Ukee to Nitinat by boat?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

More than a good idea, I would think 2 engines would be a necessity.

interesting read here :

https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Nitinat_Bar.php
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

tempy wrote:interesting read here :

https://www.nauticapedia.ca/Gallery/Nitinat_Bar.php
cool little history lesson there...except it makes me wonder what all those forests were like once :? I never got to see them, my kids as toddlers barely got to see what I did of what was left. All you new kiters have no idea what the Nat was like in the 80’s....man has such a huge messy merciless and lasting footprint! Viva Covid-19 2.0, I hear the mother earth and its wildlife cheer you on! :arrow: maybe we get a few storms along with it tho :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Hear hear.
Just watched Planet of the Humans. :shock: New Michael Moore doc on youtube. “Biomass”...shit.
Meanwhile they’re still logging old growth right here.
But I digress — unrelated to thread and prob controversial subject. :wink:

Would be cool to go by boat.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I've been in and out there a few dozen times, mostly in a tiny zodiac. Its always an adrenaline rush even when the swell is nearly flat, because big sets can appear out of nowhere and the currents in the narrows are massive - you can often see a strong flood near the surface and a strong ebb a few feet down. I could never understand how they got towboats out with booms until one of the Ditidaht elders told me how it was done. They would get to the bar, then release the spool on the tow cable and race out past the break in between sets, once out they would slow down and lock the cable winch and load up the tow again. That article says that the most experienced skipper preferred low slack. Its pretty shallow, and that seems unlikely - high slack has way more water under the keel and way fewer breaking waves generally. Because its so shallow all the small boats usually go out through a gap in the rocks on the north side - but you havw to time that to go over a rock in the middle of the gap on a swell. There was a larger sailboat spent most of a couple of summers at the windy beach - went in and out on a high slack with minimal waves, no issues.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Looks pretty cool.

Too bad it's not windy out there. or is it :?: :idea:
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Rare descent NW in summer but generally its flat while the caycuse camp is cranking. I lived up by the narrows all one summer. Brought my gear and only slogged a couple of times. Had to run down to the camp for a fix. I was trying on the lake though I never even considered sailing the bar at the time. The outside would get a bit more wind. I do remember having to turn around a few times at the bar on the way out to get crab Bait fish because there was too much wind on the outside. Youd have I have a boat or jet ski assist though.