Johnny Read

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Grant Watson

Johnny Read

Post by Grant Watson »

We are posting to inform you that our beloved friend Johnny Read has passed away.
His Father Gordon called Grant this afternoon.
We'll let you know of any information about a service when we find out.
Grant and Cammie 658-8407
JL

Post by JL »

Fluffy: We have lost one of the great friends of the sailing community. Take care my friend you will be missed.......Rob and Deb - Apr 02 5:23PM
Bones: One of John's wishes was to have his, or at least some of his ashes spread off of Cook Str.,, to join our other good buddy that past away a few years ago, Mike Benson. He had more time on that body of water, over the last 20 or more years,than anyone I can think of... What a loss of a great human being,, he will be sadly missed by his family and the sailing community at large..,,,,cheers old buddy,,,, Tony - Apr 02 5:07PM
Sonicspectrum: Cannonball. We'll miss you. :( - Apr 02 4:09PM
Asscrack , Cannonball we miss you man . 8) Gave it everything right to the end ... All those D.R. Chickas , 50 knot kiting , windsurfer ... This is not good news ... http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... at=3&pos=0
Last edited by JL on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

OMG, I'm stunned. That is incredibly sad news. He will be missed. Thoughts go out to his family. I'll miss you buddy.
Dave
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

W-H-A-T :?:

Huge knot in my stomach, having trouble believing this. Great Sadness hearing you had to leave us behind.

Go big, Johnny, GO BIGGGG! May the huge gusts be with you my good friend :!:

Pls let us know, Grant. Markus
Last edited by KUS on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
sherry

Post by sherry »

Words cannot express our shock and sadness at the news of Johnny's passing. He will be missed greatly. Cook street will never be the same without him.

Sherry and Mark
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by voodmon »

Safe journey John, you are missed already!
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
colin

Post by colin »

Tragic news. An incredibly kind and fun loving individual. One of the first to befriend me when I was a rookie down at Dallas. Will miss you sadly and think of you often.
kite+waves=!
colin

Post by colin »

Part of JR's last travel blog entry:

"Yes,All good things come to and end it seems.At least temporarily.My trip has been excellant.So much beauty here.The wind for me,has been relentless,A record here as well.39 days non stop.Kite surfing record for me.Palm trees are swaying as we speak.I went to a lagoon this morning early,for a peacefull sunrise.There was a fisherman pulling in his nets.Young kids swimming,and laughing.The people certainly love life here.they may not have much money,but they can live.Pick fruit off the tree's,and watch the world go by,unincumbered."

http://footstops.com/johnnyread/

RIP
kite+waves=!
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

We had a lot of fun together over the last 25 years and we're all going to miss you bro. I'm sure you're in a better place... don
Last edited by Wingnut on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

:shock: what ..... :shock: the hell, omg! wow, Reading that last post, it is somewhat nice knowing he truly lived large and happy...right up until..jeez..well you know. He was one of the dudes that inspired me to huk it as huge as possible and have a ball doin it...I too will truly miss you.safe journeys friend. I send all my best to the family and close friends

dale
KSD
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Thats a shock, one of the most prolific posters/loggers on this site, I'm so glad he got to experience that last incredible DR trip. I never spent a lot of time talking to him but he was always a friendly face and had an encouraging word.
Morley
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Johnny, we're all going to miss you very much. You've left a massive void in this community. You were one of the core men that commanded respect yet could always be relied upon for a good belly laugh. This is an unbelievably sad day. Safe journey to you and may you find warm, steady winds.

Christopher and Stephanie Curran
Poultry in motion
Joe

Post by Joe »

Very sad indeed. Our sympathies go out to John's family and his other friends. - Joe & Christina
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by voodmon »

Yes, John you were a pillar here and at work or as AC said and i quote, "you are our rock " ..God speed. Fly free!
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
Low Talker

Post by Low Talker »

John was a workmate at the City Parks. I was working with him before he left for the Dominican - he was counting down the days. I am so happy that he got the last trip in. He was a wonderful guy and we will really miss him. Go big Johnny!

Paul, Janice & Luke