Nitinat Road Reports 2017

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
nanmoo

Nitinat Road Reports 2017

Post by nanmoo »

Here's the first (partial) one!

Today the North Shore was 9/10 and freshly graded to the end of the lake where the grader broke down near the little shaw main. No idea what it's like past there. I guess people will find out this weekend!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
GoldenRule

Thurs may 4

Post by GoldenRule »

Road was graded down youbou side. Was good about 10km past end of lake. By good I mean smooth yet tons of mud. Some of it pretty deep. No problems with truck and small SUV. After the logging mud turns to old ungraded Rd. Averaged 40km/hr past this point. Better once you hit nitnaht/portalbeni intersection but not amazing. Honda civics would take time but could make it maybe.
Double.skunk

May 7

Post by Double.skunk »

second half of the road out to the lake could use a grading. I made it on a Honda Accord.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Port side is good ...A bit ruff last 20km to lake but that's kind of expected. .. 8)
knottyPat

Post by knottyPat »

Not surprised with all the beautiful weather we've had so far.... :shock: Hoping for a longer break soon and for the lake to rip!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

North Shore to end of Lake 9/10.

Middle section 7/10.

Last section from PA turnoff to Village 8/10.

Not the best ever but speeds no lower than 50 km/h up to 90 km/h.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

SLOW DOWN!!

some sections are only 30km/hr.. there's no reason to be driving up to 90km/hr!!

give your head a shake ...
GWIND

Road warriors

Post by GWIND »

8) I drove over one of the bridges at 60 mph one time. Got that Moho airborne. Fun, my passenger was mad though,the ceiling was hard.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I'm not the only one traveling with a family along this road and if people want to travel and arrive alive people need to slow down on this road.. sure its graded and its a nice drive but its not your own personal highway. the road prior is 100km/hr and is designed for safe travel at that speed.. a logging road with loose surface and blind corners / crests is not..
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

There are several long straight sections of the road where its perfectly safe to do 90 when its well graded. I noted exactly same speeds as Tony but don't count the tight corners, bridge approaches, Red Rock, etc. where 30 or less is the safe speed as I'm sure he didn't. The trip out was way slower than in, as in I passed no-one either direction coming in the entire way; but out was much heavier traffic and the resulting dust required slowing way down even on straight sections.
JL

Post by JL »

Edited May 30 after a complaint. While I realize the chatter is meant as fun please lets keep this thread ( & others) suitable for all. Perhaps P.M's would be a good way for the 'other' comments :idea: Jl
Thermals are good.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

For the most part the road is dramatically worse than a month ago.

First section to just past the Cottages on the North Shore is as good as its been with a fresh seal coat (so it seems), then it just gets annoying for the final 3/4. Potholes are not massive, but large enough to rattle you and they are everywhere.

Plan for some extra time.
winddude

Post by winddude »

yup, much worse than may long. first third is bad, only one random section near the middle that is decent. some larger rock starting to get exposed.

Also if anyone finds a big chrome hubcap, it's probably mine.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I've got friends coming this Friday that have never been. It's hard for me to tell since I know the route well and I'm not paying attention, but it's well enough marked these days that instructions aren't really necessary, right?
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

(end of June observations) In my opinion road is phenomenal in sections, devil-made horrible in others, with no hint of a warning at the transitions from great to poor sections. Poor sections tend to be (as usual) at the locations where the road is hugging a rock outcropping.