CB etiquette

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

CB etiquette

Post by winddoctor »

With regards to CB windsurfer/kiting etiquette, one suggestion is for the windsurfer/kiter who is NOT on a wave and coming towards the beach to give way to the windsurfer/kiter who is clearly looking to jump. The windsurfer/kiter who is headed out with no option to jump should give way to the windsurfer/kiter who is looking to ride a wave. Wave rides take priority over jumping usually. Intentional and/or repeated cock blocking in the above scenarios could be dealt with by posting a photo of the week of the offending cock blocker (CBOTW) . Deep shame and sadness will be felt by the offender, and the undesired behaviour will be trained out like a puppy repeatedly peeing on your favourite shoes. The starboard/port right of way rules are important to follow, but discretion comes into play in the waves. Anticipating and moving a little upwind or downwind for another sailor to enjoy a jump or wave ride creates good vibes, harmony, and much loving- kindness, instead of grinding teeth and stink-eye. Namaste, wind freaks.
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I already ranted, I feel much better now, whew that was stewing since yesterday :roll:

All's happy again now ....really :!: hope with others as well. I was maybe a little vocal :oops: I know, very unusual for me :wink:

Good points WDoc and everyone screws up on occasion or pushes the envelope of the snaking boundaries or perhaps doesn't understand enough about the other's intent/sport to realize their impact, let's hope with not much negative side effects except some short-lived grumblings when it happens :arrow: as we find out some areas are very much not a happy co-existence where we have succeeded repeatedly thru this amazing meeting place site to wipe things clean
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Also - please stop feeding the damn sea lions, now every time they see a kite or sail they think we all have a pocket full of herring sausages. Not cool.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Fluffy

Wave etiquette

Post by Fluffy »

THANKYOU Kus for your rant and Wind doc for your "rules"! There are some folks here in La Ventana" land who could learn from them. Could I have your permission to post them on "Ventana View"? Cheers you guys will be home to the chilly north soon brrrrrr.
morewind

Re: CB etiquette

Post by morewind »

winddoctor wrote:With regards to CB windsurfer/kiting etiquette, one suggestion is for the windsurfer/kiter who is NOT on a wave and coming towards the beach to give way to the windsurfer/kiter who is clearly looking to jump.
I like this guideline. One thing to keep in mind when you are coming towards the beach is that jumpers will typically want to be on the downwind side of you when jumping. Esp when they are bearing off to do a loop. For a SE wind at CB this means that the person jumping will typically want to be on your right.

I'll pitch in another thought: If you a standing in the shallows waiting to go out, time your launch so that you don't interfere with someone approaching the beach, looking to jibe or ride a wave.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

I like WDocs guidelines. Good to know about the downwind jumpers from Morewind (should have realized that already but...) and I've just got to the skill level where I can think about the oncoming sailor and wave riding potential, not just avoiding their inside jibe. Before it was get control of the board and sail and jump aboard ASAP before something got knocked out of line again!! One thing I have tried to do is when going out near the little point, if I can't stay upwind of it and someone is coming in, rather than take the whitewater head-on, I've borne way off downwind to cross the sets as quickly as possible to stay out of any sailors way that might get a ride.

I have a question about right-of-way on waves at CB. Yesterday quite a few outgoing people jibed right above me as I was coming in. Generally that would land them on the wave behind me at the break (where they risk having to avoid a speed bump!) but a couple of times we ended up on the same wave. Given we aren't on predictable swells that can be ridden outside and that have a defined peak to be closer to, I'm presuming that the downwind sailor has RoW in this situation - following general nautical avoidance rules. Any comment on this?
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

more force 4 wrote:
I have a question about right-of-way on waves at CB. Yesterday quite a few outgoing people jibed right above me as I was coming in. Generally that would land them on the wave behind me at the break (where they risk having to avoid a speed bump!) but a couple of times we ended up on the same wave. Given we aren't on predictable swells that can be ridden outside and that have a defined peak to be closer to, I'm presuming that the downwind sailor has RoW in this situation - following general nautical avoidance rules. Any comment on this?
IMO, you have ROW in that situation and the other sailor should stay clear. If, however, you don't intend to ride the wave, you can wave the other sailor on to it. Coming up and over the back of someone else's wave, dropping in on them, and bottom turning around them before they can start their turn is cheeky (at best) and despicable, dangerous, and just more cock-blockery at worst. At a place like CB where a good "wave" doesn't appear very often, there is a tendency for mini feeding frenzies to break out when it is busy and all decorum disappears (fat kids on a lone doughnut scenario). Been there, had the delicious crumbs on my face to show for it. Not proud of it. I do try to anticipate other's actions as much as possible. If I see Paul or Ozy storming out and there is even a mini ramp ahead, I know to give them room to jump or loop, and I always appreciate the same. Besides, it's the best seat in the house if you position yourself correctly to watch these guys rotate over your head!

It would be great to hear from the kiters at CB how they view the comments in this thread and read what they might add. Afterall, we have distinct ways we approach the break at CB and there is often opportunity for misjudging the intent or actions of the other sport. Generally people in both WSng and KBng at CB seem to be pretty heads up, but new sailors/riders should understand the basic rules to avoid bad vibes/mad dogging :lol:
Poultry in motion
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I think it's pretty funny only theWSers are weighing in on this :lol: (ooops, simult post) which gives more credence to the notion that Kiteboarders in general don't really think about this much.... :? Hope I'm wrong :?
morewind wrote:If you are standing in the shallows waiting to go out, time your launch so that you don't interfere with someone approaching the beach, looking to jibe or ride a wave
add to that "if you came into the beach with your kite/windsurfer, gybed, and are ready to go out again"...if in doubt bear way off down the beach where all the waveriders exit (and don't point right across the whole break) and you will likely avoid any incoming riders.
If you are just going back and forth like a drone, do it (preferably downwind) away from the break/jump area. There is lots of beach! Taking mega kite boosts tends to put riders at the mercy of the gusts so leaving lots of empty landing/crashing space is a must, better to hit these more outside and downwind too, away from traffic.
more force 4 wrote:outgoing people jibed right above me as I was coming in. Generally that would land them on the wave behind me at the break (where they risk having to avoid a speed bump!) but a couple of times we ended up on the same wave. ...I'm presuming that the downwind sailor has RoW in this situation
Yes, except if you are slogging or "wave shopping" around you may be overtaken :idea:

Add to this "Wave Shopping". I tend to do this as others as well, looking for the best one, slowing and slogging to wait for it cuz there is nothing but glass in front of you and you can see the macker coming....but even tho you have the right of way it seems, you will have to accept your timing and the crappier wave if someone is coming up behind/above you.... Or get used to sharing if they let you :twisted: (this includes losing the wave you are on and you suck, give way) They clearly had better timing than you...tough noogies, get better! :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!

Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Not sure if I ever made someone angry due to not respecting wave etiquette but if I did it was unintentional so please accept my apologies for it. (kiter or WS) CB/Cook/Gord

I do not ride wave and I only kite for fun, what gives me that fun feeling is jumping so skipping waves/going downwind to someone riding a wave doesnt bother me.

Once again if I did it it was probably due to:

- Lacking experience in judging when the wave riding end up/start (getting better at it now)

- Runaway to shore after landing into a herd of sealion, and they barking at me. (didnt happen while someone was riding a wave yet, but if it does sorry in advance!!!)

Have a good wave riding experience all !!!
BA

Post by BA »

Yep, you're wrong Kus...lurking and learning.
Great thread!
As a rookie in waves it's all good info. I have to admit I tend to think more about Starboard rules than what the oncoming sailors are looking to do. I try to stay out of the main break for the most part to avoid getting worked...plenty of waves upwind or downwind, but when I do venture in I'll remember to head downwind on exit to avoid "cutting across the whole break".
Its also not always easy to read what someone is going to do...TOW with familiar faces helps.
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

an easy motto to keep on track during hectic session:
"if helmet is yellow, yield to that fellow"
:lol:
sail safe everyone.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Sorry guys I wont do it again.I was hungover that day.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

winddoctor wrote:Coming up and over the back of someone else's wave, dropping in on them, and bottom turning around them before they can start their turn...
Cheese boobs was pulling this move all week at Pistol. So annoying.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

For those who like pictures

Post by KUS »

BA wrote:Yep, you're wrong Kus...lurking and learning.
Ok, I'm glad. 8) How's about this :?: pls excuse my limited e skillset.

This picture really says it all:
Attachments
CB wave map small file.jpg
CB wave map small file.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 22410 times
Last edited by KUS on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

GWIND

Wow

Post by GWIND »

Which arrow points to Kansas Toto ? :wink:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson