Kitefoil Heat at Comox Sailing Race

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

EL_NORTE

Kitefoil Heat at Comox Sailing Race

Post by EL_NORTE »

Looking at seeing if there is interest in a hydrofoil event in Comox. Compass Adventure are putting on a stadium style sailing race 12/13 Aug and would be stoked to have a hydrofoiling event. Spoke to a few local guys already who are in.

https://www.compassadventure.ca/sailfest

This is just going to be a recreational race rather than any sort of serious competition. Obviously wind is a big question mark but I ran a “below 9kts plan” by the guys. They will use their seadoos to pull two foilers at a time up to a “let go of the ski rope now” point somewhere close to the crowd for a foil pump off. I suspect the commentators will have some fun with arguing over who will last the longest.

Ocean Rodeo and I will be setting up a tent with some demos including a couple Flites. Would love to know who would be interested in attending/participating or any input?

Cheers,

Greg
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Don't you need SE at that place...in August? I would love to attend and watch...from the comfort of the beer garden tent. Sounds great 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

An idea bouncing around on kiteforum for a slalom foil to liven races up.

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 90#p981690

"a parallel slalom with buoys located similar way to waterski slalom.
3 rows of buoys should probably do the job. A heat every 5 min.
That may crate a spectacular show for beach public observing 2 riders at full speed, carving tight turns with elbows touching the drink."

That could be interesting, as the riders would be close to shore and doing tight turns (which means big wipeouts)
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Talk to the squamish windsport society, those guys all have foils and are looking for places to compete
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
EL_NORTE

Post by EL_NORTE »

Good call on the parallel slalom, that would be a lot of fun! I'll see what Compass Adventure has available for bouys.

Just emailed Squamish Windsports, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Greg
EL_NORTE

Post by EL_NORTE »

Unfortunately August's Sailfest in Comox has been postponed until next year. More time to train for light wind foiling!