Latest in Wetsuits - what to buy?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

HiyoSilver: We (Kiters/windsurfers) use the same suits as surfers. Try on suits in local shops until you find one that fits well. Make sure it's easy to get out of as well :!: 20 years ago we called sparton dry suits body bags. Technology has come a long way (as long as you remember to zip up): https://store.oceanrodeo.com/c/212. If your frugal check rubber here: http://www.coastalbc.com/ads/surf.htm & here: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifieds ... anted_ind=
Thermals are good.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Thanks JL! I had no idea there were so many used suits for sale! I might give that a try.. (Harder to shop for the right fit but easier on the wallet ;) Maybe I'll get lucky..)
JL

Post by JL »

Best of luck :P
Thermals are good.
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

So after trying on many suits and much research I think only Mystic or Promotion MT suit will fit me - being taller than most skinny guys I guess... Most MT on the island; Xcel, Rip Curl are too short for me still and O'Neill a little wide in the chest...
So I narrowed it down to the Mystic Majestic (http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/ ... eur_24375e) and the Promotion Storm (http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-5-3-stor ... -blue-h02/)
Has any of you any experience with either?
(I know windsurfish had good experience with Promotion - he recommended them to me!)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

HiyoSilver wrote:(I know windsurfish had good experience with Promotion - he recommended them to me!)
Promotion is off my list...admittedly not many possibilities remain, I am challenged to find a new one myself.... inferior rubber (too soft) with poor warranty response to tears :evil: also sizing charts are tailored to the Chinese percentile. They are warm though! Tough to get on/off which is big for me. That is the reason I didn't go with an ION suit either, using up half the energy tank just to work the suit on/off :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddude

Post by winddude »

And buy local it'll end up being cheaper not only initially, but long run for repairs. I learned the hard way and spent an extra $50+ bucks on duties and shipping. The quicksilver suit I bought has some good stretch, and keeps me warm for a 5/4/3.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
frank

Post by frank »

does anyone have feedbacks about the Patagonia?
is it worth the price!?
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

frank wrote:does anyone have feedbacks about the Patagonia?
is it worth the price!?
I hear they are great. I have a set of Patagonia gloves, excellent quality. For the suits, only negative I've heard is that the wool inside can stiffen up. That may have been an earlier version though.

But are they twice as good to justify the price? I think the market says no...I see very few out there, still nearly all xcel and ripcurl and quiksilver. Can get an xcel infiniti for under $300 if you are good online shopper....which is about half the price of a hotline 5mm 10 years ago and easily twice as good. 8)
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

juandesooka wrote:still nearly all xcel and ripcurl and quiksilver.
... don't forget O'neil.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

nanmoo wrote:
juandesooka wrote:still nearly all xcel and ripcurl and quiksilver.
... don't forget O'neil.
Ya I think O'Neil are worth checking out. This is the suit I have

http://www.bigwinds.com/wind/category/22/product/3041

and after my hour long swim the other day I can say that it keeps me very warm. :D
It's not cheap but after talking to a few dealers everyone said they have the best costumer service. Buy it in the states and it's even better. My sailing buddy Alton got the same one as a warranty exchange from his old O'Neil. Bigwinds just gave him a brand new suit! He was the one who recommend it to me. The front entry is a little tricky at first but after about 3 or 4 sessions it was no problem. The neoprene on the 2014 is very stretchy. I tried a 2013 on in Vancouver and it was way harder to get in and out of. The suit I replaced was the Promotion Inversion Dry Suit which is also an excellent suit but didn't last long. The thing I like about the O'Neil is the hood really keeps out the cold water and no zipper in the back is comfy and also helps keep out the water. The thing I miss about the Promotion is the upper body of the suit is not as restricting as a normal wetsuit and the windskin as they call it does keep the chill off but mostly notable when your on the beach waiting around and not so much when actually sailing.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Is this all still relevant for wetsuit brands? Xcel, Ripcurl?
My 5/4 Ion from about 6 months back is on track for a 6 month lifespan... =D>
Not really up for stitching much.
themorb

Post by themorb »

I have a pair of split-toe Hotline booties which are probably close to 10 years old and are still great. I got Xcel booties without a split toe to wear over my drysuit socks, and the sole is almost worn through and the strap ripped with UV damage, in 1 year. I think the only Hotline dealer is in Tofino so I should really pick up some non-split-toe booties next time I am up there. I have also worn through a pair of Xcel gloves in about 6 months, so I might try a different brand next fall... But Xcel suits seem great. Just not sure about their booties and gloves... I am guessing they optimize for "board feel" not "sole durability."
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I tell you this: I'm not buying Promotion again. Really comfortable but soooooo fragile. Too bad since they really are warm.
I've got a +10 year old Quicksilver that has held up much better.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

grantmac wrote:I tell you this: I'm not buying Promotion again. Really comfortable but soooooo fragile. Too bad since they really are warm.
I've got a +10 year old Quicksilver that has held up much better.
i second that...Just putting it on I would tear pieces out of it, lovely and compfy but ...
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Not quite THAT bad, but brush a fin and its sliced.