all stations. How about having updates for a select number of sites like CB, Gordos, JR, and LB -- the ones that take a while to drive to.