Windsurf foiling

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

winddude

Post by winddude »

TheLaw wrote:Are you sure they aren't semi-deep Tuttles.
Never heard of that.

slingshot says deep tuttle, and starbaord certainty looks like deep tuttle.
http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Sailbo ... _Race.html, should be the box on the left.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

nanmoo wrote:You will be all front foot on the foil anyways. So back there isn't going to be an issue. At least thats my guess from kite foiling where you are basically standing on your front foot.
Agree that it depends on the set up where the balance point is. Generally it's front leg that controls lift, but once balanced I think it is usually somewhat even, like standing on a seesaw.

But then try the canard wings I have (both provide lift, large wing in back)... The difference is immediately noticeable, your back leg will be super sore after an hour trying to keep the nose up on foil.

If bias is too strong one way or other, I think you can tinker with length of fuselage and angle of attack on wings (shims under one side or other) to balance them.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

I have a couple of Tuttle Boxes picked up by Windoc for me last year for mounting the foil masts in boards. I could part with one. Not sure how deep it is. I'll measure the depth when I can. They were a match to the Aguera board Tuttle Box used for kite race foil boards.

In my experience your pressure is mostly on your back foot for making the foil rise and then about %60 still on the back while riding. But I only know the Carafino and a couple home built boards. I can't see most of the pressure being on the front though. ??
curses - foiled again!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Totally different from the Liquid Force foil then. Your front leg starts to cramp. You are literally standing over your front knee it feels like.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

Well that's really interesting about the foot pressure varying on different boards. Since this is the windsurfing foil thread I'd suggest looking for a foil design / mounting point that spreads the pressure evenly or toward the back leg as I have never had cramping issues or sore legs, just knees a little, and I have chicken legs. :lol:
curses - foiled again!
winddude

Post by winddude »

Just a quick session on a foil, quite a bit of mast foot pressure, and little change make dramatic changes in the foil. The mast was long, but I'm wondering if that's easier, because you have more play and time with the trim of the foil before it lifts out... not sure because it's all I've tried.

So keith get out there man!!
Must ... Sail... More...

Yes. The long mast gives you lots of time to go up and down and figure out the balance without launching the foil out of the water. I don't understand the 'learning' foils with a set of mast and the short one for learning. Forget a short mast!
curses - foiled again!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I think the idea is less pain when you pitchpole the thing from foil. Solution - learn strapless! :lol: Those a shorter mast would also make for easier handling and water starts, both of which are challenging if no one is there to explain it to you.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I have the larger slingshot on an older Formula board. It flies earlier than the NP and LP but doesn't have the speed or stability. It also wants a narrower foot position compared to a "locked-in" race foil. I'm usually with my front foot to the inside and rear of the strap and back toes almost on center. Mast angle and front leg does most of the pitch control, rear mostly does the roll.

I'd like to get a smaller board for it but cheap ones with tuttle boxes have gotten thin on the ground. I might convert a PB board.
KC7777

Foiling

Post by KC7777 »

So,

I am at Kootenay Lake.

Foil is set up on my 135L Roberts with the 24" Slingshot mast.

And 5.3M Revo

But it's dead calm. Haha. I did slog out in 1 knot and back.

Getting in lots of waterskiing and mtn biking instead.

Good news is I can now deep water start on a single slalom ski! Couldn't do that before.
Attachments
IMG_8059.JPG
IMG_8059.JPG (156.04 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
IMG_8050.JPG
IMG_8050.JPG (97.49 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
IMG_8060.JPG
IMG_8060.JPG (169.8 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Bring it to NN!
KC7777

Foil

Post by KC7777 »

tempy wrote:Bring it to NN!
Hey Stephen,

Mid August it will be at NN!

K
winddude

Post by winddude »

KC7777 wrote:So,

I am at Kootenay Lake.

Foil is set up on my 135L Roberts with the 24" Slingshot mast.

And 5.3M Revo

But it's dead calm. Haha. I did slog out in 1 knot and back.

Getting in lots of waterskiing and mtn biking instead.

Good news is I can now deep water start on a single slalom ski! Couldn't do that before.
Have the boat tow you onto the foil, I bet you could stay on the foil for a bit after, just DON'T have the driver gun it!
Must ... Sail... More...
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

short mast

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

I'd have to say, i just learned on the slingshot foil academy and it was the bomb. I was foiling within the hour, then went up a size and was back up after second tack, now the long one and I'm down it. With the short masts, when you touch down you dont "go over the bars" endo style, you just keep popping up till you get the balance point.
Anyways, anyone see where the base plate gets mounted? I'm going to probably do a through bolts system as I've run out of fun money and i have the gear(for my SUP) to run a bolts through system.