Windsurf Foiling Discussion

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
elt

Post by elt »

Thanks for the reply Tempy, it sounds like you did everything right. I know those Slingy mast plates can have a bit of slop in them and have heard of people shimming them with pieces of beer can to prevent wobble, but man I didn't think it would be possible to shear those bolts, I figured the plate's collar would prevent that. Its funny the NSI attachment came up, yesterday after reading your post I was thinking about the exact same thing as I currently have a leash similar to the one you had that was no help.
Last edited by elt on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Keen »

Tempy, for what it's worth I tried the magnet test on the stainless bolts I bought and they were not magnetic... so that's not an option.
Some bolts might have markings. You could probably do it by weight on a comparative basis if you have a scale that is able to weight low mass with high precision.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

A week after the loss I received a complete F1 replacement foil package from Slingshot.

Wow!

I think it helped the failure was on video so they could see it was truly a freak ( and they assure me it is) material failure.

They sent replacement titanium bolts for the mast and top plate connection.

I am also getting those mast anchors to ensure this does not happen again.

Onwards and upwards with the foil!

I would 100% recommend the Slingshot product and they clearly stand behind it and provide support when you need it.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

I joined the Flog Life

Post by tweezer »

Bought a starboard 122 and foil 2 weeks ago and sailed it for the first time labour day weekend at Nitinat. Hooked! Mindblowingly fun! Suffering from withdrawal this weekend. Glad to hear you've been well taken care of Tempy!
Cheers
Mark
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Yup, withdrawals here as well. It doesn’t help that I can see all the mutts on CBTV while I wait around for son #2 soccer game in Oak Bay ...

Timing is everything - wind on Saturdays please!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Further update re" bolt material.

Slingshot does not recommend using anything other than their titanium bolts.

Windance is advertising stainless bolts to be used with the HoverGlide top plate, but that is not recommended and Slingshot is going to talk to them about not selling stainless steel bolts to use with any of their foil attachments.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thanks to whoever gave me the tip about using olive oil to clean up the Tefgel. Its nasty sticky stuff if you dont clean it up well. The package recommends using acetone or mineral spirits. These are also nasty though! Then someone told me about the olive oil trick. I happened to have an old bottle of olive oil that had gone stale and it works really well for cleanup.
Tefgel does work really well to stop the corrosion. No more trouble with the bolts getting hard to remove if I leave them in a bit long. The tefgel looked pretty much identical to when I put it on a few weeks ago. But the tefgel is so persistent and messy I think I will do an inspection and just partly remove bolts to ensure they are well covered, rather than complete disassembly other than once every couple of months.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

if any of you with the slingshot setup want an H2 wing, I've got one for sale. Asking $200. As new, 2017 model I believe.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

This is the stock wing on the windsurf setup and is awesome with a great range and early lift. I use it from 4.7 up to 5.8. I just got a new one, though. $200 sounds fair.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

No longer selling an h2 wing (long story)...selling an NF2, which is the base hover glide kite wing. If any of you ss types want to experiment with it or use it kiting, $100.
elt

Post by elt »

Is anybody here windfoiling with the Infinity 84cm? If so, what are your thoughts and how does it compare to other foils you've windfoiled?
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I'm not, however a bunch of guys bought them down in Seattle. The overall impression is far better than the H2 wing (which I do have). Earlier take off but the same or higher top end. Better pitch stability and more secure in the carve.
I'm waiting for the price to come down a little then I'll get the 84cm.
elt

Post by elt »

grantmac wrote:I'm not, however a bunch of guys bought them down in Seattle. The overall impression is far better than the H2 wing (which I do have). Earlier take off but the same or higher top end. Better pitch stability and more secure in the carve.
I'm waiting for the price to come down a little then I'll get the 84cm.
Thanks Grant. It's weird how there's so little out there about it in terms of windfoiling. I've read it carries well through lulls which is perfect for where I live, my goal though is to have something that gets me up on foiler at a lower speed than the H2 and I know it will, I just don't know how big the difference is.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Whyatt (slingshot sponsored rider) has said he far prefers the Infinity wings for overall riding and carving but he jumps using one of the fast kite wings. Basically he doesn't have a use for the H2 and honestly I consider it a crappy design. They picked a far more efficient airfoil for the infinity which is why it gains at both ends.

Looks like NP is coming out with a very similar wing for their next Gen freeride foil.
elt

Post by elt »

grantmac wrote:Whyatt (slingshot sponsored rider) has said he far prefers the Infinity wings for overall riding and carving but he jumps using one of the fast kite wings. Basically he doesn't have a use for the H2 and honestly I consider it a crappy design. They picked a far more efficient airfoil for the infinity which is why it gains at both ends.

Looks like NP is coming out with a very similar wing for their next Gen freeride foil.
I've been pleased with my H2 as it's been fine in high winds where I was lit on a 3.7, but I don't have much basis for comparison. It's my understanding the Infinity 76cm makes the H2 redundant with gains on either end. I figure that between my h5 and an 84cm Infinity, I'd probably no longer need an H2.