El Nino / La nina / Neutral

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

I read it, I like it, keep it up please.
uddereef
Website Donor
Website Donor

El nino

Post by uddereef »

agree with you Mike,!!!its great when people are generous with their knowledge.!!!!
JL

Post by JL »

Or in my case LACK of knowledge :shock: But thanks :P
Thermals are good.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I always read this post too. Keep it up JL! It's fun to use this info to make up stories to try to explain why we get wind and why we are getting puked on so much lately.
curses - foiled again!
Sandy Beach

forecasts and weather patterns

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thank-you, JL for helping to make this BWD wind/weather site such a comprehensive resource.

Many observers value the info links and appreciate the time/energy you offer to the wind community!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: forecasts and weather patterns

Post by KUS »

Sandy Beach wrote:Thank-you, JL for helping to make this BWD wind/weather site such a comprehensive resource.

Many observers value the info links and appreciate the time/energy you offer to the wind community!
I value JL's opinion, I don't think we need to pay for it but is also an option..... :roll: it is interesting how people's posts after a simple request or suggestion can change the flavor of the intent....I just don't like the links postings without a summary as I have tried to read that mumboweatherjumbo and don't have the brains to follow or understand it...with a marine biology degree no less, so much for that....so if someone, JL or others, know what that means to us, then pls translate.

thanks for all you do JL :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yes over the years I've left a few plaintive comments. Several times I've read right through the links and learned lots about the oscillation but came away no wiser about what it might mean for local conditions. I really appreciate it when Jl or someone summarizes the local implications
JL

Post by JL »

Using my impecable hind sight : A big El Nino = Great La Ventana winter :P
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Attachments
summary.PNG
summary.PNG (80.05 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
trends.PNG
trends.PNG (232.04 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
2004-present.PNG
2004-present.PNG (151.22 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

12 May 2016
ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory / La Niña Watch

Synopsis: La Niña is favored to develop during the Northern Hemisphere summer 2016, with about a 75% chance of La Nina during the fall and winter 2016-17.

During the past month, sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies decreased across the equatorial Pacific Ocean, with near-to-below average SSTs recently emerging in the eastern Pacific . The latest Niño region indices also reflect this decline, with the steepest decreases occurring in the Niño-3 and Niño-1+2 regions . The surface cooling was largely driven by the expansion of below-average subsurface temperatures, which extended to the surface in the eastern Pacific . While oceanic anomalies are clearly trending toward ENSO-neutral, many atmospheric anomalies were still consistent with El Niño, such as the negative equatorial and traditional Southern Oscillation indices. Upper-level easterly winds persisted over the central and eastern Pacific, while low-level winds were near average. Enhanced convection continued over the central tropical Pacific and was suppressed north of Indonesia . Collectively, these anomalies reflect a weakening El Niño and a trend toward ENSO-neutral conditons.

Most models predict the end of El Niño and a brief period of ENSO-neutral by early Northern Hemisphere summer . The model consensus then calls for increasingly negative SST anomalies in the Niño 3.4 region as the summer and fall progress. However, there is clear uncertainty over the timing and intensity of a potential La Niña (3-month Niño-3.4 SST less than or equal to -0.5°C). The forecaster consensus favors La Niña onset during the summer, mainly weighting the dynamical models (such as NCEP CFSv2) and observed trends toward cooler-than-average conditions. Overall, La Niña is favored to develop during the Northern Hemisphere summer 2016, with about a 75% chance of La Nina during the fall and winter 2016-17. 8)
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

We now have a 75% probability of La Nina June-Aug. & fall/winter 2016-2017 in the N. hemisphere :? http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/a ... ts-web.pdf ... More discussion here: https://www.climate.gov/news-features/d ... /enso-blog
Attachments
probability.JPG
probability.JPG (47.85 KiB) Viewed 3378 times
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Attachments
elnino lanina.gif
elnino lanina.gif (33.75 KiB) Viewed 3189 times