Cook Street Webcam news

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Cook Street Webcam news

Post by bwd »

I have some bad news about the Cook Street webcam. Mark is moving out of the apartment so we are losing access to the house on Dallas Road. The camera will be turned off Tuesday or Wednesday this week. Thanks to Mark for hosting the webcam for as long as he did and congrats on the new house.

I have been talking to the B&B at the bottom of Cook Street (The Dashwood Manor) and they are interested in having the cam there. I still have to work some details out and I hope to meet with them this week. Hopefully this will work out.

So it looks like the webcam will be down for at least a week, if not longer. Sorry about the timing. I'll keep you posted.

dave
Last edited by bwd on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Absolutely terrible news!

[edit] don't want to seem ungrateful to hosts! So what Doc said!
Last edited by more force 4 on Tue May 22, 2007 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Cheers to Mark for hosting the Kook Cam. It's been a luxury (like the rest of this site) and a time saver. Thanks, Dave, for the footwork for the new location.
Poultry in motion
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Mark & Dave ... Where is Cook st. ?!
Thermals are good.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Geez! Dave we were just kidding you the other day about cam audits, no need to start shutting everything down!

...but seriously this is disastrous, now instead of getting sucked down to Kook by the cam only to have the wind die, I'll get sucked down by latest reports only to have the wind die. Bummer.
Cj

Post by Cj »

bummer! While the cams down i'll try to update the message board with on site reports, when i'm not on the water that is. I have a clear shot of the flag from my deck and with binocs i can see white caps form.
somebody said " go fly a kite".
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

Ohh man.. that totaly bums me out.
But yes, thanks to Mark for the time and effort.
Maybe there will be more OSR from there now?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

So I had a busy but productive evening. I met with Dave at the Dashwood Manor and he is interested in having the webcam there. The difficulty is that it has to go outside and near (or on) the roof and we would need a very long cable to reach power/internet near the back of the house. I think the view would be excellent but it would be difficult to set up and to keep the camera clean from salt spray.

After the visit I stopped by Marks place to unhook the webcam :( He suggested I speak to the home owners about keeping the webcam there. They are super nice and have heard about the website and would like to keep the camera going if possible. The apartment is being renovated over the next month so I am hoping to keep the webcam going until at least then. Mark is going to look at getting the internet extended for another month...thanks!

Now here is the interesting part. They don't have anyone lined up yet to rent the apartment. If we can get someone in there that kites/wsurfs and doesn't mind having the webcam in the window then we could keep it going. The apartment is sweet - on Dallas Road, amazing views, it's a good sized apartment with one bedroom and large living room, top floor, steps to kiting/windsurfing, really nice landlords, avail laundry, sep entrance, and I pay your hi-speed internet bill. They are looking for 1 person to rent it, who is quiet and willing to stay there for a while (yeah I know it would be tough). I'd rent it myself if I didn't work in Sidney. PM me if interested (or use the Home/Contact) and I can forward your name onto them.

Right now the webcam is off, but I'm hoping to get it back online soon...fingers and toes crossed.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Could you tell us what the view is like? :wink:

Thats great news. Its been almost 6 months since the last $ drive. Put some of your saved gas money back into BWD!
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

Do you know how much $$$$ they want for rent Dave ?????
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Nosey wrote:Do you know how much $$$$ they want for rent Dave ?????
No not yet, they are getting back to me once they figure it out. They are doing some reno's so they are likely raising it a bit, but from what I remember it was very reasonable. They are mostly interested in finding a really good renter.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

cool, can you keep us in the loop???
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Here are the details on the apartment at 1144 Dallas Road (the price is still approximate since they have just started the renovations). They are doing some major upgrading to the apartment and adding laundry in the suite etc and the price will be about $1100 per month. A bit much for the average person I know, but it would suit a single professional person or even a couple. Expected to be available August 1st.

I'm still trying to work out some details to get the camera back up there. I'll know more in a few days.
dave
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

It took lots of work, but the Cook cam is back online. It should hopefully be up for June/July while they renovate the apartment and then we will have to see if the new tenant wants it left here when they move in on Aug 1. Hopefully they will want their internet paid for.

Huge thanks go out to Dave and Feona B. (the house owners) for letting me put the camera back up while they renovate 8)

As I said it took lots of work to get it back up so I hope everyone appreciates it and it would be nice to get more feedback. As Winddoctor said we should treat the webcams as a luxury since they will all not be around forever...
dave
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Thanks Dave! This way it saves people calling me all the time to ask me what the trees in my back yard are doing :)
Vive et Ama