WHEN TO KITE AND WHEN TO NOT

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
asscrack

WHEN TO KITE AND WHEN TO NOT

Post by asscrack »

There are times when we really want to kite,when maybe be shouldn't. LIKE WHEN :shock: It's cranking onshore windy and the power lines are not far away. :shock: Everything is blowing away as you are trying to pump up. :shock: know one out, or even around. :shock: the smallest kite you have is just not small enough. :shock: When the hard core locals, are leaving.Or not present. :shock: It's only blowing over 40 knots and the last time you did this was over a month ago. :shock: Always test new gear first, on land. :shock: Don't go ,just because your friends will be impressed. :shock: Know your kite inside out and don't get one that can. :shock: Don't go out, especially, if you have never sailed here before,and the conditions are nuts. :shock: Don't think because you are wearing a helmet, you are "invincible"! :shock: YOU ARE NOT! :lol: :shock:
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
JL

Post by JL »

I concur ... Know YOUR limits ... I've passed on more local sessions than I've kited this year ... It's been quite a winter & it's not over yet !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
asscrack

Do you know the limit of your gear

Post by asscrack »

:D Hello all,Lets have a Happy New Year 2008.I have to note with all the large storms we have been having,that kiters are able to go out on the water more now,with the advent of the new designs. :shock: But it seems that some are not making the right choice,when it comes to kite size.Kiter's here,are trying to go out with to large a kite for the conditions. :? most of the small kites are 6 meter and 7 meter 8 meter sizes.When they should be 4 meter 5 or 6 meter.Granted we are getting unusually high winds of late.Riders are still not riding small enough kites.They are not used to the strength of this onslaught of storm force wind.And seem unable to judge what size kite to use.Every kiter needs a team to get him out and back safely in these conditions.I would like to see more 4 and six meter kites being used by local riders.Definitely smaller is better,in situations where a storm wind is concerned. :oops: I think everyone would agree.For everyones sake. :lol:I have just ordered a 5 meter. :wink: The Ocean Rodeo Rise 4 meter looks great. :lol:
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hail the 5m kite! Had it pumped on the beach last session but the 7m was perfect. The 5m goes to 50ish knots

I never kite in on shore winds, anywhere. Luckily we don't get them around here, but that is asking for trouble imho.

Also The one time I saw marathon dave in 30+ knots on an 11m C kite at Tofino, I figured he is the last guy to judge suitable kite sizes by :lol: :lol:
Your own limits are different than another riders, to be sure.
Signature Block.
JL

Post by JL »

Good point about Dave !!! I kite often in onshore conditions , it's o.k. as long as your willing to fully depower when necessary & use your 'punchout' if your on your own @ end of session ... I don't know any details but it seems Penguin proved the practicality of helmets yesterday .
Thermals are good.
asscrack

When to and not to

Post by asscrack »

:D Good to see,kiters really paying attention to the conditions.Strong winds getting stronger by the second,with kites pumped up.Realizing that the kites could be too large,kiters opted, to wait it out.And,at least wait until a safe launching window, opened up. :lol: Sail smart,and get to sail another day. :lol: :roll: :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Well, the other side is you do have to try and push the limits to get to the next level. Experience will tell you, sometimes it's 50/50 to think you can try and make it a go....so you try, staying near shore at first is obviously a great idea :D Same applies to windsurfing, it looks doable, you get out there and can barely get waterstarted to get back to shore cuz you have a meter too much and waves crashing on ya......don't panic, think of how great it is just to have the opportunity to be beaten up :twisted: just hang on to the gear (#1 priority :!: ), wait for the lull, limp in, try not to break too much stuff :oops: , no biggie.
Ask others around to watch how you do (and if they are not paying attention ask them to), rescue is an option, everything was checked and triple checked, proper suit etc is worn, all the safety gear was "go", then an abort after a brief trial is still an adrenalin rush 8)
Last edited by KUS on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AC

Kite lines

Post by AC »

If you ever have to self rescue and make your way to the kite..
when you reach the kite MAKE shure you are clear of all lines
HAVE A GOOD GRIP ON KITE."DO NOT LET GO"
if you let go of the kite and lines are around you. BAD NEWS.
potential amputation. Have a good day all. :twisted:
WIND POWER COMPOUNDES +2 every 5 knots after 30 knots.
And DO NOT hold you kite directly over your head while standing on the beach.
Last edited by AC on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

To me onshore wind unless its under 15 knots is not a wise idea for any level of kitesurfer unless its a very wide open beach like long beach with time to QR. You just dont have time to react while being dragged onshore.

If you disagree, tell me how often you kiteboard on land in 20 knots with obstructions all around. Its pretty close to the same thing expect on water you are under some added illusion that you are safer.

Also if you are new to a spot ask the locals about winds. KSD recently asked me about launching a 16 and I said I would suggest the 10m cos it was likely to build fast looking at the wind line. Only 15 minutes later it picked up to 40 knots so I credit him for both taking the advice seriously, and asking for some to begin with :)
Signature Block.
asscrack

To kite or not to kite

Post by asscrack »

:( A couple of years back,I met the German Rep for EH kites,and his wife.A really nice couple.Older full of energy,and excitement about the sport and the direction it was going.He seemed very safe oriented.Always wore a floatation vest and helmet,ect.In Cabarete where we met,in the Dominican Republic.He was out in a lot of wind, almost regularly.Was a pretty good sailer.Yes,.....I said was.......I heard,that in an onshore wind,in a location he was not familiar with on the Euro coast...AGAINST THE ADVICE OF THE LOCALS....Was pulled off the water, on to a rocky shoreline and dragged untill DEAD.supposedly the locals, ,because of the squall factor,told him not to go.They also told him to at least, rig a smaller kite.Advise which was ignored,and led to his unfortunate demise.Going through my photo's of my trip that year,i found one of the couple on the beach in a happy moment.Obviously sad ending.Could have all been avoided,listen,watch,and play safe. 8) My advice for 2008. :lol:
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hey JL,

On shore wind is ill-advised for Dads (even more so for single Dads :wink: ).

An old acquaintance mused up a system of "life points" depending on your choices and circumstances. Parents got many extra "life points" than DINKs like me due to the energy and effort (i.e. love) and future value to society. I just thought I would hate to see someone blow all those life points by kitesurfing in a silly situation ... :)
Signature Block.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

How onshore is onshore? Any component of being cross-on? I had no idea that this was quite so dangerous. I've been asked to launch kites a number of times when no-one else was around, and I don't think I've ever thought about asking the kiter about it being onshore, though I do ask how experienced they are. This just isn't a safety issue for windsurfing, in fact the opposite. I was wondering earlier if there was a typo and the comment was regarding offshore wind, dumping the kite in a lull (offshore wind is usually turbulent) then being dragged to sea. I've always waded out with the kite though so perhaps its always been enough cross-shore to be OK.

I'll certainly watch for this in future.

After the Seattle kiter died last fall, I noted that several posts by kiters encouraged those who wanted to sail extreme winds to windsurf then, since it was relatively safer. Having watched kiters here several times sail 40 knots plus with no problems at all (their risk has got to be less than mine with the potential for me to get exhausted an unable to make it back in), I think the risk is relative if you aren't already an expert windsurfer. Maybe windsurfing is safer if its extemely gusty and shifty, but otherwise a 2-4 m kite has got to be relatively safe. What do you kiters think?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

In high winds accidents happen much faster on a small kite. Its more dangerous than windsurfing because you get dragged and cant release. With a small nimble kite it might be harder to get to your quick release with the kite zipping around like a bee and you tossing every way. You can get knocked out just hitting the water. Windsurfing doest have that super critical kind of potential to get into a bad spot without any warning.
Signature Block.
asscrack

Onshore is onshore

Post by asscrack »

Cross on, is still on shore.But when the wind is exactly staight ,directly on shore...This is when it is most dangerous...You really have to have experience to sail safely.This is something new kiters have to learn.More, from time on the water,in regular sailing conditions.You still have to be able to judge the conditions correctly for safe sailing.For windsurfing,not so important.Except when it comes to beach break.And undertow along the shoreline.Masts snap,and things happen very close to dry land.Kites have to be on the small size,when unable to judge correct wind conditions.Less likelyhood of being dragged up on shore.It is very difficult to get out ,well away, from the beach.The wind just pushes you back.Deep water is far safer.Still very dangerous,if wind is unpredictable.Asking for trouble if kite has to much power.The new SLE kites have way more depower,than ever amagined,this is definetly a safer system.But not foolproof. :shock: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 100% DEPOWER. :shock: Ask the experts.Rig small,sail safe. :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

My kite is set up so that if I let go of the bar the kite falls from the sky ... 8)
Thermals are good.