Port Renfrew

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

pontoonpete

Port Renfrew

Post by pontoonpete »

Whats the scoop on kiting at Port Renfrew?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

This was just covered in detail under one of the nitinat threads (I know that is confusing).
Don't forget to bring a towel!
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

I just spent last weekend there and it blew WEST all weekend there. Anytime that it was strong enough to ride, there also happened to be a shore bubble so I could not get offshore.

The main point I am trying to make is that although all sensors around the island were showing an EAST wind, there was a WEST of 5-15knots all weekend in Renfrew.
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Here's that thread about Nitinaht in Early May that became more about Renfrew.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5757
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hmmm, could a windsurfer have gotten off the beach with said bubble?
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Hard to say if a windsurfer could have got off the beach. I think so.

Renfrew will only get stronger over the next few weeks. We were surprised to see that there was any West wind there when all other sensors were showing East.

On Saturday there was some fun swell, we played in it for hours with the SUPs.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Damnit! I was going to come out there to catch some waves in the sun on saturday, but alas I could not find anyone who was not already tied up in prenatal classes or trips to home depot (not pointing any fingers).
KC7777

SUPing at Renfrew

Post by KC7777 »

How difficult is the SUPing at Renfrew? Anyone have any pics?

I have done a bit of surf SUPing in Tofino and Westport (and sucked pretty bad in the messed up beach breaks). I would be on a Starboard Whopper (went for stability as I am tired of falling in heading out!).

I may head out there in the first 2 weeks of May to explore (vs Nitinat) and windsurf/SUP.

Is the campsite open in May?

Can you sail/SUP right out of the campsite? It is so nice to be able to park just once and then launch to both windsurfing and SUping right from where you are camping (which is hard to do at Long Beach).

Thanks,

Keith
Last edited by KC7777 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

The two times I have been there when the waves have been going off it makes for a sombrio like set up, nice and glassy on the inside (with a big shore dump, so just time your push off the beach) with nice glassy waves breaking further out. There are lots of peaks to choose from on the good days ranging from smaller to bigger. Like JR in the summer/fall (no river flow) and sombrio (minus attitude) it is a far better place to learn to SUP-surf when compared to any of the beach breaks in Tofino as you don't get any of that whitewater feedback chop, and the sets are obvious and well spaced due to limited directional exposure to swell (part of the problem with Tofino (mainly long beach and Chestermans to a lesser degree) is it takes swell from more directions, so the period is never as clean since you are apt to get some N-W-S swells all at the same time ranging in size and period creating a mess.)

The campsite is owned by the FN reserve and is quite literally, on the beach. It's a super nice spot. Bring your rod and reel for an evening jig off your board.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi KC, when you get there, you should spend a good 15-20 minutes to visit/check out/walk around the south Campsite (or Campsite A on the map). Beach is extremely nice, some camp spot are wind proof as well, the most southern spot, near the OutHouse and the bridge.

Then go check the north campsite, and once again spend a good 15-20 minutes checking it out (beach also). Make a decision after seeing the two spots.

I just dont want someone to camp on the first campsite they see without having see the other one first. (realising afterwards: "Oh I would have prefered to camp there instead")

Registration, water and shower(if any shower not sure if they still there) are on the north side. But the South side is so nice... Beach is a lot cleaner, less driftwood.

A request for you, if you dont mind obviously: Could you take notes of aproximate wind, general temp for the time you will be there?

i.e 02 May/Rainy most of the day/ No wind
03 May/Sunny, ~10C/ wind started at 13h00, died at 18h00, only 12-14 kts..
etc...

Nothing big, just quick and easy. I will take screenshot of the history wind on some island stations + island forecast of each day and compare with your data afterwards. Once again just if you dont mind and have time.

Have fun in Patcheedaht!! (hopefully the weather cooperate for you!!!)
Attachments
SouthSide.JPG
SouthSide.JPG (244.16 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (255.3 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (326.14 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (249.37 KiB) Viewed 7638 times
Last edited by Teabag on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC7777

Renfrew

Post by KC7777 »

Hi Teabag,

Wow, thanks for the great info. The beach looks awesome. I will definitely check out both camps too.

I am a summer sailor (May - Sept) due to ski and soccer commitments on the mainland.

Though I am on the island a lot in the summer going back/forth to my parents at Hornby Isl, but I have been getting a bit bored with just Nitinat (I know the Oregon coast exists - that is another thread!).

Renfrew looks really nice and adds the potential for SUPing waves that you do not have at Nitinat. Plus I have big ws gear so I can go out in 12+. Surprised it is not busier there....as it so rare to be able to camp close to where you sail.

I definitely plan to check it out in May/June and will document weather/wind speed/direction for you.

Thanks again for the info. I will definitely have a couple of cold beers on ice for you if I see you out there.

Keith
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I was just about to call you a wuss for not coming to the OR coast Keith but I see you already took care of that!!!!
KC7777

O Coast

Post by KC7777 »

Hey nanmoo,

Let's keep my well-documented Oregon wussiness (sp?) to another thread!

I know I should go there. But guys like me enjoy camping/sailing/SUPing without driving for 16 hours. That is what this thread is all about.

Though it's kind of like skiing.....

Oregon Coast = black diamond Gabl's run on Baker on a deep day (the best)

Nitinat = green circle runs on an icy day. I would honestly kill myself if I had to ski green runs all day!

K
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Hey KC, ya, I hear ya, why ski icy green runs when you can follow two idiots (I'm one of them) through the trees when its boiler plate everywhere? Yes I know where I'm going, trust me...
nanmoo

Re: O Coast

Post by nanmoo »

KC7777 wrote: I know I should go there. But guys like me enjoy camping/sailing/SUPing without driving for 16 hours. That is what this thread is all about.
Only 11 hours 17 minutes Keith! That's only like 4.5 more than it takes you to get to Nitinat, and minus the cost of the ferry!

The excuses are weak with this one!

- Tony

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Gold+B ... ls&t=m&z=6