Windsurf foiling

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Yes please, I am in!

Stephen
KC7777

Foil

Post by KC7777 »

Ok...

So I haven't tried this foil yet. Was waiting on the 20" mast (backordered) as it is supposed to be easier to learn on than the 32" mast.

I also was trying to source a cheap, wide board so I don't wreck my Fanatics.

Found this board in Chilliwack (27"/75 cm wide, approx 140L) ...deep tuttle. Picking it up tomorrow.

$250 with two tuttle fins which I can sell to get price down!

Keith
Attachments
IMG_7644.JPG
IMG_7644.JPG (166.58 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
Gord Baines

Post by Gord Baines »

Think about how you might rig some kind of teather. Just heard about a fella who has $2k sitting on the bed of the Columbia River, and that was with a deep tuttle board.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Good one Gord...hey rental fees cover that right :D :?:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Foil

Post by KC7777 »

Good point Gord.

Already thought of that. The guys in the Gorge are tying a bit of kite line around the top of the foil mast and then around up to a back foot strap.

Keith
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Good score keith. We have a similar board with deep tuttle. Im stoked to try it out.

When i was in the gorge, there was a couple brands doing a clinic on foils. Seems like there are ones for freeride in light winds and race ones for stronger winds. All made from carbon fibre. I imagine an aluminum option will bring down the cost soon. As for not losing the setup, the most clever idea i saw is a third hole in the fin box between the the bolt holes with a anchor line come up through the board.
KC7777

Foil setup

Post by KC7777 »

Finally got around to setting up my Slingshot light wind foil. Board is a $250 bomb-proof, Roberts 27", approx 130-135L, with a deep tuttle box.

I also have the powerplate to mount on a power box board like my Fanatic FreeWave...once I figure it out.

Bummed I am still waiting on the 20" mast (it's on backorder from Windance)....cause the 35" mast looks friggin' huge! Oh well. Guess I am gonna learn on the big mast.

Been sailing Squamish...too windy and shallow there to try it. And I am heading to the Kootenay Lake Waterfront cabin soon which is sideshore, deep water, 8 knot breeze. This should rip with my 4.8M or 5.3M Revos!

I also put some foil foot inserts in place of front straps. Easier to get feet out when falling?

Also been reading that the front wing should be located as close to centre of my stance. So I may move the wing forward (mast back). If the wing is forward it it results in earlier lift...
Attachments
35" mast!
35" mast!
IMG_7697.JPG (139.6 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG (166.05 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Special foil open front straps.
Special foil open front straps.
IMG_7702.JPG (97.36 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
IMG_7700.JPG
IMG_7700.JPG (98.64 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Powerplate for powerbox boards.
Powerplate for powerbox boards.
IMG_7696.JPG (187.63 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Powerplate to put on powerbox boards.
Powerplate to put on powerbox boards.
IMG_7695.JPG (140.97 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

not sure about bomb proof on a flapper design board...... :shock: AT ALL....and yeah, the mast is huge :roll: I'd wait for the backorder..... :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i don't know much (anything) about foil riding, but that box does seem pretty far back. i know some of the sup board conversions i saw guys were installing the deep tuttles forward of the existing us box. but that was for downwind paddling and surfing not windsurfing. anyhoo good luck with the experiment, keep us posted!
i just noticed the buy/sell windsurf FB group has a foil board in the banner, and it has the mast right on the tail.
KC7777

Post by KC7777 »

downwind dave wrote:i don't know much (anything) about foil riding, but that box does seem pretty far back. i know some of the sup board conversions i saw guys were installing the deep tuttles forward of the existing us box. but that was for downwind paddling and surfing not windsurfing. anyhoo good luck with the experiment, keep us posted!
i just noticed the buy/sell windsurf FB group has a foil board in the banner, and it has the mast right on the tail.
Hey Dave!

From what I gather, where the mast is is less important than getting the foil's front wing centred right under your stance. So it makes sense that a SUP would be more forward (as you surf more near the centre on a SUP) vs windsurfing nearer the back of the board. I have changed my Slingshot foil to the more forward position so the front wing is now right between the footstraps. Will post pics when I get the shorter mast.

And good news....Windance just phoned me to say the 24" Slingshot mast is in. I should have it next week in time for the two weeks at Kootenay Lake.

Kus - my comment about "bombproof" was just re Roberts boards being handbuilt by Rob Mulder in Vancouver compared to regular production boards being made overseas. The deep tuttle box on the Roberts is all reinforced carbon, and Rob made it to handle a 54-60cm deep tuttle fin with an 8.5M sail. So I think a Roberts box is likely stronger than just a regular tuttle box or powerbox on a standard Starboard or Fanatic board? And for $250 risk of financial loss is low!

Keith
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You will be all front foot on the foil anyways. So back there isn't going to be an issue. At least thats my guess from kite foiling where you are basically standing on your front foot.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddude

Post by winddude »

nanmoo wrote:You will be all front foot on the foil anyways. So back there isn't going to be an issue. At least thats my guess from kite foiling where you are basically standing on your front foot.
I think it probably depends on the foil, just saw a video of kp or fly catcher (can't remember which :s) foiling with only there back foot in the strap.

Also don't forget your windsurfing mast is another center of effort, or third leg kiters don't have (I heard that's why kiters wear boardies over there went suit, lack of a third leg :p), that's already forward.
KC7777 wrote:
downwind dave wrote:i don't know much (anything) about foil riding, but that box does seem pretty far back. i know some of the sup board conversions i saw guys were installing the deep tuttles forward of the existing us box. but that was for downwind paddling and surfing not windsurfing. anyhoo good luck with the experiment, keep us posted!
Hey Dave!

From what I gather, where the mast is is less important than getting the foil's front wing centred right under your stance. So it makes sense that a SUP would be more forward (as you surf more near the centre on a SUP) vs windsurfing nearer the back of the board. I have changed my Slingshot foil to the more forward position so the front wing is now right between the footstraps. Will post pics when I get the shorter mast.

And good news....Windance just phoned me to say the 24" Slingshot mast is in. I should have it next week in time for the two weeks at Kootenay Lake.

Kus - my comment about "bombproof" was just re Roberts boards being handbuilt by Rob Mulder in Vancouver compared to regular production boards being made overseas. The deep tuttle box on the Roberts is all reinforced carbon, and Rob made it to handle a 54-60cm deep tuttle fin with an 8.5M sail. So I think a Roberts box is likely stronger than just a regular tuttle box or powerbox on a standard Starboard or Fanatic board? And for $250 risk of financial loss is low!

Keith
yea, i'd agree with you on the Roberts probably being a lot better built and stronger than than a board from the cobra factory.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

I recently got an email from Fiberglas supply saying they were stocking up on Tuttle boxes for foils on all styles of boards. I see they have a couple sizes. I'm guessing it's not a new item but good to know for those who didn't and want to upgrade their existing board
winddude

Post by winddude »

gnarf wrote:I recently got an email from Fiberglas supply saying they were stocking up on Tuttle boxes for foils on all styles of boards. I see they have a couple sizes. I'm guessing it's not a new item but good to know for those who didn't and want to upgrade their existing board
I think all of the foils are deep tuttle, not tuttle
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Are you sure they aren't semi-deep Tuttles.
Give'R