Island View Weather Station and Webcam

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

JL wrote:Nice Dave ... MPH displayed on 'Real Time data'... KNOTS to come right ? 8) ... Direction looks about right ...
Thanks, I changed the default to Knots. I think you can also select and save your units of choice (Units button on bottom).
morewind wrote:Very cool solar powered/wireless weather station. Another great addition to the site.
Yes it is a cool weather station. The station sends the data wirelessly to the small digital console indoors. The console plugs directly into the router and gets and IP address (no PC required) and my home PC grabs data from it every 3 seconds. With 3 second updates we can see the live data and also capture any gust info. This is different than at Gordons or Columbia where I have a PC at the sites that collect and upload the data. We'll see how it works at IV.
dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

For the IV webcam, it currently shows Kelp and the airport. I should add the WS data on there. But I only want to show 2, 3 is too many. So what do you want, Kelp or the airport...likely Kelp right? Hopefully they fix it one day for low readings/directions.
Dave
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I'd say kelp, if I was me..

We've waited a long time for this.

Dave said, "Took a year to plan. And what..(look at watch) 2 hours to complete.. <grin>"

I feel like I just got a new toy.. that isn't mine, and I'm so happy I don't mind sharing it.

Thanks Dave
Windependant= Wind Dependent, Dependant of the wind(like in taxes)
Windy Pendant, bottom of my kite necklace(held from above)
And dependant on winning the tug of war with my kite.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I say 3 aren't too many if it can be done, Kelp is down too often but is more indicative of what's coming, airport shows for Pat Bay, i want it ALL :twisted: :lol: 8)
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

All 3 would work for me ... 8)
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Sorry, 3 is too many for the camera to download. That's why I asked the question :wink:

I'm almost done adding the info to the site. Here's the places you can find the weather station data:

Latest Reports - 10 minute updates.

Detailed WS info - 5 minute updates.

Real time WS info - 4 second updates.

IV webcam - 20sec webcam updates, 5 minute IV weather updates.

IV weather station archive - historical data, updates every 3hrs.
JL

Post by JL »

Sounds great ... Thanks again Dave ... 8)
Thermals are good.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

nice work on the weather station
all that data is awsome!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

FYI I reduced the readings on the Island View beach weather station by 10%, since some people were mentioning that it was reading high compared to the wind on the water. It's on a bit of an incline from the beach and it's more than 10m above the water so it could be reading high. Let me know if it seems more accurate now (20 knots will now be 18 ).

I still have to fix the air temperature gauge (it's stuck on 5.1C) which means climbing up there to remove a part and then sending it in to be repaired. Hopefully I'll do it this month...
Last edited by bwd on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy Beach

mercury rising at IV

Post by Sandy Beach »

Funny, there's been a few times windsurf247 was going to go w/sing at IV this winter, but didn't because of that cold temp reading (his drysuit leaks). He wondered why it was always the same temp every day. Great to know it's just stuck at 5.1C.

Dave, how do you keep on top of all of the various BWD-sponsored weather stations. Thank-you. You rock! (and climb) :D
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

thanks Dave for taking care of the big and little things 8) hope to see you sometime this weekend [smilie=drinkofbeer.gif] IV tomorrow again around windy :twisted:
Very cool model vs actual superimposing data, dood :!:
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks Dave ... It's waaaay windier @ I.V. now ... You should have made the change months ago ... I like the model overlay as well !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
WindePendanT

Post by WindePendanT »

I have officially volunteered to take care of the IV WS, since I know the owner anyway.
I stopped by there today, but no one was home.
Now I'm glad because I just read that it's not just a restart, but a part has to come off. :oops:

So unless there's warranty type issues.. I will do my best to keep IV station running smoothly.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thank you WindePendanT, much appreciated. Having people that can call and visit to reboot equipment will help spread the workload out and make this a better community website. Thanks to all of the helpers out there!

An update on Island View webcam and weather station. On Sunday I visited the webcam to clean it and adjust the angle. It's mounted in a tree and when I went to adjust it, it pulled away from the rotten part of the tree. So luckily I got to it in time before it fell down. Also the outdoor enclosure was very corroded and ready to leak. So I replaced it with a new heavy duty enclosure. The Gordons, CB, Pipers and CowBay enclosures will also have to be replaced soon too. Anything near the salt water doesn't last long.

I also went to the IV weather station at the beach and took out the bad temperature sensor to get the part number. The new one is on the way and should be here in 2 weeks.

This is just an update, no need to comment. Luckily I kind of like doing this stuff. Here are some pics:

Island View webcam in the tree:

I love ladders:

Island View webcam view:

Island View weather station, hoping the ladder holds:

And I did all this without messing up my hair.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

awesome Dave...and i don't mind heights, ladders, pls give me a call next time out. my days are pretty flexible and i enjoy the views.....plus i don't have much hair left to mess up :D :?