IV Webcam update + help needed

What's new on the website
bwd
Developer
Developer

IV Webcam update + help needed

Post by bwd »

Hello all:

The Island View beach webcam needs a new home and I don't want to find one. So if anyone wants it back please talk to some house owners on the hill.

Also, I have 2 spare webcams that could go to new spots, but you would need to find a suitable waterfront house/business.

Possible locations:

- looking over Esquimalt (outside of the lagoon)
- Cordova Bay area, Agate Beach
- Swan Lake

This is why sailing logs are important. If you want the current webcams to stay where they are or new ones, then log your sessions, otherwise you may lose the webcam since I'll assume nobody sails there:
http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailinglog_stats.php
Last edited by bwd on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Maybe this post needs to go on Facebook :roll:

I don’t sail IV much anymore since I moved but I sure liked having the cam there.....oh well Dave, no sailing logs so I guess you can remove it...til the SE start up again and all those silent folks become vocal about their lost privilege...

As for Cordova Bay, I know some Kiter chick that has a brand new home on Agate Lane....bet there are a few windows facing the ocean...
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

Good thinking about the Kiter chick in the new Agate lane home :idea: I'm still hoping someone steps up for the Is. view cam :P It would be nice to resurrect the weather station as well 8)
Thermals are good.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

I've drafted letters for this before... I can try to organize a time to door knock or letter drop this weekend perhaps..

pm some details of the instruments and requirements... maybe a little contract/agreement for them to sign?

cheers
abetanzo

Island View Cam

Post by abetanzo »

I wanted to ask if there are any updates to the Island View cam?

I'm happy to help where I can. I could draft letters and drop them but need some details to provide in the letter.

I don't think the CRD parks would support a cam and it would be a major project to undertake getting a cam at the boat ramp for example.

Let's get a game plan going and raise some support!!
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Abetanzos cam

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

All in favour of Abetanzo getting us an IV cam say I!
I!
When will you have it done?
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

not many people interested it seems... guess we go back to guessing if it's windy!? OSR posts?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Yeah it's hard to get motivated to keep things working when there seems to be very little interest. Sailing logs show that only a few people go to IV anymore anyway...
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

I am interested in helping as far as going door to door and asking people if they would be willing to share there view.. I'm just not sure if this has been done yet and if so when and what areas have said no already , or the specific details involved with hosting as I'm sure each camera has its own technical needs and deal with the host. if you could share some of this info with me on this thread or pm, or send me some kind of flyer I could print it off etc. and at least not sound like a washed up kitesurfer sputtering out tales of rad slashes in the shore break!
Also: ideally it would be best if there was someone else with me , preferably someone who can't run as fast in case a vicious guard dog is encountered
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

We have two potential sites now for the IV webcam. Once I figure out if one will work, and get the camera ready, I'll probably need help with the install. I will let you know ...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Visited Ken & Olga yesterday, our Deep Bay cam gracious hosts....no cost, front row viewing, caring and ex-wind people, welcoming and love seeing folks on the water .....I will drop off a bottle of wine at (Also CB to Paul and) Deep Bay soon....point was they like having the cam and get positive feedback and both SAR and charters/fishermen use it regularly....local notoriety .... :) now if only direct beneficiaries would send a small donation as users that would be over the top :D
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
themorb

Post by themorb »

Nothing like a nice SE to motivate :D Was good times on Saturday!
JL

Post by JL »

I.V. may be worthy in the E. wind wed. :P The a.m. high tide makes agate dodgy for kite launching.
Thermals are good.
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

I can help with the IV cam install as long as it’s not windy...😂
Windjunky

Post by Windjunky »

I am willing to help with any installs in victoria. I will also talk to pub in cordova bay what is needed just power and internet connection I guess. I will also try to start logging I had no idea.