Punta San Carlos kite camp October 26th?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Do it Morley. Never too old!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Do it Morley! They are older/less skilled folks than you out there always. It's a life changing spot. Seriously.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Hey, I am right here!
JL

Post by JL »

The faster you go , the less time you are on the rough road. :P
Thermals are good.
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

I am booked for the Oct. 26 F-ONE Instructional Kite Wavecamp! Looking forward to it!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Awesome. You are going to wonder why you didn't do it years ago!

It will help you a bunch if you watch whatever videos you can find on side/ side-off wave kiting as it will be completely foreign to anything you've done before. I think Ben Wilson might have some older but good ones. As I said before it's actually way easier, you just need to wrap your head around it. You'll also want to familiarize yourself with a self rescue again and be confident in the fact that although the wind is off shore you can in fact get back to shore easily you just need to do it right and be patient. Lastly, if you haven't spent any time in proper swell a trip to tofino to SUP or surf would pay dividends just so you are acquainted with how much more power ground swell has compared to wind slop. If you manage to kite in it then even better so you get used to a few tumbles and feel confident. The wave at PSC is incredibly friendly but doing some prep will allow you to take full advantage of it.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

And get fit .... seriously.

It is a full on week. one time I went a guy pulled his hammie on the Monday. That sucked.
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

Thanks for the excellent advice Tony! I did do a surf trip to Tofino last May but was more or less in the kiddie pool (close to shore). I did get some sense of the swell but it was a pretty mild swell at the time. Not sure if I will have time for another Tofino trip before October.

Tempy, yeah, 8 days on the water seems daunting, I get pooped after 2 or 3 days at the lake. As for pulling a hamstring, I have bought travel cancelation insurance (worldnomads.com, specifically allow for Kitesurfing among many other sports). Plus I am going to put in as much gym time as I can over the next two months.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Summer 2020 trip planning ... aiming for nanmoo model, 3 week trip, 5 days travel each way, 10 days at PSC.

Safety in numbers so convoy partners welcome! Probably aim for last week July and first 2 weeks august...dunno if that's optimal but it's the timing that works for work etc.

Stoked..
Something to look forward too
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

You should all go! You will love it! We are doing Maui honeymoon this Oct, but likely hitting it on the drive mid-Oct 2020. It is unreal and lifechanging! DO IT!!!!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

juandesooka wrote:Summer 2020 trip planning ... aiming for nanmoo model, 3 week trip, 5 days travel each way, 10 days at PSC.

Safety in numbers so convoy partners welcome! Probably aim for last week July and first 2 weeks august...dunno if that's optimal but it's the timing that works for work etc.

Stoked..
Something to look forward too
Timing is fine, it is just busy in the summer. Less worrisome for a kiter, sucks to be a windsurfer and get snaked by all the kiters though.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

I would highly recommend one of the Wave camps if it is your first time. I have enjoyed Wyatt and Tyson's a lot, and there are others as well.