Inflation?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
raztec

Inflation?

Post by raztec »

I'm just curious how much the cost of gear has increased in the last 10 years. Has there been a substantial increase in the cost of kites, harnesses, bars etc. since 2010?

Thx
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Inflation?

Post by KUS »

raztec wrote:I'm just curious how much the cost of gear has increased in the last 10 years. Has there been a substantial increase in the cost of kites, harnesses, bars etc. since 2010?

Thx
harnesses $115 to over $300, WS boards $1600 to over $3k, sails say $450 now $850 to over a grand ....of course that’s msrp ...and bad memory maybe....I’d say in 10 years all doubled up :idea:
Why?? Hasn’t your income doubled and taxes stayed the same?? :roll: :lol:

I’m told inflation is only two or 3%...right...like food
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Inflation?

Post by Tsawwassen »

KUS wrote:harnesses $115 to over $300, WS boards $1600 to over $3k, sails say $450 now $850 to over a grand ....of course that’s msrp ...and bad memory maybe....I’d say in 10 years all doubled up :idea:
Why?? Hasn’t your income doubled and taxes stayed the same?? :roll: :lol:

I’m told inflation is only two or 3%...right...like food
Found the price list below online..... your memory is not so bad Kus.

Also found a shot of this local legend!!

Attachments
HSM2010.jpg
HSM2010.jpg (408.3 KiB) Viewed 5223 times
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Dollar was at par around then for a bit too...
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddude

Post by winddude »

I think this is older than when dollar was close to/above par... 6 batten waves sails in a 3.0.

Plus you got 6 battens instead of 4, 3 or 2. Cost should have dropped with each batten removed. :lol:

Don't forget gas. :roll:
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Geez, Lawrence, I thought you were responding to a kite bladder question and came for the fireworks!&#129315;
Ned

Post by Ned »

Pretty easy explanation for most of those goods. Having worked in this industry for many years I can tell you, and as you likely know, these items are almost exclusively made in Asia. The economies in most Asian countries have grown massively the last 15 years, and as a result, cheap labour over there is not nearly as cheap as it was before.

China in particular now has a much larger middle class. As a result those people now want better jobs, and they have more money. So not only are there fewer people to hire, there is increasing demand for goods from the middle class. This causes production to shift towards making things for local markets. It also drives up the costs of raw materials, as there is more demand for them to make consumer goods in Asia instead. It's easier to sell stuff into your own country rather than deal with N American sports goods makers who keep haggling about rising costs.

The N American brands making your gear may be making a bit more than the past, but their costs have risen dramatically too.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Ned wrote:China in particular now has a much larger middle class. As a result those people now want better jobs, and they have more money.
the main driver for this island of ours to explode so my kids can't buy a house....we have only ourselves to blame :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Inflation is inevitable. Sometimes by 100% ….inflatable...
https://youtu.be/ldXYA4CPtzg