Post by ~ pimp hand ~ »

:arrow: :arrow: the spit
gnome

Post by gnome »

I'll add my vote for the spit.
Wavos Rancheros

billings spit - sooke basin

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

it'd be nice to cam billings spit for awhile just to see how it blows there when the westerly systems are flukey at kook and at gordos...if there is any consistency at all it could be great for the less hardcore group of sailors who aren't going to tune in to the open ocean sailing yet...are the majority of people who use this site hardcore open ocean sailors? are we looking to expand the site on the recreational side?
Graham

Post by Graham »

On an entirely selfish note, I vote for Cordova Bay. (yes, GMac's sister lives in the purple house, dead centre on the beach...I think his parents still live a couple doors away too)

On a share-the-wealth-and-promote-wind/water-sports-on-the-island, I vote for Comox Spit.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Suggestions so far...

Post by bwd »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It sounds like it's not a simple decision:

Cordova Bay: 3
Comox Spit: 4
San Pareil/Sebastian Road: 3
Cook Street/Beacon Hill second cam: 1
IV closer cam: 1
JR: 1
Sooke Basin: 1

Here's my thoughts:
Cordova Bay - it would help for the NE near Agate Beach, and it sounds like we may have some options for hosting. This is a possibility, although personally I hate NE winds.

Comox Spit: a possibility and the votes lean towards this option. I'm wondering how many locals I've actually heard from - do they want a cam here and would it be helpful? Would a webcam pointed onto flat water show us anything, or maybe a weather station would be more useful?

San Pareil/Sebastian Road: a possibility, although the number of people that would use it is low, lower than Pipers and that was pushing it a bit.

Cook Street/Beacon Hill second cam: maybe, although would seeing still pics of a flag every 20 secs show us anything?

IV closer cam: maybe, but not sure where it would go. It sounds like we are losing out current webcam home soon so it may have to be moved anyway...

JR: not likely at this point in time.

Sooke Basin: maybe, but low numbers of users again. A possibility I guess if enough people wanted one.

So no answers yet, but I'm leaning towards Cordova Bay or Comox Spit but we need to hear from more local users.
Kite Kook

Post by Kite Kook »

Someday, a second cam for Cook St. would be ideal. But the flag photo non-streaming isn't really worth the effort, IMHO.
Last edited by Kite Kook on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vive et Ama
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

How 'bout the grotto at the PB mansion?
Poultry in motion
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Web cam

Post by rvanderbyl »

Having lived in San Pareil for ther last 7 years all I know is there is way more sailable days than my schedule allows me to take advantage of. But of course no one would know that without a cam here. The same could be said for any location I suppose. One could argue that the other close cams combined with a look at the latest reports would be good enough to judge the wind here (San Pareil). The fact is that sometimes it can be better here than any of those other spots depending on what system is moving through, current conditions, etc... Of course it can be worse too. The only way to find out the merits of any area is to put a cam there for a trial period, say a year, to be fair. If a spot doesn't deserve the attention, move the cam to the next spot. What have we all got to lose. Some people could be pleasently surprised. Or it could just suck! :shock: I for one think the cams that are way off in the distance from the water, quite frankly, are not much fun. The best cam of them all at BWD is the CB cam. More cam's need to be focused right on the sailing area. My vote goes for any area where you feel like you're right there. SP could be that area.
Anyway. I've got that off my chest now :D
Why aren't YOU out there?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Comox spit cam, It's a place where there is hardly any uncertainty in wind conditions. If it's blowing at cape lazo or comox, its blowing at the spit. And it blows often and for a long time. So it would serve no value as a diagnostic tool.

I know there are a few kiters and windsurfers from Nanaimo who kite in Lantzville. I know some of the people that live in the water front houses on Sebastian. I could offer to contact them.

However with the Cam at Pipers, it would basically show the same thing but youd get a much closer shot of the water conditions.

A weather station at Sebastion would make sense to me since it would be useful for conditions at Lantzville and Pipers/Nanaimo. We now kitesurf at several spots inbetween Sebastion and Pipers, so this would be helpful. Only wireless stations please :lol:
Signature Block.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Rvan, I've been skunked on so many NW at San Pariel, I just dont see the use ...

The NW only lasts an hour or two. By the time you get there, its over.

Sorry
Signature Block.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Web cams

Post by rvanderbyl »

I too have been skunked many a time at San pareil, not to mention every spot out there as well. One of the great things about all the cams is the savings in carbon emissions trying to figure out where to sail. After all there is more than one wind direction. With the cam at San Pareil you will see the NW wind line coming well in advance of the wind actually hitting Pipers or SP, that's a bonus for trying to figure out where to go first and not get skunked. NW wind typically starts on the far side of the strait with white caps visible by Lasquity Isl. well before it hits at SP or Pipers.
Anyway, from the time I started sailing Pville Bay in the 80's to about 5 to 6, 7, 8 years ago the NW winds were much more reliable for lasting well towards noon with 4.5 to 6.0 conditions. I'm not sure if the spit is sailable in other than SE conditions, but who cares if you could get the cam close enough to enjoy the action. Also, it's a great idea to get a cam where both kiters and windsurfers can enjoy the benefits.
I think a weather station at Sebastion Rd. is a bit redundant with Sisters, CB, Ballenas and Entrance reporting wind speeds. However it would be nice to have the wind speeds, at some sites, updated at far more frequent intervals.
On another note, why the hell do I even care, I barely even get to sail lately. Hopefully the new Campervan will allow me to get to Nit Nat for next season with a bit more regularity and portable child care.
Why aren't YOU out there?
konabud

Post by konabud »

I would sponsor the webcam if it were to go at the comox spit (pay for the install, monthly fee, etc). It would give us info on how much water is in the bay, wind strength, and if anyone else is out... Quite often the wind starts to kick-up here before Columbia Beach and it could be used as a wind gage for the straight. I would certainly find it useful. Globetrotter's parents house has a bird's eye view. If that wasn't a go, I know of another house we might be able to use. I just have no time to do any of the leg work and install. Maybe Globe could help? Let me know if you are interested Dave. Thanks, Wade.
suf or die
Joe

Post by Joe »

Any RC pilots out there? OK, I think the spare cam should be a roaming drone, searching the coast for great wind and waves. http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid= ... 3453839215

See this......coooooollllll :o
eastside

Post by eastside »

I think Sans Pareil would be worth a try. It should be a good intermediate area especially for kiters,(sandy beach? no obstructions, should get blown back to shore on nw if problem) plus some waves on se and nw winds. How about w winds? I don't know how useful a Lantzville camera would be for me. Pipers gets more wind on nw ( but usually blowing at Lantzville)and cb better on se. More kiters go to Lantzville so that would be a positive. The more cameras the better, we just need to raise more$$$$ Port Alberni also good spot.
Windsurfish

Webcam Location

Post by Windsurfish »

Hi Dave,

It seems as though what we could really use up Island is an overview shot of the "whole picture" rather than any specific beach view. The subdivision in N Nanaimo between Dickinson Rd and The foot of uplands (roughly above thousand steps sailing site) has a full sweeping panorama of the straight including a direct view of the Winchelseas, Ballenas and across the strait. The spray of Bird$hi! rock and the Winchelseas is excellent for pre CB warning, and the NWs give a fantastic whitcap view in advance of a great Pipers session. Just an idea, but a wide angle cam here would provide a view that is "updated' more than the hourly weatherstation data. Does anyone have a friend in this neighbourhood?