SUP surfing

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
JasonD

SUP surfing

Post by JasonD »

Hello!

I hope this is the right forum to be posting in?!

I've been SUP surfing for a few years now and I outgrew my old ugly SUP a long time ago but can never find any used SUPs for sale. I've seen, and surfed with, many of you guys at the local breaks and I'm aware that most of you windsurf which is why I'm trying here...

Where do you guys get your surf specific SUPs from? I'd really like to join in on the Tofino SUP comp one day but wouldn't dare show up with my tank even though I feel as though I'm more than capable.

Any advice?
Thanks!
Jason
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I can order you Quatro SUP gear

http://quatrosup.com/

check out the foil 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Ned

Post by Ned »

The majority (I think) seem to have Starboard surf SUPs, with a smattering of Jimmy Lewis, Naish, and a couple other things out there.

You can get Starboard from Ocean River Sports here in town. Their distribution is based in Vancouver, too, so ordering in a board is not usually hard. You can also ask them to look into any clearouts they don't have in store, as there are often good deals on the surf models they can get you from the distributor warehouse. Only downside is you can't see/try boards first, so make sure to ask your buddies at the break to try their boards if you don't know what you want already.

I personally got an 8'0 Pro for about 30-40% off a couple years ago.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Don't underestimate how much lighter, stiffer, stronger and better surfing the carbon ones are! Downside... $$$$$$!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JasonD

Post by JasonD »

Thanks Kus! I'm looking for used and those appear to be out of my price range.

Thanks Ned, I will check Ocean River. I thought they were all about the SUP racing.

Thanks Nanmoo! I've tried the carbon's and I find they are too responsive/tippy for me because I'm so used to riding a 10'6" tank with a long single fin. Once in the waves, it feels like riding a short board!! I need time on a smaller board but don't want to start on a smaller expensive one.

I've noticed a huge difference from the first time I took a wave on a SUP at ??'s rivermouth about 7 years ago. I was on a ULI inflatable haha. Every year more people and smaller boards. Now there are some great riders out there and I'm still cruising on the tank. I can hold my own in the bigger swell but def not doing what you guys are doing and a smaller board would help.

Thanks!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JasonD wrote:Thanks Kus! I'm looking for used and those appear to be out of my price range.!
yes, not many used around for waves....the odd one and carbon hold their value.

Not sure where you saw pricing, you haven't asked? and I have also access to previous years' close outs....just carbons tho and likely slim pickings for that reason, they just started making AST versions for those with a smaller bank account....but as Tony points out....you get what you pay for.

For used I have an AHD Sealion that you can also sail as it has the mast base on it, it is a comfortable and stable 135L twin fin, super maneuverable, I would consider parting with, lots of video online for these, very popular $850
Wish less, sail more!!

JasonD

Post by JasonD »

You're right, I should have asked... I clicked on the link and searched in the Used section. The boards listed were all over $1000.

I've never heard of AHD boards so I will do some research.

Thanks!!
smartang

Post by smartang »

Have you ever ridden a board other than your tank? Without elite level footwork and paddle skills it would be impossible to perform basic comp moves on a huge board. Example: linking bottom turn, top turn, and cutbacks using the paddle to whip the board around.

Ideally, you need two boards for competing to match the extreme ends of surf conditions. But if you can only afford one then I would look for the smallest most maneuverable board for your weight (body plus soaking wet wintersuit). If you've never stood on a low volume 7' board, you'll need to start somewhere calm and build up your balance and paddling skills.

The problem is that you might be competing in 2 ft with 10 knots of chop where the other 8-9' performance board, will get you more wave time.

You'll also want a surf specific carbon paddle cut short. Many pros are riding head high or less paddles. The low volume board sits a couple inches lower in the water, add to that a ninja monkey stance and the short paddle makes more sense.

This is not the best time of the year to find a deal. I'd hold out for carbon. Took me 6 months to find a deal. Glad I waited, I think my 7'8" starboard carbon weighs around 13-14lbs. My first time out with it at Tofino I could barely stand long enough to catch a wave. But once you're in the acceleration into that first bottom turn is something else.

First, study all the brands to figure out which models you'd take. Then check every classifieds you're willing to drive to twice a day, call every surf shop around, and you're already doing the classifieds. I'd also try to increase your budget to $1200-1500$. Plan to sell the old board and paddle, that should get you a few hundred. The internet is a big place, the right board will come to you if you're patient. Beware of low nose rocker boards.

For now, find somewhere calm (even small south Chestermans), take the all the fins off your tank, and adopt the ninja monkey stance, that'll help you get used to the tracking ability of a comp board.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

JasonD wrote:You're right, I should have asked... I clicked on the link and searched in the Used section. The boards listed were all over $1000.

I've never heard of AHD boards so I will do some research.

Thanks!!
AHD been around forever, great shapes

New Carbon boards retail at $3k CAN now, AST construction a grand less

I found one close out, 2014-16 120L Quatro Carve full carbon for 1280US plus shipping, (I think there is a 100 too) u pick up in WA .....or ship to Canada, duty, gst, pst, international transport fee :roll: full carbon paddle $230US
Wish less, sail more!!

bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I'm a bit biased, but Starboard makes the best surfing (and race) sups. Get the starlite construction and they retail for $1800 or so, or buy a used carbon for 1500-2000. Also Starboard supports the website so they are a good choice :)
Sandy Beach

Post by Sandy Beach »

bwd wrote:I'm a bit biased, but Starboard makes the best surfing (and race) sups. Get the starlite construction and they retail for $1800 or so, or buy a used carbon for 1500-2000. Also Starboard supports the website so they are a good choice :)

Yes, Starboard rocks, and funding of BWD website means better support for island-wide webcams and wind meters, not to mention the important 'behind the scenes' continuing operations of this uniquely critical wind/weather resource. Dave is a wicked SUP surfer 🏄 !:)

Great comprehensive info from Smartang, who also rocks the waves.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
iamvwman

Sup surf

Post by iamvwman »

Booya!!!
JasonD

Post by JasonD »

smartang:
-I have ridden lighter/smaller boards hence the reason I'd like to transition to a lighter/smaller board. I remember turning right off the back of the wave once because of the response based on the effort I put into a turn. The same effort on my tank just enables me to turn into the waves. I use an old Werner Nitro carbon 3-piece paddle. Easy to travel with.. I will try it next time at it's shortest. I will also try the finless monkey dance! Thanks!

Kus/bwd:
-not sure if I'm ready to invest that much into a board. Would prefer someone's used board. Looks like used carbon is out of my price range too?!

Sandy Beach:
-Yes, I agree he is a wicked SUP surfer. He is one of the ones I see out west on the small boards making it look fun!!

iamvwman:
-I'm 215lbs so it might be too small for me but, as smartang said, "...look for the smallest most maneuverable board..." Price is in my range!

At least people now know someone could easily take one of their used SUPs off of them if the price is right!!
Thanks!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Sup surf

Post by winddoctor »

iamvwman wrote:http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... 75942.lite

Check this one out. A great buy
That's my old board that's being sold. For an athletic 215 pound guy it would be perfect after some practice and not too small at all if you're determined enough. It's a bit wider for stability and worth checking out. I'm 205 pounds and I wanted to go smaller so I sold it, I'm on a 110 L Starboard Pro 8.0 for all conditions.
Poultry in motion
iamvwman

Post by iamvwman »

You could try Keith's

http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8653

If you think it's too small I have the same board in the 9'5" length I'm thinking about unloading.
Booya!!!