Late season westerlies

General discussions about the weather, incoming storms and swell, complaining, why is it always so windy at night etc.

grantmac

Late season westerlies

Post by grantmac »

I've gone to Gordons and been more or less skunked twice recently, then arrived home to see a steady +15 at Ogden and Gonzales the entire afternoon.
Is there some sort of mechanism that shifts the favored area for thermals to the East as the fall begins?

Thanks,
Grant
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I think only JL can answer that question with charts and graphs but we still won't understand.
curses - foiled again!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I guess I'm just curious if this is a common thing or if I'm just unlucky.

-Grant
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

In September, better chance for westerlies in Victoria than Gordons Beach particularly on days where there is a cold frontal passage and clearing skies.

Don`t be enticed by forecast 15 knot winds at Gordons this time of year, because the 15 knots usually only happens at Sheringham Point and not the beach.

Not to say we don`t get some late season Gordons thermals, but rare in late Sept. Unless you have a foil board (kite or windsurf), best to stay in town. Its not worth the drive.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

WS season Gordons (not including foils in this) = May to July, need heat, check people's sailing logs....fog bowls can be classic....as RocDoc and Pasta say, a frontal is usually better or as good in town. G as well as a lot of places (Pipers, IV) have not been up to expectations.

But soon watch for a rocky beach a little west of there, yes there is storm wind at G but it's sucking in SW conditions, don't do it....whereas it will be a W or NW at 15min west....starting soon....hopefully....unless global climate change/La Nina has also robbed us of that place :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Where is this secret beach?

I must have lucked out with the two non-foil sessions I got at Gordons in early September.
JL

Post by JL »

Just about it for those aft. thermals this year. Post frontal west this weekend 8) Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Seattle WA
812 AM PDT Fri Sep 21 2018

.SYNOPSIS...A slow moving cold front will move onto the coast late
this afternoon and inland tonight bringing some rain to the area.
Post frontal onshore flow on Saturday will result in a cool,
showery, and breezy day. Showers will diminish on Sunday as high
pressure moves into the area. A strong upper level ridge will
build over the area next week giving a spell of dry weather. The
warmest days are expected with the strongest low level offshore
flow during the middle to end of the week.
Thermals are good.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Rolled the dice on a Cook St session yesterday and had good fun. High tide made for a less than graceful entry or exit at my skill level but nothing broke (except a boom, but that's a different story).
I initially launched off Clover way underpowered and slogged around a bit trying to figure out where the reefs were (tide was too high to see anything) and also learned a valuable lesson about trying to charge the kelp mat (just don't).
Then it kicked up nice around 330 and a good time was had among the +20 kiters. I came in to rerig a few times and I more or less launched between the long ramp and spiral stairs. I think in future I'll just take my gear down the spiral since it seems easier.

For those people who launch off of Clover, where specifically do you get in the water? The wiki for there is rather blank....

-Grant
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Grantmac, for windsurfers you can walk the edge of the reef right in front of the ramp at most tides. Then launch and shorttack upwind on a westerly. Probably the worst right now this time of year with kelp. Kus can probably add some tips as this is his main launch.
The spiral stairs is probably the worst launch and landing anywhere along this stretch as the wind is always really light closer to shore (and not so close) and the waves are often dumping as the beach tends to be steep. Better to walk down the main launch stairs, better wind and better beach conditions. Mind the kite lines! It's usually easy to avoid most of the kites by going a little upwind. Check the reef locations before sailing here the first time.