scha-wing

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
smartang

Post by smartang »

This kid is by far the best I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gZISDamHA
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Both the videos above are more what I am after!

But this one from Martin does show some impressive flat water dance moves.

https://vimeo.com/431712743?fbclid=IwAR ... 8lf-vR2G5c
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

That's just like you and me John ..no? Obviously you're the guy on the Ozone (who actually is a John - john heineken), I'm the lesser mortal chasing you around and getting knocked down :lol:

Check out the kiter at 4:45! Now that's a superman of sorts! I want to see that action from the kiters here!
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
Jfish

Post by Jfish »

Any local distributors?
Where are people buying the Wing Surfers (Wing only) from?
I'm pretty in to this idea given the number of light wind days at my local spot.

Specific size recommendations for 12-20 knots?

Thanks
smartang

Post by smartang »

Internet, shipped to your door in 2 days. No need to wait 6 months for pre-orders anymore.

Love my 6m Swing in about that range. I can get going in less than 10kn with some serious chin-up jumps, which as a bonus might be the best total body workout of any sport I've tried. But a 6 will pull pretty hard at 20 when trying to pinch upwind. If I could only have one wing it would be a 5m. Though I'm sold on winging so I'm glad I have the 6 and 4.2 to cover 10-20, and 20-35 respectively. Will probably throw in a 2.8m for nuking winter downwinders from SP to CB. I think most people who give winging an honest try (10 sessions +) will get hooked, so keep that in mind.

My current dilemma (1st world) is board size. Dedicated wing or something I can sup too? If dedicated wing then 90L or sinker? Bottom carry handle is a must. Sinker sounds great in the summer, but in the winter, or when caught inside, I want to be out of the water as quickly as possible. X-Mas weight + winter neoprene could easily add 40 lbs...
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I am an ozone dealer. I have 5 and 6m in stock and can get wings usually within 5 days for anyone interested.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

The small board/sinker guys seem to indicate that they are prone paddled easier than bigger boards.
Can't be any harder than towing in my windsurfing waveboards which I've done many times.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

grantmac wrote:The small board/sinker guys seem to indicate that they are prone paddled easier than bigger boards.
Can't be any harder than towing in my windsurfing waveboards which I've done many times.
Grant it must be way easier because the sail and spars always drag. I had no idea about the prone paddling until I saw a video of Robbie Naish's daughter paddling straight upwind to launch. Wing is out of the water clamped between the paddlers feet with bent knees (even that would be tiring after 10 minutes!) So no drag at all. The Naish mk1 wings had velcro for an emergency SUP paddle attachment but I guess they've figured this out since.

The ability to quickly paddle through a small bubble or get offshore in onshore conditions (like gettung to clear wind launching from a small cove) makes the wings even more versatile for venue than windsurfers and no comparison to kites.
smartang

Post by smartang »

I'm thinking more reset time after a wipeout.

Here's an expert winger taking 30 seconds to get going on a sinker in ideal conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GsAQWcMsCk

If there were waves breaking he would have been knocked off before being able to even get his wing in hand.
superdave
Contributor
Contributor

Post by superdave »

If anyone is looking for a bigger board, I'm posting my Naish Hover 135 foil SUP/ wing board. It's a 2019, used about a dozen times. $1200.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Janetfish I'm trying to PM you but they keep getting stuck in my outbox. You can email me
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

more force 4 wrote: Grant it must be way easier because the sail and spars always drag. I had no idea about the prone paddling until I saw a video of Robbie Naish's daughter paddling straight upwind to launch. Wing is out of the water clamped between the paddlers feet with bent knees (even that would be tiring after 10 minutes!) So no drag at all. The Naish mk1 wings had velcro for an emergency SUP paddle attachment but I guess they've figured this out since.

The ability to quickly paddle through a small bubble or get offshore in onshore conditions (like gettung to clear wind launching from a small cove) makes the wings even more versatile for venue than windsurfers and no comparison to kites.
This ability is one that I hadn't foreseen and admittedly it's got a lot going for it. You'd probably want some straps that lay flat easily.
I also wonder about winging using a modern stubby windsurf waveboard with foil tracks installed. Like a very small version of one of the 4-in-1 boards but with the benefit of extending your range into proper breaking waves. Although perhaps I'm just trying to minimize too much.