Winter Sailing - ARE WE PREPARED??

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

just wanted to revamp this thread and highlight a few things...

Island View shut off and went SW after cranking SE on sunday.. 3-4 kiters were caught out there downwind on the eastern side of Haro Strait.. one ended up on James Island! others very far downwind.. maybe even rescued via paddle board..

ask yourself:
-have you gone over all your bolts and fittings?
-did you attached that extra leash to your harness?
-do you have a hook knife attached to your harness?
-when did you last check swivel connections or your lines for frays?
-do you have a GPS/VHF? or phone to carry with you if you venture farther than you can swim!??
-did you tell anyone you'd be sailing in that location?
-did you check back in at the beach to make sure no one is still looking for you?

I'm guilty as well.. and saw others coming in cause they lost a foot strap bolt.. it happens just reminding people to check over things to avoid it happening when you need your gear to work!
Last edited by abetanzo on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Meanwhile up at CB we experienced similar conditions on Saturday where it kept turning offshore and was a struggle even for a kite.

I was first out and eventually after a few hours of this, I decided enough was enough and I headed back to shore, which took three attempt to get enough wind. A kiter witnessed this, and despite my suggestion the conditions were poor and it was a bad time to launch, they did anyways. After awhile it was obvious they concluded the same and decided to come back in but by this point they were way downwind. The wind perked back up just before they hit the beach so they decided to tack back upwind. Once upwind it seemed like they were feeling pretty good about things so stayed out and pretty soon found themselves right back downwind and walking home in the dying light.

Ok so my point is to not disregard the common sense of someone who was there experiencing bogus conditions all day. If you do get lucky and make it back upwind when you know it was awful and as described, maybe just pull the chute instead of trying your luck into fading light. This person was obviously experienced enough, but still, was it really worth it for the conditions? I'd say yes if it was 20C out and 6pm in July, but probably not in 7C and 3:30 pm on December 15.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

All good points. I am a proverbial "nervous Nellie" when it comes to whether / when to go out - especially on the kite, but also on the windsurfer.

I think we could do a much better job of creating a culture of "safety first" in our community. I say this despite these very good posts now.

I think there can be a tendency to glamorize going out in "nuclear" conditions; "balls to the wall" stuff - either crazy winds; storm surf; freezing cold conditions; "last off" in fading light or winds.

They make for good stories but can create a tricky maze for impressionables to navigate - especially those who are trying to break in to the windsport community.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Think safe, do a quick pre-flight assessment of equipment. Check all your lines, u-joints, pins/clips, strap screws etc. Wear a helmet. It all goes bad and dark quickly in the winter. Let someone know where you're sailing and when you expect to be home.
I use a small fanny pack attached to the back of waist harness, it contains:
- tow rope (to save my butt or someone else's)
- whistle (to draw attention)
- strobe (to find me in the dark)
- large orange garbage bag (to find me in the day)
- space/foil blanket (to maybe keep me warm floating around on my board for an evening or two?)
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Did you know Fanny packs are 'in' again Robin? You can wear that thing out on the town apres session! :lol: 8)
Don't forget to bring a towel!
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:Think safe, do a quick pre-flight assessment of equipment. Check all your lines, u-joints, pins/clips, strap screws etc. Wear a helmet. It all goes bad and dark quickly in the winter. Let someone know where you're sailing and when you expect to be home.
I use a small fanny pack attached to the back of waist harness, it contains:
- tow rope (to save my butt or someone else's)
- whistle (to draw attention)
- strobe (to find me in the dark)
- large orange garbage bag (to find me in the day)
- space/foil blanket (to maybe keep me warm floating around on my board for an evening or two?)

Bumping the topic to remind everyone of winter and it's hazards for all.

With the uptake of "winging", I've no longer got my safety pack attached to harness, time to rethink the fanny safety pack on my sessions.
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Winter Sailing - ARE WE PREPARED??

After my dumpvalve leak and long schlog back in tough conditions I'm bumping this timeless topic to the top of our conscience!
It's that time of year to start preparing for FALL / WINTER SAILING and all the GREAT HATE :twisted: that goes with it!
Think safe, do a quick pre-flight assessment of equipment. It all goes bad and dark quickly in the winter.
  • Check all your leashes, valves, lines, u-joints, pins/clips, strap screws etc.
  • Wear a helmet.
  • Let someone know where you're sailing and when you expect to be home.