Don't laugh but... foil on 200L Starboard GO?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Don't laugh but... foil on 200L Starboard GO?

Post by AJSpencer »

Hey guys,
Definitely novice with windsurfing. Decided to try to get back into windsurfing earlier this year. Saw lots of recommendations online for Starboard GO, so was looking around for used ones and found a 200L (ya, big!). Got a used rig from BWD forum and got out and had fun the few days I was able to get out. Even got it planing for brief moments coming down some big chop out in Pat Bay.
I figured, whatever, if it's slow, it'll still be a nice SUP or beginner board for my kids some day. Was cheap.
But anyways, lately I've seen lots of videos for the newer wings for wing foiling. Thinking of picking up a wing, but it really just looks like its only worthwhile if you're going to foil with it.
Everything I read says use a foiling SUP or floaty foiling surfboard for stability, but I'm wondering, with such a big windsurfing board like this 200L, what about using the Foilmount and putting a foil on it? Too heavy? I'm also 190lbs, so might need a lot of speed to get lift off.
Just don't want a lot of boards and want to keep costs down whenever possible.
Also wondering if anyone has any experience with those foilmounts? Do they wash off?
:wink:
Royce

Foil

Post by Royce »

I got to try windfoiling for the fist time this past summer on a bic nova 165L and a slingshot 2019 foil with the largest front wing mounted with deep Tuttle. First we tried towing it behind the boat when there was no wind to get a feel for it and it flew at 10 km an hour on the GPS 18 was best, the next day we used it with 5.5 sail and flew much slower and easier. I’m just under 200lbs.the bic nova feels light to me for its size,not perfect but good enough for light wind fun for sure. Hopefully some of this is applicable .
winddude

Post by winddude »

The GO is a bloody heavy board for foiling, and the straps are set inboard pretty far.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

I tried to delete this thread but couldn’t. Then I hoped it got lost forever and no one comments on it. Thanks a lot. :oops:
lol
Ya definitely heavy beasts! Got a Dialer 145 and got up on the foil (for a few seconds) for the first time today.