Best Oregon/ Washington State microbrew IPA?

A place to discuss anything non-weather and non-wind/kitesurf related. Generally unmoderated, but rules are enforced on occasion => you can get suspended or kicked out and messages can get deleted.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Best Oregon/ Washington State microbrew IPA?

Post by KUS »

well, I used to say that the Inversion Image
by Deschutes in Bend was the best.....but....they have done "something" :?: to their beer, not sure what.....anyhow, I no longer am crazy about it.... I still like it a fair bit but have switched to Ninkasi Brewing's Total Domination IPA for now. Image
They also have the Tricerahops which is even better, but more costly and most importantly not available in a six or 12 pack :?

Still like the lighter Torpedo Image
from Cali but that's against my "local brew only" rule now to cut on the carbon footprint for beer.

The unfortunate problem I have with discovering better brews is that usually shopping for this stuff is limited to the Safeway or Fred Meyers locations....best to try the brew pubs themselves but alas, everytime I venture into an American pub there`s Pabst and Bud on tap :roll: :oops:

Let me know if you come across one available readily in stores and where.
Wish the Germans would increase their canned beer costs, too hard to resist a half a 1/2 L for $2 try the MaiBock, so much for no carbon footprint :oops:
Last edited by KUS on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Kevin B

Post by Kevin B »

A subject near and dear to my heart. Thumbs up to the Ninkasi.

Try Bridgeport Hop Czar, also try Deschutes Hop in the Dark. Lastly give Thunderhead IPA a try.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Kevin B wrote:A subject near and dear to my heart. Thumbs up to the Ninkasi.

Try Bridgeport Hop Czar, also try Deschutes Hop in the Dark. Lastly give Thunderhead IPA a try.
oh but where to buy, this is the critical info....I have seen and tried the thunderhead, can't remember where but will look for it again, yes it was pretty good....but the purchase location(s), hopefully a franchise?
Wish less, sail more!!

Kevin B

Post by Kevin B »

I've always bought them in Safeway, Fred Meyer or large chain drug stores. I did trip to Seaside last fall and that those are the stores we used. Hop Czar does come in 6 packs. "Hop in the Dark" might only be sold in singles. Lastly I know this breaks the buy local rule but if you see Ranger IPA out of Colarado I highly recommend you try it, (in case you find yourself in Colarado some day).
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Kevin B wrote:I've always bought them in Safeway, Fred Meyer or large chain drug stores. I did trip to Seaside last fall and that those are the stores we used. Hop Czar does come in 6 packs. "Hop in the Dark" might only be sold in singles. Lastly I know this breaks the buy local rule but if you see Ranger IPA out of Colarado I highly recommend you try it, (in case you find yourself in Colarado some day).
cool, thanks, I will have a closer look again :D and....I always wanted to visit Colorado, might wait for winter tho :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!

Kevin B

Post by Kevin B »

I really need to check my spelling before I post. Can't wait to head back to OR in September.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

tried both the Ranger (Beer Advocate 86, very good) AND the brother "Rambunktious" Rampant :lol: (Beer Advocate 84, good) both brown labels, Safeway has them in, from New Belgium Brewing. 6 packs. The Ranger is a bit tamer than the other, both pretty sweet tho....as in awesome and as in sugar....so after a few you had enough.
I keep coming back to our Fat Tug as one of the best going :idea:

Uoohh, I would be remiss to not mention the Cyclops IPA, Cascade Lakes Brewing which is pretty fabulous. 650ml bottles only and on the upper end of the price scale, at times on sale for under $5 but usually around $6-7. Very full bodies and you can have a few of these quite happily :twisted: Beer Advocate didn't rank it all that highly, only 79 = Okay, oddly enough
Wish less, sail more!!

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

http://category12beer.com/

Insubordinate Session IPA was very good, local and all. Rivals Fat Tug :idea:

My current favorite is Oakshire IPA from Eugene, 650ml only the way it was meant to be, available at Safeway
Wish less, sail more!!

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

My new current favourite is JOE IPA by US firm 10 Barrel Brewing
So good it is more fruity and thirst quenching than their very good Apocalypse IPA.... and much more politically correct given North Korea and Trump :? :D

Another worthy local honourable mention is Alpha Male IPA by Wolf brewing out of Nanaimo ...awesome name too and 650 ml of goodness :twisted: tho approaching $7 /bottle :roll: :x
Wish less, sail more!!