Port Renfrew

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

hey no need to post up that surf map please. :cry: uncool.
Last edited by downwind dave on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunkinguy

Renfrew

Post by dunkinguy »

KC- Don't expect much in the way of swell for SUP in the summer. Swells start getting rare from now on. Don't expect much in the way of thermal above 15 knts either. Glorious beach though!
Love The Hate!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: O Coast

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:11 hours 17 minutes Keith! That's only like 4.5 more than it takes you to get to Nitinat, and minus the cost of the ferry!

The excuses are weak with this one!
glad u covered that one for him, Tony, but never mind Gold Beach :oops: 8 1/2 to Florence, 2 more hours and no ferry costs :idea: heck, less time to Oceanside 8)
KC7777 wrote:Renfrew looks really nice .....Surprised it is not busier there....
guess with all this data posted this may change shortly :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

downwind dave wrote:hey no need to post up that surf map please. :cry: uncool.
Territorial mid island cow farmers... :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: must come from living up-high and further from the beach!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Need to clarify some points:

(Apr-May-June)
30%: 14-18 kts
40%: 16-21 kts
20%: 19-24 kts
7%: 3%: 25+ kts

The wind strenght percentage earlier (see above), they are base only on weekends that we went there thinking that it will be windy for sure ie sunny, warm and westerly forecast. Example: 2 weekends in April 2009, 1 in 2010, 0 in 2011... 1 weekend in May 09, 2 in May 10, 2 in May 11... 1 June 09, 3 in June 10.. etc...

They are not based on every single day of the month, if it was it would be something more like this:

60% no wind
13%: 14-18 kts
16%: 16-21 kts
9%: 18-24 kts
etc..

So KC, if you go for 7-10 days for example, it might be rainy / cloudy for the whole duration and you get no wind. If its sunny everyday, it will probably be windy everyday, but its Renfrew, light wind. (But since Nitinaht is light wind in April May, we do believe that Renfrew has higher wind than the Naht for Mid May and earlier. Similar mid May to June. Slightly Lower in June. July not worth compare to Nat. Dane and RR and others have been in July - August, had some windy days but when comparing to the Nat the Nat was 5-10 kts higher during these months....

For the Surf stuff, DownwindDave must be kidding, I never seen any surfer there during summer time. The mini wave/swell are way to small to surf on, might be good for SUP but as dunkinguy mention:

Dont expect much in the way of swell for SUP in the summer, or has I mention on the ridiculously awesome drawings on the map, Don't expect Tofino waves!!!

Only time I have seen waves there is the day it was 25-35 kts (punchy). But why surfing them when you can kite and use them to jump higher.
When that 25kts-35kts happenned people went to way better place ie Jave/LongBeach/Gordo or Cook St anyway. (I looked at session log afterwards, they had better session)

There was some small shore wave when I went in February (only on the north side), the campsite was empty and I didnt see any surfer. More than likely because by the time one would catch a wave he would need to jump out of it after 2-3 meters (not even a second), the mini wave crash on shore right away.

It is nice out there, its not busy because it doesnt get high wind (well when it does Cook St Gordo, Jave Long Beach do to, and they are better, closer and more fun places). Posted all this data so that hopefully more people check this place out and we can better predict in the future by having more observations...

1.8km wide X 2.5+ km windy lenght... Even with all this info posted I am sure that we will never see more than 12-15 kiters/ws at the same times before 4-5 years... Even if this busy 12-15 kiters / WS does happen, I am sure that we will be able to be considerate to each other and share the very limited space available.
KC7777

Re: O Coast

Post by KC7777 »

KUS wrote:
nanmoo wrote:11 hours 17 minutes Keith! That's only like 4.5 more than it takes you to get to Nitinat, and minus the cost of the ferry!

The excuses are weak with this one!

glad u covered that one for him, Tony, but never mind Gold Beach :oops: 8 1/2 to Florence, 2 more hours and no ferry costs :idea: heck, less time to Oceanside 8)
Man the old testosterone could get going with this stuff. I can appreciate the goading and ridiculing. That is how one progresses.

If you only knew how much I think about this. It is a bizarre trap to be in....I have lots of great gear, and can just sail good enough to have fun down there, but these thoughts are generally offset by the reluctance to go and just get ass kicked the whole time and use up a whole week off.....when I really just want to sail for that week.

I think it is the "mainland effect" where we get in a cycle of sailing sporadically from May - Sept, then not sailing for 8 months....so you need to relearn the sport every year. So you want to spend as many hours sailing each day, vs getting worked = not sailing.

Keith
KC7777

Oregon vs Nitinat trip

Post by KC7777 »

Hey nanmoo and Kus,

Compare this (basically I am bored of marking exams).......

Total km to Oregon from Chilliwack approx. 950km (591 miles per nanmoo)

Total driving km to Nitinat from Chilliwack approx. 250 km.

Nitinat is approx. 3.5 - 4 hrs of driving for me and 1.5 - 2 hours on the ferry.

Ferry time = potential work time for me. The ferry cost is approx. $130 return. So if I can work on the ferry for 1 hr each way....approx. $150 in consulting income ( I write questions for professional accounting exams).

Therefore,

Nitinat is a 6 hr trip (driving and ferry time) and actually has -$0 net ferry cost ($150 income - $130 cost = +$20, ignoring taxes of course).

So the ferry cost is irrelevant to this analysis. Stop talking about it.

Oregon is 11.5 hours of driving time and 700 extra km in distance = extra gas cost down to Gold Beach. This 1,400 of extra km would probably cost another tankful at $100 both going down and coming back = $200 extra cost of Oregon vs Nitinat travel.

...so Oregon is +$200 in gas costs (and apporx. 13 hours of lost work time.....which could be approx. $975 of lost income).

And there is also no way in my mind you can compare a leisurely drive across the island at 70 km/hr to bombing down I 5 at 120 km/h for an extra 8 hours. And gravel roads don't bug me as I have a pick-up truck.

In summary, a trip to Oregon could potentially cost me $1,175....$200 in extra gas and $975 in lost income. With $1,175 I could buy a case of beer that nice used quad 95L from Kus....which I would then ride it at Nitinat just to irritate all of you.

Just thought I would give the other side here....you guys are biased.

PS - don't argue with an accountant.

K
JL

Post by JL »

When did $ become a method of evaluating the rewards of subjecting ourselves to an adrenalin rush ? ex.: You could have saved $ by skiing on a video game instead of going to Mt. Baker :!: Or are you just teasing Nanmoo in which case sorry to interupt :!: I'm with Kus in that any day you miss 'playing' you can't get back as Father time marches on.
Thermals are good.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Teabag: Thank you for all the time you put into the data summary and detailed maps (but where is the beefy-armed dragon?). I just bumped up Renfrew on the list of places to visit, especially now that I have a longboard. :)

KC7777: If you can find the time/money, try the OR coast just once. I did, and now I can't stop thinking about it all year. I forget who it was that described it as "a skate park for windsurfers". Sooo fun.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Oregon vs Nitinat trip

Post by KUS »

KC7777 wrote:Total driving km to Nitinat from Chilliwack approx. 250 km. Nitinat is approx. 3.5 - 4 hrs of driving for me and 1.5 - 2 hours on the ferry. Ferry time = potential work time for me. The ferry cost is approx. $130 return. So if I can work on the ferry for 1 hr each way....approx. $150 in consulting income
Nitinat is a 6 hr trip (driving and ferry time) and actually has -$0 net ferry cost ($150 income - $130 cost = +$20, ignoring taxes of course).
So the ferry cost is irrelevant to this analysis. Stop talking about it.

Oregon is 11.5 hours of driving time and 700 extra km in distance = extra gas cost down to Gold Beach. This 1,400 of extra km would probably cost another tankful at $100 both going down and coming back = $200 extra cost of Oregon vs Nitinat travel.

...so Oregon is +$200 in gas costs (and apporx. 13 hours of lost work time.....which could be approx. $975 of lost income).

And there is also no way in my mind you can compare a leisurely drive across the island at 70 km/hr to bombing down I 5 at 120 km/h for an extra 8 hours. And gravel roads don't bug me as I have a pick-up truck.

In summary, a trip to Oregon could potentially cost me $1,175....$200 in extra gas and $975 in lost income. With $1,175 I could buy a case of beer that nice used quad 95L from Kus....which I would then ride it at Nitinat just to irritate all of you.

PS - don't argue with an accountant.
Keith, your argument is seriously flawed in the sense that you write off costs because you could be working :roll: you could be working on an Oregon or Nitinat beach, in the passenger seat cuz you carpooled or anywhere for that matter. It's not relevant, it's a holiday, so stop talking about it :!:

Secondly, costs of the trip never entered the equation in the sense of our travel, except yours....we all have to take the boat to get there, you on the other hand don't but could be 3 hours closer to your destination because, unlike us, you don't have to make reservations and/or be early, or even miss the f&^%ing thing delaying you another 4 hours, you have no restrictions. The cost is actually a bonus saving, just saying.

Here is our breakdown:

=Fuel to Florence with a not-so-big but equally gas guzzling motorhome, return: $500 :shock:
=Not caring much about fuel cost because of the pay-off, I would drive twice the distance: priceless :D
=Cruising down scenic highway 101 and night driving on I5 at 60mph cuz there's cops all along the stretch: relaxing and easy on the suspension :!:
=Picking up a different pack of the best microbrews in the world fresh every day: a beer lovers paradise :twisted:
=Avoiding the Malahat and Nat road where every failed component of the vehicle likely will cost more than the whole trip to repair and possibly leave you stranded on a no (cell)service road on a weekend and trash your well-earned holiday: ask me how I know :oops: :x :x :x
=You continuing to come up with lame excuses for not expanding your windsurfing adventure horizons and entering the geriatric windsurfer stage much too early: utterly sad :cry:
=For me, not having to share the water with another 400 drones on an incredibly boring flat water lake with stinky toilets permeating the area (and paying for it, hahaha) but instead crapping your suit on a heavy swell massive overheader riding it in at mach 2 slamming every lip in sight (or getting regularly worked, learning a bit more each time and that mother ocean is boss) and conquering your fears: a windsurfer's dream :twisted: 8) bit it doesn't have to be YOUR dream, no worries!

There is tons of enjoyment in being a dedicated Nitinat sailor, not everyone needs to do the Oregon coast, we are just encouraging you because you expressed interest but
=Not selling you any quad so you cannot piss us off and you will have to pay full retail elsewhere: mildly amusing :twisted:

In summary, don't argue with a wave n wind addict :lol:

But this thread is really about a new not-so-secret spot :!:
Wish less, sail more!!

dangerdane

Renfrew

Post by dangerdane »

So I guess this thread means I dont have to log my session location as Muir Creek or Gordos North anymore? :roll: I might as well mention the great new sections of paved road on the way into Renfrew as well. All kidding aside I love this place. Last year we had an awesome time on Canada Day Longweekend the fireworks were great!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JL wrote:Next year will be even smoother 8) http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_release ... 000483.htm
good ol Jeff Knight, so loyal despite all the abuse all these years and still spinning for the Cold Heart Ministry...the kicker will be Loss Creek, they are just avoiding that one :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Kited Renfrew for first time yesterday and today. Teabag's map was pretty much right for good / bad wind zones. Launching a kite off the beach at south end (San Juan river) was a challenge, both in front of campsite and in front of beach camp town site. Once 200m offshore, nice steady 15kt wind, but have to get there.

Wind was perfect for 12m, no depower needed. Some wavy/choppy sections, some smooth speed run sections. Prime launch time between 1-3pm, had to wait for a good puff to get launched. Wind pretty much over by 5:30-6.

Quite sure Nitinat was way better both days, so probably not a great choice for Vic-Nanaimo folks. OK for Sookies -- Renfrew turned out to be better than Gordons. As well, the prime times for Renfrew seem to be early, while lately Gordons is an evening scene, so nothing lost chasing it midday.

And the beach was great.....warm, sunny, wow that's a change from winter.
JL

Post by JL »

5 months until Spring :P :roll: 8) :idea: :!:
Thermals are good.