Tahiti, French Polynesia, south Pacific stuff

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
frank

Tahiti, French Polynesia, south Pacific stuff

Post by frank »

south pacific is on fire,big wave and wind season is on, opening day was May9th for Tahiti & Teahupoo...and as been big since May 9th...!!!
yesterday:
teahupoo... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx1qMi9DeGu ... g9axy4fj9t

Taapuna...a few meters from my boat!....
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx1Po7nAe4P ... 706tw6g506

my "season" is on hold for a little while!!!! foiling in the lagoon for now!!! or sailing on east facing shore!!!

Nana!
"I stand strong in da babylon...i'm the captain of my soul" Burning Spear
frank

Post by frank »

yesterday, with a 2.5m forecast...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSPOdSXQO7o

and it ain't over yet, with a strong Mara'amu/SE kermadec flow forecast, starting now and lasting for next week...
https://www.windguru.cz/208786

in 3 years the wave forecast as never gone up to over 4m...!!??at 2.5m+ it's tow-in conditions.... wave carnage on it's way....with 30+knts.

indeed Tahiti is also a windy place...with coastal acceleration very similar to Maui....15-20knts forecast usually yield a +/- 60km/h coastal acceleration...actually the island shape is very similar to Maui!!
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

Whoa that looks like a mental forecast!! Hopefully
We
Get to see some kiting footage from that!
frank

Post by frank »

@kus...why come back...localism here means, when you show up at the spot you have to shaka, foreheadhug, and say "ia orana" to eveyrone, then you're a friend the party begin for all.

at Taapuna every day from16pm to sunset, on the spot and on the same wave yu'll find...a va'aV6 down to V1 on the shoulder, then a few racesup catching a wave after training or a sup(usually only me!), and/or surfer bodyboarder wayin the pocket...everyone sharing, charging & smiling, amazing waterman culture here, better than Hawaii! and Hey just like Raimana in Teahupoo, everywhere yu have local friends theyusually give me the cue...go papy go...!!! only exception, is when mainland French shows up at taapuna or haapiti!!!

but I won't reveal any other spot elsewhere from Tahiti or moorea, the collegues! don't like it, they fear everyone will show up with mainland crap.??!! but there're easy to find, there's lagoon everywhere and passes everywhere.!!??
a month ago, in the leeward islands (most populated after Tahiti-moorea), I was anchored between to passes distant about 1km from each other offering either a right and a left within 500m from boat,so I was doing an hour on the left then jetski to the right for another session while girlfriend windsurf in the lagoon. also we were towing in with foil, all that by ourself for two weeks!, then we had to visit others spot!!!

everyone's welcome...
Attachments
Pancho running away from the dreaded pit & explosion of Taapuna with three friends, Taps being one of the most crowded spot since next to Papeete !!!
Pancho running away from the dreaded pit & explosion of Taapuna with three friends, Taps being one of the most crowded spot since next to Papeete !!!
taapuna.JPG (61.13 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
ahd seal 102 in action @ haapiti<br />first day of a Maaramu wind  always get crowded with 4 buddies, like hookipa in maybe 1977!!!??
ahd seal 102 in action @ haapiti
first day of a Maaramu wind always get crowded with 4 buddies, like hookipa in maybe 1977!!!??
haapiti windsurf.JPG (615.86 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
haapiti pass, crowded day,5 friends! smooth pass going out watching the show, nice ride going in!
haapiti pass, crowded day,5 friends! smooth pass going out watching the show, nice ride going in!
Haapiti pass moorea.JPG (111 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
Haapiti anchorage, always solo there, kiting and windsurfing in the lagoon at max Maaramu/sw depression giving usually 20-35knts/3m swell, so you stay in lagoon!
Haapiti anchorage, always solo there, kiting and windsurfing in the lagoon at max Maaramu/sw depression giving usually 20-35knts/3m swell, so you stay in lagoon!
Haapiti surf spot-Moorea with Daybreak at anchor chasing Camille from New Caledonia.JPG (162.36 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
my home spot &amp;quot;in town&amp;quot; Marina Taina near Papeete, with Taapuna surf break few meters away in left background, Haapiti surf spot on Moorea in right background(@2hour sailing, 30min by powerboat)
my home spot &quot;in town&quot; Marina Taina near Papeete, with Taapuna surf break few meters away in left background, Haapiti surf spot on Moorea in right background(@2hour sailing, 30min by powerboat)
marina taina-taapuna surf break Tahiti.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 7234 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Awh man, forgot...that wave’s one of those backward ones :? :shock: looks way too warm there too :wink: staying here :D no corona forehead hugs here

seriously beautiful there, take those pix down :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
frank

Post by frank »

sorry man, you're the one who started that!!
I haven't showed off too much about it yet!!!???

and in Tahiti gets quite regular wind almost similar to Maui most people go at Motu Martin/Venus Point on eastside or Maraa pass and lagoon on west side ...there you get a crowd of maybe 20-30 kites on week-end, but huge playground.

no worries with coronacrap here, where out of knowwhere! and we drink Hinano
Attachments
hinano.jpg
hinano.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Frank, I feel as if I've seen this boat in Cadboro Bay a few years ago after a major refit?

was that you?
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Ya that does look similar to the Cadboro Bay one. Maybe a bit shorter though.
frank

Post by frank »

Ia orana,

I'm being tracked...!!!

it's a CheoyLee 43
possibly me depending when, from 2006 to summer 2012 I was there a few time in Cadboro but just short time, spending most summer around vanisle, then left summer 2012...I was, all of fall 2011, in Sydney at Yachttech redoing rigging on GMT composites mast with faux finish.and again a few short stop in Cadboro.
but there's another boat in Vanisle area with similar mast with aluminium painted faux finish to look like wood.that boat has a similar look to the cheoylee but forget brand/name of boat now!?

I'm always in major refit mode!!!!,,,again after 8 years everything needs to be redone, just redone engine, refrig, plumbing again...next to come electric, deckgrip, sails ,winch, rigging repairs etc..
.I'm broken too after c7-t5 fusion-t10 before setting sails, then t8-9 in Tobago, now twoweekago session of windsurf at motu Martin with a north swell l4-5 done... so got plenty of time to chat!?
kus we need to share some pills!!!
looks nice on picture sailing longterm, but reality is a lot of work!!??

most likely heading back to land within 24months, and just keep the boat for island scoping on holidays!!

Nana
s/v daybreak oceane
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

must've been you.. I was sailing a Tbird called Zig Zag blue and white hull around then!
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

No, the boat you're thinking of is there every year, even last year, all Summer long. Prob one of the residents' there. And, 50 foot plus. Similar rig and lines though.
Beautiful boat.
frank

Post by frank »

zig zag rings a bell, but there's also a zigzag here!! I get confuse with boat names, beach names, bay names!! but hey I never for get the sight of a boat and a face...maybe we we're neighbor at some point!!

thanks, now beautifull water of this week...most likely near Vairao or Taravao on west side of Tahiti..its been small for a while now...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9jxY9Hhawc ... ca0rvj0udo
frank

Post by frank »

frank

Post by frank »

north shore, when not windy is great, and even better when blowing...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9naVTSApFh ... jt4t4hgf66

there's also only a very few beach break in Tahiti..the 2 main one.Papara west coast and Papeeno area with many launch spot eastcoast.
papara can get "very crowdy" compare to reef break

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9pCueDhl6T ... a0lpgul21t
frank

Post by frank »

to all netflixer...Nuit de la Glisse/NDG Cinema , has their films available now on Netflix for a while...Magnetic, don't crack under pressure 1-2-3 etc

there's is some amazing footage of Polynesia, but also Norway!!!

for under the radar spot ,in polynesia , now that there's no more flights...and that I don't like secrets!

Marquesas Island:
Nuku Hiva island, Controller's bay, mellow sand point
Hiva Oa island, north shore/swell in Anaiapa Bay the most mellow right
Fatu Hiva island, Omoa, the most radical wave and windsurf spot for it's isolation, rock and cliffs...

Tuamotu Islands(among 75 others spots!!??):

Fakarava Atoll, south pass, windkitesurfable and the most beautifull diving spot in the world (watch on youtube" Le mystere du merou" or "700 requins dans la nuit")

Apataki Atoll, south pass, amazing windsurf and surf

Rangiroa Atoll, tiputa pass, amazing surf when the swells not too big...over 2 m you have an issue, here's what it looks like when 3-5m swell, had to motorsail thru that to get in, ... Skookumshuck style...
https://www.facebook.com/daybreakoceane ... 95091&vh=e

Tikehau Atoll, "mellow" left and right

Faaite Atoll, the most shallow wave in Polynesia, it's in Don't break under pressure movie!

Ahe Atoll ....etc....

Leeward Islands:

Huahine Island, has the best wave of all, like teahupoo but easy!!!(looks like Cabo Verde/Sal) and windkitesurfable
Famous Bali Hai, right, at christmas with 2 m north swell was amazing...
just just gotta make friend with Matauvau da big guy!? if you wanna surf it , he's used to be by himself!!?//...the two west passes offering left and right.

Raiatea Island, the three southwest pass, always empty left and rights

Tahiti:
Vairao on Tahiti Iti, left and right is always empty soul
Fenua Herere, passed the end of the road of teahupoo, has only boat access empty perfections...

and that just the pass playgrounds, plus all those amazing lagoons for flat water paradise.....

now is Maramu season starting,.... big.....

BrassMonkey, you now got the itinery!!!!!!