New Pipers Lagoon Webcam

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

New Pipers Lagoon Webcam

Post by bwd »

We at BWD are happy to introduce you to a new webcam: The Pipers Lagoon Webcam in Nanaimo:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=9 8)

This is a great sailing spot on a NW - warm water, nice swell and sweet rigging area. Hopefully the webcam will be helpful here.

Huge thanks to JohnO the webcam host. He has an amazing view of Pipers and hopefully when he sees all of us sailing it will entice him back out on the water. Big thanks to ~4J Jason for hooking us up with John and to Bean who did a lot of the leg work to get this webcam going.

Thanks again to ~4J Jason for raising money for this camera and to everyone that donated. The webcam is 70% paid off already.

There are some minor issues to fix already. First, the webcam vibrates in the wind. This may be noticeable when you zoom in on a windy day. Hopefully we can improve the mount soon. Also, maybe the cam needs to be moved to the right a bit? Maybe locals can comment on the positioning...

Just in case you are wondering - this is not the Cook Street webcam. It's a new webcam and I still hope to get the Cook cam up sometime soonish...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Awesome Dave et al :P Looks like I need to do some logging again :wink: Great stuff for the up-island folks especially :twisted: and those of us who need the extra push to pay the fuel for a great morning sesh :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
ramcraez

piper's cam

Post by ramcraez »

Hey guys, I'm new to the website and it's mostly because I found this web cam. I love this cam, it's nice to be able to check the water prior to going out. the only neg comment I have is that the pic seems a little dark after noonish but do to the sun's locale there is probably nothing you can do about it. Morning pics are awesome though.
Thanks
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: piper's cam

Post by bwd »

Thanks for the comments. I changed the exposure a bit so let me know if it's any better. It is a tricky exposure with the water/sky/trees.
dave
windcraver

piper's cam

Post by windcraver »

This is sweet - a big thanxs to ALL that made it happen...now I can stop bothering my friends at the Biological station to tell me if there are white caps!
BWD - if one had some spare change to donate to this lovely new webcam ....where would one send it to?
Position isn't bad FYI.
Thanxs again!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks for the comments windcraver. Donations can be made using PayPal and a credit card here: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/donate.htm

thanks!
dave
Last edited by bwd on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Whoa, I leave civilization for a few days and come back to a Piper's cam! Looks great! Thanks to John, Dave and Bean and others who helped...and to those that have donated to the cam so far!

Woohoo!
Gramma Jo

Piper's Webcam

Post by Gramma Jo »

Wow, the view is fantastic, awesome, West Coast! :D Thanks to all who made this happen, and to the folks whose home it is adorning. 8)
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I live south of Nanaimo and often refer to the Piper's Lagoon webcam, but the last few days have only shown a view of the rooftop shingles.

Obviously the cam got knocked by a falling branch or something- any chance that it could get pointed at the water again?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hi Steve: yes I've sent some emails to JohnO the house owner but haven't gotten a reply yet. He might be away. He needs to climb on a steep section of the roof to fix it. Maybe one of the local Nanaimo guys that know John could drop by...Eastside, 4J (if you're around).
Thanks
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
eastside

Post by eastside »

I'll leave a note at his house tomorrow and offer to help fix it.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you Eastside 8)
eastside

Post by eastside »

I passed the message along to J's wife. I looked at the camera. It's still attached to the bracket and looks ok. It looks like it just needs to be repointed out to sea and tightened up so it doesn't swing down.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

As you can see, the webcam is not pointed at the roof anymore - thanks Eastside and JohnO. It still needs to be angled UP a bit. This is not easy and takes a bit of fiddling. I will probably head up there at some point with my laptop since this is the easiest way to do it.
Dave
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Sorry for the down time of the Piper's webcam. We had some equipment issues. The webcam has been moved to DavidM's house and shows more of the lagoon and the spit. Huge thanks to David for moving the webcam and for spending several days getting it working. Big thanks to Duckbill who helped in the move and installation. Nice works guys!

For now the zoom doesn't work for the public. If we really need it we can try and get it working.
Attachments
Pipers3.jpg
Pipers3.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
Pipers2.jpg
Pipers2.jpg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
Pipers1.jpg
Pipers1.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 9814 times