New Compact Board Shapes

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

i found a great article discussing these exciting shapes!

" It's been some time since any truly new concept shapes have come out of
the wave arena, but if the stubby – shape is a sign of things to
come, then the consumer is in for some great fun. "

http://thewindsurfer.com/files/media/88 ... review.pdf
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

TLDR :lol:
Poultry in motion
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

There were quite a few among the top 10 in PWA at Sylt yesterday...

Attachments
Screenshot-2017-10-5 PWA WORLD WINDSURFING TOUR Mercedes-Benz World Cup Sylt.png
Screenshot-2017-10-5 PWA WORLD WINDSURFING TOUR Mercedes-Benz World Cup Sylt.png (1013.91 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Saw the Fanatic a full year ago way way way down south, looked very good on the water with respect to catching and riding waves.

@dwd, time clearly moves slow on themtherethat hill. Reset your calendar. Its fall, 2017. But ya, the new shapes look like the transition from the old long and thin wave boards from the old century to the early 2000s, and then on to the 2015 era wave board shapes, and now these...
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

The Severne Nano was looking nice too...
Attachments
2017-10-5 PWA Mercedes-Benz World Cup Sylt_Severne.png
2017-10-5 PWA Mercedes-Benz World Cup Sylt_Severne.png (911.61 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
C36
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by C36 »

downwind dave wrote:i found a great article discussing these exciting shapes!

" It's been some time since any truly new concept shapes have come out of
the wave arena, but if the stubby – shape is a sign of things to
come, then the consumer is in for some great fun. "

http://thewindsurfer.com/files/media/88 ... review.pdf
:idea: Maybe we can track down the author and find out what he is riding now. Probably a stubby-looking kiteboard. :evil: :D :wink:
KUS wrote:Don't forget about Quatro's Super Mini :!: Michael the Goya isn't really a stubby, will probably upgrade to the new quad tho :twisted:
Winddoctor wrote:If the new Goyas are noticebly better than last year, my mind will be blown. My 86 Quad is my all time favourite. Apparently Francisco is recommending people go 10L more or at least one size up than usual even considering the newer style of riding boards around your bodyweight-plus. The new Goya quads are a fair bit narrower, diff rockers and bottom shapes than last year.

I think the stubbies might be great for CB-like conditions. Quick to get going, wide tails for jumping and turning at slower speeds, and compact loopers 🤙. The Quatro Super Mini would be on my radar/wish list, but as a 100+L board option as Jesse was saying.
TheLaw wrote:My 2 cents without trying any of these, but based on surfing my 7'4" Hypernut. A 85L will feel more like a 100L then you would think. My guess a windsurf board this shape at a 100L will feel huge.

The Hypernut is something like 106L and is crazy stable....it could shed 10-15L and still be comfortable enough to SUP on. I know they are different but there is likely a reason they have made these smaller litre-wise.
So if I am hearing the conversation correctly sounds like the Quads ride one size bigger and the stubbies ride one size smaller - so that's a spread of two sizes in 'board feel' for the same volume. That sounds like a BIG difference in the way these two designs would feel and sail. So theoretically you could have a two 95 litre boards that would serve different purposes: 95 litre stubby light air wave board (that feels like a 105) and 95 litre quad as medium to high wind wave board (that feels like an 85). For that reason I would love to have a chance to sail these boards head-to-head.

Anyone know who the local Fanatic rep is? Maybe they could set of a demo? :D :wink:

Windsurf Mag review of 2017 Fanatic TE Quad Stubby 105
  • Seems they echo the 'feels one size bigger' comment for the Fanatic FreeWave stubby.
  • So sounds like this stubby 105 could replace my FreeWave 115.
  • Their comment about it riding back foot heavy is interesting. That would have been handy when I left my race gear behind, but not so sure I would be too keen to go back there.
A couple of other thoughts:
  • Pro's are likely to sail what the board companies (their employers) what to be promoting at contests - that's what they are getting paid for: exposure.
  • When pro's stopped in at Pistol River on their way from the Delta to the Gorge and they where free sailing for pleasure (not on the clock), the stubbies seemed to be spending more time on the beach and the more traditional shapes seemed to be spending more time on the water from what I saw.
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

"A couple of other thoughts:

Pro's are likely to sail what the board companies (their employers) what to be promoting at contests - that's what they are getting paid for: exposure.
When pro's stopped in at Pistol River on their way from the Delta to the Gorge and they where free sailing for pleasure (not on the clock), the stubbies seemed to be spending more time on the beach and the more traditional shapes seemed to be spending more time on the water from what I saw."

Pro's want to WIN. They must win to get paid. Especially a top level pro like Victor Fernandez will have the boards with him that he feels will work best for the conditions. In fact he had several other boards with him including several "Grip's" & at least 2 sizes of Stubby. He chose the Stubby for Sylt. Most of these PWA guys will have multiple choices for board size & style so it is always interesting to me to see what they chose & for what conditions.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Consensus I have gathered is: new stubbies favoured for messy or onshore moderate sized waves, in O coast beauties and/or bigger conditions the traditional shapes excel ...no closer to a decision without a demo in our much varied places some of us sail. I needs my new quad for sure... :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....