Giles Thorp RIP

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Giles Thorp RIP

Post by KUS »

I’m met Giles as a windsurfer and later saw him become an avid kite boarder both at the Nat lake and Kook & Gordon’s Beach. I was invited to his home and felt the warmth of family and friends, his obvious devotion.
What I came to know about Giles was that there wasn’t really ever a bad day at the beach. He was a very quiet and gentle but also positive, welcoming individual. He was happy to learn that I was trying to kite as well and he was stoked about his new sport after many years of windsurfing.
Last I met up with him he was entering yet another experimental drug trial and had good hopes of beating his foe. A new set of booties to ensure he trampled all over it!!

Jellyfish’s and my joint condolences to Winnie and his young son. We will miss seeing Giles out there! Be strong Winnie, we are thinking of you! I’m sorry to have to miss his memorial!

Be in the wind and Rest In Peace, my friend!
Last edited by KUS on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
JL

Post by JL »

We will miss Giles & his wonderful parties. Jim & Uta :? Gwind: Damn that’s upsetting. RIP Giles. - Sunday October 06, 8:34AM
Winger: Sorry..3:30pm with reception to follow for Giles celebration of life - Sunday October 06, 6:35AM
Voodmon: What time is the service? Me thinks/thought winger was senor wingate , however I digress, I actually worked on Giles house/ houses and worked on his wine room, my condolences to Winnie and the kids. - Saturday October 05, 9:35PM
Kus: Thx Dave, it is upsetting news, I made a in memory post but couldn’t stick it within the wiki, cheers to you Giles! - Saturday October 05, 8:54PM
Bones: anyone know what time the service is at ?? - Saturday October 05, 8:24PM
Bones: thanks Don, didn't even know he had cancer. Another one of the old guard gone. Maybe see you tomorrow - Saturday October 05, 8:19PM
Bwd: That is very sad news. Thank you for letting the wind community know Winger. - Saturday October 05, 1:52PM
Sandy Beach: This is so sad. Winger, thanks for the message to let us know. I remember Giles as such a friendly and welcoming person. Condolences to his family and close friends. - Saturday October 05, 12:54PM
Winger: Update on Windsurfing Family: Giles Thorpe has passed away from cancer. Celebration of life is tomorrow Sunday Oct 6th at St Banabas Church 1525 Begbie St in Victoria. Really nice guy that frequented Nitnat for years windsurfing and then kite boarding. - Saturday October 05, 12:18PM
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Giles
Attachments
giles.PNG
giles.PNG (48.3 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
Thermals are good.
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

I attended the memorial for Giles this afternoon. It was standing room only, clearly he was greatly admired and loved. I only met Giles in 2016 when we shared an evening of lively conversation at Nitinat and I was glad to call him a friend. I last saw him in the spring when I went to his house to pick up my new Atan booties. He also got a pair of new booties that day and it makes me sad that he likely never got to use them :-(

I lift a glass of wine for him tonight!
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

We were lucky enough to have Giles come stay with us in Mexico last year. Really glad we got to spend some time with him. He was very open about his cancer and seemed like he was ready for what was coming. A sad loss for the community.
My condolences to Winnie and Avery.
AC

Post by AC »

R.I.P. Giles