New Compact Board Shapes

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

New Compact Board Shapes

Post by Tsawwassen »

Looks like everyone is coming out with stubby shapes to replace their freewave or on shore wave boards.
I love my Tabou Pocket as it does well in waves on the coast but is also fun at home however they have also changed that to a compact board as well. I want to get a new mid 80L board but not sure if I should get one of the new designs. These compact boards look like they are designed for small mushy wave riding, or as the manufactures like to say “not perfect wave conditions” but will they perform well in on shore or local conditions. I like the starboard Hypernut SUP which is a similar shape but not sure how this will work for windsurfing. They look they would be fun playing in waves but I heard they are slow? Goya has instead come out with a thruster that looks nice.
Has anyone tried any of these, what do you think?

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

The new Goya is not the one you depicted, reviews are great but I'm gonna demo first, these shapes are a bit of a re-run from early 2000's attempts and they were slow to plane
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:The new Goya is not the one you depicted, reviews are great but I'm gonna demo first, these shapes are a bit of a re-run from early 2000's attempts and they were slow to plane
I just took that from their website. Let me know when you get one. :D

http://goyawindsurfing.com/boards/y2018 ... -thruster/
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Im yet to try the stubbier designs. Im not sure about getting one in the 80ish range, But in a 100L range it can prove to be pretty much a %80 of conditions board especially if it can be used as a wave SUP like the hyper nut or Fanatic Stubby and having a foil and windsurf compatibility for the 2018s.

Looping a shorter board does look fun but for general riding not all boards are going short.
https://youtu.be/NdtNXzNKrf0
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Don't forget about Quatro's Super Mini :!: Michael the Goya isn't really a stubby, will probably upgrade to the new quad tho :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!

Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:Don't forget about Quatro's Super Mini :!: Michael the Goya isn't really a stubby, will probably upgrade to the new quad tho :twisted:
I know it's not a Stubby, that's what I was trying to say, was that they didn't go for that trend.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

KUS wrote:Don't forget about Quatro's Super Mini :!: Michael the Goya isn't really a stubby, will probably upgrade to the new quad tho :twisted:
If the new Goyas are noticebly better than last year, my mind will be blown. My 86 Quad is my all time favourite. Apparently Francisco is recommending people go 10L more or at least one size up than usual even considering the newer style of riding boards around your bodyweight-plus. The new Goya quads are a fair bit narrower, diff rockers and bottom shapes than last year.

I think the stubbies might be great for CB-like conditions. Quick to get going, wide tails for jumping and turning at slower speeds, and compact loopers 🤙. The Quatro Super Mini would be on my radar/wish list, but as a 100+L board option as Jesse was saying.
Poultry in motion
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

My 2 cents without trying any of these, but based on surfing my 7'4" Hypernut. A 85L will feel more like a 100L then you would think. My guess a windsurf board this shape at a 100L will feel huge.

The Hypernut is something like 106L and is crazy stable....it could shed 10-15L and still be comfortable enough to SUP on. I know they are different but there is likely a reason they have made these smaller litre-wise.
Give'R
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:Don't forget about Quatro's Super Mini :!:
That Super Mini does look fun!
winddude

Post by winddude »

compact is soo old school, now there are these peanut shapes, last year we saw surfboard's in the peanut shape, now freestyle and waveboards. No idea when they will turn up in production.

[Vimeo]https://vimeo.com/233178313[/Vimeo]

Took me awhile to wrap my head around the concept because it's soo different from everything that's been written of thought of in terms of surf and windsurf shape, but here's the physics behind it, http://www.real-world-physics-problems. ... rding.html

Pictured below is Ferdinando Loffreda at Ho'okipa
Attachments
19105649_10212689427885086_2043438727831822806_n.jpg
19105649_10212689427885086_2043438727831822806_n.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Physics aside - I can tell you the Hypernut SUP shape feels like 2 boards in one. Stand forward a bit and it takes on some longboard feeling characteristics and then you step back a bit and then it feels more like a short board.

I really like this for our typical wave riding around here were the wave isn't a perfect reef break or peeling point, but constantly changing steepness. You can easily switch your stance to match the changes in the wave.

I would assume it would be similar when windsurfing this shape. More forward to get planing or get through a mush section then more back when fully planing and on a steep section of wave.
Give'R
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

those stubbies look almost like you could drop one front footstrap, move the other to the other end, add some micro fins and have a bidirectional board :lol:
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

Last season, I had the use of a Supermini 78 here in the Gorge. It was really nice. I would buy one in a second if I had the cash. Planes super quick, very fast & lively & turns really sweet. Reviews on the Boards.uk site are very good for all-around wave use. Only downside I have heard is stability in really big down the line stuff...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

8)
Attachments
super mini.jpg
super mini.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
super mini 2.jpg
super mini 2.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
Wish less, sail more!!

gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

.... oooh, your making me want to go into debt! 8)