GPS Tracks

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

GPS Tracks

Post by tweezer »

I thought I'd post some info about what I use for recording and uploading GPS Tracks using Dave's new BWD.ca features!
I use my Apple Watch series 5 to record my tracks. I've used both Strava and Waterspeed apps.
Waterspeed is more water activity minded and more stats are built in for speeds. It has some limitations in the free version in terms of stats, but as I recall you can still record and upload tracks in the free version.
The watch version of the apps sync to your phone and in Strava's case it syncs online pretty reliably with an option to do a manual sync.
Waterspeed also syncs from your watch to your phone automatically. (no web app that I'm aware of - just a website: https://www.waterspeedapp.com/)
Steps to sync Waterspeed to BWD.ca:
  1. On your watch simply set your activity, and start the session
  2. sail your guts out
  3. stop the session recording
  4. check your phone for the session to sync
  5. open your Diary and select the session
    1. You can edit the track to trim out the drive home when you forget to stop the session
    2. sometimes it also helps to trim out your shore activities because the GPS signal can get a little spikey near the trees.
  6. Use the up arrow button to export the track - I usually use GPX - Strava, Relive format - and I save it to a file on my phone
  7. Create your BWD sailing log
  8. log into bwd.ca on your phone and create a new track, select "I have a track", choose file, and browse to the saved file (How to submit a GPS Track)
  9. save and submit
The GPS track features in bwd.ca will filter out spikes pretty well and give you all your speed stats!
If you already entered your sailing log, the track will automatically match up with the same day sailing log.
For multi-session days, Dave posted some instructions, but the GPS track in edit mode has a "Details" tab where you can manually type in the sailing log session ID.
j_dog

Re: GPS Tracks

Post by j_dog »

Thanks for the great write up, followed your instructions and it worked perfectly! \:D/
I ended up using the waterspeed app on my phone that I put into a water proof case and tucked into my wetsuit, I guess the next step in getting a watch.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Great to see people posting tracks! Sometimes the stats don't work the first time. If you don't see any stats after you upload your track file, go the the track again and hit Edit -> Save and this will redo them.
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

I am gonna try this out on my next session. Thanks Mark for the write up.
themorb

Post by themorb »

Although cool, I have been seeing some fairly unimaginative tracks being uploaded... "mowing the lawn" I believe is the phrase... I have ordered a waterproof phone case and will be participating soon, and therefore propose an ongoing challenge to produce creative or artistic tracks :lol:

https://www.newsweek.com/aircraft-phall ... ts-1188424
davey_k
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by davey_k »

I think Bezos has us all beat.
Attachments
bezos-rocket.jpg
bezos-rocket.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 6840 times
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

themorb

Post by themorb »

Question for the guys who tuck their phone in their wetsuit........ came in tonight and my iPhone had locked me out for 15 minutes due to too many incorrect PINs from the touch screen picking up my wet wetsuit. Any tips to avoid this?
j_dog

Post by j_dog »

Actually now that I have switched to my other wetsuit I am getting the same issue..or I am crashing more lol.
I have a larger iPhone case that I am going to be using so that my work out better. Once I save up enough pennies I will eventually be upgrading to a smart watch.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

themorb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:11 pm Question for the guys who tuck their phone in their wetsuit........ came in tonight and my iPhone had locked me out for 15 minutes due to too many incorrect PINs from the touch screen picking up my wet wetsuit. Any tips to avoid this?
Not sure if this helps, but you can enable Guided Access and disable the touch screen temporarily:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-t ... id-iphone/

So far I think J_dog and Juandasooka are the leaders in the most interesting tracks so far =D>
themorb

Post by themorb »

Thanks I was meaning to reply to my own post — tried guided access and it works great!
bbthelooper

Post by bbthelooper »

I'm trying to post my first GPS track using an android tablet. The required field activity will not allow me to select anything from the drop down menu. I therefore cannot submit my entry. Help.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hmmm that’s a tough one since I don’t have an Android I can test it on. Can you post a screenshot? Can you try it on a phone or desktop?
Thanks
Dave
bbthelooper

Post by bbthelooper »

I need to use the web version of garmin connect. It will not work on my phone and I don't have my laptop with me.
I can't select a category from the drop down menu
Attachments
Screenshot_20211215-170234_Chrome.jpg
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Just checked on my Chromebook running Chrome OS Version 94.0.4606.124 (Official Build) (64-bit). I can select the categories.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);6'6 BP(116lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu