Straps or bindings??? safety question for air time...

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
ambientrax

Straps or bindings??? safety question for air time...

Post by ambientrax »

I busted my fibula back in 2015 in Baja... couldn't kick my board off in time, one of my feet came out...anyways, just wondering if anyone thinks having a binding instead of straps is safer? just theoretically... I don't really do jumps much now, I ride my surfboard etc, sometimes strapless... but I wanna get back into boosting air I am a little worried about re-injuring the plate and screws I have in the one leg. I wonder if bindings would be a safer bet, or if they come with a whole slew of different possible problems etc. I was stuck on the beach with my air cast for a while, had to do something while I was healing etc... we made this little video https://vimeo.com/91872829 but yeah, Maybe someone can give some advice on whether straps or bindings would be a better choice or not, and why?
ambientrax

what this guy says...

Post by ambientrax »

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I think boots are safer for weekend warrior boosts and tricks. Same reason as you experienced, one foot coming out on even a small jump can devastate you. That said you need some practice getting used to crashing in boots.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
ambientrax

Post by ambientrax »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEMnQ1DQOA this is some of the info I am looking for....
JL

Post by JL »

I hear you. I've got plates & screws from a windsurfing landing @ J.R. 25 years ago. When I'm kiting I roll onto my back if I'm coming down hot. The other option is to let go of the bar. :shock: It's not jumping that can hurt you, It's landing :P
Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

If surfboard airs....hooks are the answer. You can boost high and easily kick off board if you need to.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

juandesooka wrote:If surfboard airs....hooks are the answer. You can boost high and easily kick off board if you need to.
I partially got into strapless riding to mitigate ankle injuries from bindings/straps. Ironically I'm 1 month in recovery post DOUBLE ankle sprain from a strapless air landing gone pear-shaped. I've got at least another month to go before any water time. If you like to boost, you better be prepared to pay at some point, straps, hooks or not.
Poultry in motion
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

winddoctor wrote:
juandesooka wrote:If surfboard airs....hooks are the answer. You can boost high and easily kick off board if you need to.
I partially got into strapless riding to mitigate ankle injuries from bindings/straps. Ironically I'm 1 month in recovery post DOUBLE ankle sprain from a strapless air landing gone pear-shaped. I've got at least another month to go before any water time. If you like to boost, you better be prepared to pay at some point, straps, hooks or not.
Funny (not haha though), I broke my ankle on strapless surfboard too. Maybe strapless is actually the dangerous option! Probably not, mine was a freakish coincidence on a turn gone wrong. I am now chicken to try strapless airs, those landings feel pretty easy to roll an ankle.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I know 4 people who have broken their femur windsurfing or kiting. All were thanks to straps and one foot popping out.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
JL

Post by JL »

Close one dunkinguy :shock: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailin ... ew&p=31857 I hope all you folks have insurance :idea:
Thermals are good.