My new favourite spot!

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
bean

My new favourite spot!

Post by bean »

Ok, I think I have finally solved the mystery of where to sail a northwesterly near Nanaimo. The answer :idea: is Orlebar Point on Gabriola Island. My session today was lame but it was under 15 knots and I don't have BIG gear. Unfortunately I forgot my camera - next time.

Getting there: from Nanaimo the ferry was $25ish for two of us return - no waiting - just arrive on time and drive right on. Ferry takes 20 minutes then it's a 5 minute drive to the point, maybe 7. So easy.

There are 5 parking spots, a couple of picnic tables and some grassy patches for rigging. The big BUT is that it's a rocky launch. I didn't have any trouble but it's not as nice as a proper beach. Booties are a must and it might be tricky with bigger swell. There are a couple of nice bays downwind you could sail/swim to if you got in trouble.

You basically sail back and forth between the point and Entrance Island which I would guess would take a minute and a half at full planing speed. It's totally exposed to the wind and waves from the strait. I uploaded a couple of maps but the satellite coverage on google maps in this area is weak:

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/thumb ... ?album=275

I'm thinking this might be a good spot for the morning thermals in the summer too - no teetering out in the rotors at Piper's, just clean wind and swells. To top it all off I had probably the best veggie burger of my life at lunch including a golf ball sized wad of goat cheese .... mmmmmmmm ... cheese ... :oops:
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Beaner- sorry, meant to post on message board but computer went down after I read your info request on Gabriola. My favorite island by far!! What a great place to retire to, dry, sunny, good access to Nanaimo, golf and wind, fishing.

Here is the map link to find your way around: http://www.gabriolaisland.org/GICC/mapLarge.htm

I have sailed from the Descanso Road area (the mushroom shaped peninsula off Berry Pt Road. It blows straight into and slightly onshore on west side of Taylor bay, one tack from public accesses (there are several) mostly grandual rock shelf and some sandy beach and your're in the Duke pt ferry lane hitting ramps :P If something goes wrong you drift right back into the bay. You can also try launching from the Sands park area off Descanso Rd but there is a small wind shadow there but what a spot to leave the family behind: no wind, sunny exposure, playground!! A store walking distance for ice cream :P
I sure wouldn't sail off your new favorite spot tho, thought about it lots but, hey, no help there dood!! :shock:

If anyone wanted to camp over there, there isn't much but you can stay at the all inclusive Haven Inn right on Taylor Bay (spa, self-improvement, self-evaluation therapy and what not) or the cheaper Surf Lodge on Berry Pt road facing up the straight which also has rooms, bare camping in back and one of the only pubs around with across the road water views! I almost bought that place for 600k back in late 90's but I would have lost my family (and my $$ to buy it :P ) in the process :wink: The hippy life running a pub, campground isolated on a rock with no drinking water was a bit much :lol: You can probably also get away with parking in the lot at the Sands park for one night if you are mellow and not conspicious, there are benches, access to pilot bay (other side of the mushroom) and your van/moho would be ocean front & view 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Windsurfish

Doode!!!

Post by Windsurfish »

I'm glad someone has finally dropped the $25 and tried it out! I have been looking down at that spot for over a year on those infrequent seaplane flights to Van/Sunshine coast. It does look absolutely exposed :), and with a NW it will rule. Not a good spot for SE though - any trouble and you are visiting Powell River or Texada :)

Good On you Bean - :)
Windsurfish

NW In Nanaimo....

Post by Windsurfish »

I have been watching the winds on the Highway edge of Nannoose Bay for a while. When heading north, pull off the highway, slightly before the park/pullout on the southbound side. As you may know, I am living near there on the bay, and although I would love to say my yard is the best on the bay, it is not so. The NW and SE both fill in fully at this location. The beach approach is regularly used by oyster pickers/clam diggers, and is close to the car, with a small downhill to the beach, just across the tracks that are used exactly twice a day. It is closer from car to water than many sites at Nitinat. Advantages - NW and SE, shallow sloped pebble beach (downwinded on NW is an easy walk, downwinded on SE will involve avoiding old pilings but is still an easy walk). The reach is ~1Kmish, with bigger waves in the middle than at shores edge (especially in SE) Drawbacks - flattish in NW because very little fetch and it t will never be a wave sailing paradise on a SE, but - it may be a great option for beginner/intermediate sailors in Nanaimo in the winter. I will try it on soonish - anyone wanna go? :?
bean

Post by bean »

Kus, thanks for the info. I had a look around "the mushroom" but the windshadow at the nice launches seemed brutal. I'll have another look when there's more wind (and without a two year old in the back seat yelling "SEE CRABS!!! SEE CRABS!!!). The end of Seagrit Rd. looks promising too.

Windsurfish, Nanoose is very appealing in terms of access but I'm pretty wave hungry and determined to be out in the Strait if I can. Hope we can sail together soon and put faces to handles.

Hopefully more Gabriola reports to come - with pictures next time.

Post by chewy »

Hey Bean, sorry I missed the outing. When I used to dive Olebar Pt it was pretty exciting getting in and out of the water in a bigger swell, have to be quick with the gear to avoid damage on the rocks.
I am trying to convince my Dad to go out this summer on a good NW in his 34' sailboat that way I can sail in the vicinity then throw my gear on board when I am done or he can drag me upwind to get back to Pipers. I will let you know if it happens.
bean

Post by bean »

Cool! I've always wanted to windsurf from a sailboat. Brought gear aboard once but there wasn't enough wind. Summer sailing can't come soon enough. :D
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

7 year old thread resurrected..... and I am still here :lol: and still don't own a surf lodge :roll: or even a surf shack :cry:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KUS wrote:and still don't own a surf lodge :roll: or even a surf shack :cry:
No time like the present. I'd put my vote forward for Ucluelet, or Nootka or something nearby with a boat. Reservations for a couple weeks each summer. Thanks.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

been there haven't done that!

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

wow guys and gals awesome!!! i've been visiting a friend there for years and have seen some epic wind. couldn't pull up the map. do you mean the north shore of the island? where the northwest would hit? epic. would love to try it out. i'd have to pay 25 x 2 to get back to salty spring island....COMMUTER card. ask for the commuter card. 40% discount for the gulf islands. no proof of residence ever needed. works for all islands, except vancouver.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.