Rugged point marine park

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
fisher

Rugged point marine park

Post by fisher »

Took 2 kites out to rugged point in hopes of some winter winds / waves . The forcast was for 25-35 se turning to 25-35 nw . Swell size was predicted to be around 6' .
We found a good place to launch on the main beach in the SE wind . I'd estimate that it was 20kts and a bit gusty. The south brooks buoy has the wind around 30kts , but it wasn't anywhere near that on the beach .
Swell is blocked by the chain of barrier islands. Fun waves around shoulder high , the outer reef has some monsters slamming into them , I stayed within a few hundred meters of shore .

The Nw was strong but I couldn't find a decent launch site . On a very low tide it's possible on the inside to claw off the beach but not making it back would have hellish consequences. just went surfing with nice offshore instead!!
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i windsurfed out there back in about '96. There are a few nice beaches south of rugged point. big black dorsal fins cruising by kept me real close to the beach! I got out there by boat to Port Eliza camp and then by truck up the coast (i was doing some forestry/geo work at the time). ive heard talk since then about roads connecting through via zeballos but nothing verified. 8)
fisher

Post by fisher »

as far as I know it's still the uchuck to port Eliza . Somebody has purchased land just at the south end of the park and that's how they are going back and forth. Saw 2 whales out there but didn't get their names ...
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I was there kayaking in the summer. There were nice little kayakable waves, getting to be "I'm glad I'm not riding that one" pitchpoling potential. I could see this being a great kiting spot. Huge sandy clean beach. That place is a long way from help if anything goes wrong though!

There was some heavy equipment and stuff just south of the beach; I gather someone wants to open an exclusive 'wilderness' resort.