New San Pareil Webcam

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

New San Pareil Webcam

Post by bwd »

No secret, but it's finally official...we have a new webcam: The San Pareil Webcam in Parksville:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=12

Here's an updated zoomable map showing all of the webcam locations:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=0&option=1

This is a great sailing spot with warm water, nice waves and a sandy beach. Hopefully the webcam will be helpful here. This is the spot for NW winds and it looks interesting for SE too. The local sailors can give more info.

Huge thanks go out to Ray Vanderbyl who found the perfect location (right next to the launch) and spent so much time getting the camera going. Thanks of course to the webcam host Lynda V. Thanks also to those who helped in the install: RDood, Winddoctor, Wingnut, Kus and Jellyfish.

We had lots of trouble trying to get the webcam going and I made another trip up there yesterday with a new router. Hopefully that fixes it but there still may be some issues. Each webcam takes a lot of effort from beginning to end, and this one was extra time consuming. But it's all worth it. We should all be thankful that we have these amazing views at these locations. Don't forget to send thank you's to the hosts:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14081

Last edited by bwd on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
GWIND

Holy warm hands

Post by GWIND »

Looks like a government job, one up the tree, and three foremens on the ground keeping their nose picking finger warm.

PS- Those gentlemen look like they just buried a mouse.
Last edited by GWIND on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Can't be, they are missing their leaning sticks.. errr, shovels.

Thanks guys! What seasons will this spot be most useful? NW is summer in that part of the world?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
GWIND

Seasons

Post by GWIND »

Anytime there is a switch to NW or N winds there can be a good session at SP. That can happen at any time. Oh bring on those winter northerlies
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

winter northerlies BRRRRRR!
like a duck to water
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

May through August, a SE wind will blow stronger at San Pareil than at Columbia Beach. Some kind of venturi effect around Rathtrevor maybe. It's a superb kiting launch at low tides below 2 metres for the sand launch, with very small surf on the inside. We get a couple of 20 knot days a month during summer.

The NW "season" I'd say is earlier Spring and maybe the odd chance in the Fall. Look for a stronger NW forecast since it needs a lot to fill in, and tends to be fleeting. The current inside is strong on a NW.

Myself, I have kited here around 2 to 3 times more often on SE sessions than NW sessions.
Signature Block.