2018 94L vs 2016 Goya Custom Pro Quad 96L- initial review

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

2018 94L vs 2016 Goya Custom Pro Quad 96L- initial review

Post by KUS »

General 5* being excellent, 1* sucking, rare to get either from me.

**** Looks- nice colors on both, not sure which I prefer. The green is a little off the charts, would give the edge to the 2016, new quad box black coloring a nice touch, maybe a bit heavy on the size of the outline
***** Weight- hands down 2018! like a slipper. Vast improvement! 14.6lbs....go ahead, strip your current quad board (or any similar volume board maybe) and compare, I know you want to! Hardware adds 1.8lbs. with the heavier G10 fin set, less with the carbons.
**** Straps- black, feel great, likely no change, couldn't tell but the color is nicer I think, slight edge to the black of the 2018. Anything that gets wear/dirt/rust stains like mast sleeves and fins, rails, pad tops should always be solid black IMHO. Still wishing for double inserts tho :roll:
**** Pads- seem unchanged, compfy. Non slip seems fine, not too abrasive and positive grip. I always wonder why no central deck pad, makes sense for longevity but I guess not so cool, eh? Tie here
***** Fin boxes- Killer! A much better fit over the 2016 as the new center fins seem to snap into place, twinzers easily recessed slightly if you wanted, no protrusions resulting in over-tightening or shaving, the base config changed on the new stock fins to work in other fin box systems
***1/2 Fins- better color in black than red, carbons seem equally fragile for our coast line, some screw tab holes off center not feeling the love in the manufacturing process....again. Disappointing considering the cost. The leading edge placement is 1/2inch further aft, I noticed during the test the board was not as fast as 2016, perhaps this due to me using G10's with placement further forward :roll: Very light, wide chord for good lift while maintaining a slidey feel I am guessing, will try next time out :idea:

My general opinions and observations after a full day wave session comparing recent 2016 to the new 2018 Goya quad carbon Custom Pro: I would like to think of myself as an advanced rider, average free rider, wave oriented sailor. The review site was the winter beach of Columbia Beach, Parksville, Vancouver Island. Winds were ranging from 23-32 knots in 7' swells outside, a steady 3-4+' point break at moderate tide. Temperatures an unusually cool 1deg so I was a bit more conservative in jumping and hard gybes, wave riding/slashing to keep out of the water.

**** Initial impressions are important but don't tell the whole story. I really liked the board but haven't fallen in love....yet. That took a while with the last one too tho :roll: tie game

***? Slog ability seemed fine but I was fully lit most of the time, it does seem to take a moment to come onto the plane after initial wind gust hit. Others have commented that the board is difficult to slog into/thru the break on light days....there was a hint of that potential, might be an adjustment, the volume is definitely more forward and centered, edge to the 2016 which takes off like a shot!

***** Jumping was impressive, well balanced, loose on the feet, easily rotates, nose has NO swing weight to speak of, confidence inspiring for sure :!: Hands down 2018 over 2016.

***1/2 Speed: I'd give the speed a 7/10, with the fin set up shown for the 2018, the 2016 was faster 9/10 I am thinking. Could be this view changes dramatically with the stock fin setup for sure.

***** Control: The difference however in chop was noticeable, the 2018 rides smoother....my frail body appreciated that for sure. It eats chop for breakfast and turns where you want it to without a hint of bounce or hesitation.

***** Upwind ability was uncertain due to a slight shift in wind direction on this day perhaps? IF not the 2018 absolutely screams upwind over the 2016 which was definitely NO slough at all!! Both really excellent in this department, the 2018 perhaps a minimal edge.

****1/2 The 2018 gybes very smoothly, initiation does not waver, it tracks impressively, big edge over the 2016 which always seemed very good in terms of allowing the rider at lower speeds to feel secure, recover any sloppy moves, but with speed is a bit of a bronco, you felt a bit over-boarded and buoyant at higher speeds unless you really bit in the rail and drove it....the 2018 just requires attention but less aggression to snap the turns. In the lulls the board seems to stall however or if you use the same foot positioning as on the 2016....noticeably less float in the tail, it can stall unless you adjust your stance forward! On the 2016 you could take a good pull on your wine skin mid gybe and come out planing....No laziness allowed here, no resting either, it needs attention to a smooth driving carve, you would lose a slalom race against the 2016 I was thinking....unless every gybe you made was perfect. This seemed to improve easily after a few runs and in the end I think I prefer the 2018 over the at bouncy turns at higher speeds. On a marginal or holey wind day I think I would go with the 2016.

***** Wave riding was as comfortable as the 2016, yet slashes felt more aggressive and as I have come to think of my Quatro Cubes and definitely allows the rider a bit more snap on the wave face, yet the board seemed to not have the pop for me as a bigger rider to hit any successful off the lips today...not likely the board's fault but today's waves and this rider's skill set. Tracking while clew first was truly awesome, probably apart from weight and jumping the most remarkable really given the volume shift from the tail....but maybe this was what the goal was all along....I was able to hunt down the better line no problem and felt more stable in this position than on the 2016!

I do suspect tho this 2018 94L board would be even more at home on the open coast in punchy waves over our rolling, comparatively gutless inside passage waves. Can't wait to try it on the Oregon Coast ....but I think now I am packing two same-volume boards :roll: at least until I completely fall in love with this one...

:twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
P1180819.JPG
P1180819.JPG (150 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
P1180818.JPG
P1180818.JPG (151 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
P1180817.JPG
P1180817.JPG (155.5 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Nice initial impressions! Thanks! Rider weight?
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

winddoctor wrote:Nice initial impressions! Thanks! Rider weight?
more beer gut, less muscle = unchanged weight, 206lbs, fragile as a Ming vase :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Nice detailed review Markus.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tsawwassen wrote:Nice detailed review Markus.
thx Mike, there was some interest so I thought I'd add one guy's fairly unbiased opinion ...which will likely change a bit down the road as I learn more :P I have preferred the quatro shapes over the Goya ones but this board brings them quite close :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!

lud

board review

Post by lud »

one of the most informative reviews I've read, wish all board mags went to this level!!
playmore