Wild West Watersports coming soon to Port Alberni

What's new on the website
Sandy Beach

Wild West Watersports coming soon to Port Alberni

Post by Sandy Beach »

Rob, Matt and Sandra are excited to announce a brand new wind/watersports venture on the Port Alberni waterfront this summer.

Wild West Watersports will be a day use park that will offer access to kiteboarding, windsurfing and sailing, windsurfing and kiteboarding lessons, supply rental gear of stand up paddle boards and kayaks and be a general launch site for wind and watersports users. Thanks to BigWaveDave there will be a webcam and windsensor on the site to provide wind and weather reports.

On site facilities will include showers, change rooms, washrooms, parking and rigging areas. Future considerations for the site will include hot tub/sauna, beach volleyball, massage service, childcare and food vending.

Port Alberni's consistent, thermal winds and warm summer temperatures create an inviting playground for wind and watersports enthusiasts. The town is a hub for all sorts of local outdoor adventures including mountain biking, hiking, kayaking and world class wakeboarding at Sproat Lake. It is also just a short drive to other popular destinations such as Tofino, Bamfield, Parksville and Nitinat.

Located in the beautiful Alberni Valley on Vancouver Island, the town of Port Alberni has a wide array of urban amenities. Pubs, coffee shops, internet cafes, local markets, retail stores, restaurants, motels, campgrounds, houseboats, cottages and hostels, there is bound to be something for everyone.

We are looking forward to the many diverse opportunities and events that this town can support. The waterfront at Port Alberni is a natural amphitheatre for water based activities and will be the perfect venue for a wide array of windsurfing and kiting events.

Please come help us utilize Port Alberni's most untapped resource this summer....the wind!

http://www.wildwestwatersports.com/

Since this is the first season at this new spot, there's plenty of details to work out. We'll keep everyone posted through BWD.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
eastside

Post by eastside »

Sounds Great :!:
Windsurfish

W3 Park

Post by Windsurfish »

Fantastic! :D :D :D
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

All the best; have to try it as an alternate to the Nitinat suspension-destroying road! Might just take another kiting lesson or two here as well. Hmmm, hotter than Nitinat, but will the water will be colder?
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Amazing!!! I can feel the stoke a brewing! Congrats all you guys! This is an awesome venture.
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
duckbill

alberni

Post by duckbill »

hey mf4, the water at the quay in the summer is warm enough to wear a shorty, its warm like soup.
like a duck to water
duckbill

awp

Post by duckbill »

very exciting, looking forward to my summer jaunts to port alberni
like a duck to water
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

this sounds like a great venture, wish you luck. What are the camping options close by?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

8) Way to go, that sounds like a great adventure. It looks like a sweet location. I'm looking forward to checking it out this summer.
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Someone had to get all over that....and I cannot think of a nicer group of people :!: to introduce folks to windsports. Good luck!

I hope you get more than moral support from all of us on this site to actually make a go of it financially. I plan to check things out and help you pay some bills with my small contribution and also help build the place up a bit :idea: this summer.

The city better get behind this 100% with making access readily available to support and keep attracting this type of business for the benefit of their community, it's in my view their only hope of seeing daylight again after the forestry demise! New beginnings are difficult and I hope they recognize that 8)

Yes, where to camp or motel/hotel it is probably going to be the #1 question....and don't say China Creek :wink:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I'm only going if there's a sandy beach.

Good luck, Sandra and Rob! Looking forward to seeing the new venture unfold.
Poultry in motion
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Port Alberni

Post by Bobson »

Sounds GREAT!! This is a huge step forward for windsports on the island. If there is anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help with whatever.......except the child minding..HA-HA! :lol:
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni, Wild West Watersports

Post by Sandy Beach »

Thanks for all of the positive comments! We're getting new information daily and we'll keep you posted. We appreciate all of the offers for help.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

WOW! Nice website! You guys are finally out of the closet! I can't wait to sail up there. The wind stats look great for that body of water. :D
curses - foiled again!
Sandy Beach

Port Alberni, Wild West Watersports: accomodation options

Post by Sandy Beach »

Fortunately, Port Alberni is the gateway to the west coast and an urban centre that has an infrastructure that can support tourists, travellers and adventure seekers of all kinds.

Campgrounds, motels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, lodges, hotels and RV parks, there's something for everyone:
http://www.albernivalleytourism.com/accommodations

BC Parks is now taking reservations for summer camping
https://secure.camis.com/Discovercampin ... oastRegion

China Creek is a campground that many windsurfers have stayed in the past since it is located on the Alberni inlet and in the summer, gets those strong, consistent, thermal winds
http://www.portalberniportauthority.ca/en/node/13

Also, the Wild West Watersports site is close to Nitinat for a daytrip
http://www.coastalbc.com/wind/index.htm

www.wildwestwatersports.com

See you this summer!