Protective equipment for Victoria winter sailing

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
TDerk

Protective equipment for Victoria winter sailing

Post by TDerk »

I'm in the market for a cold weather wetsuit for the Victoria area. I'm not sure if I should get a hooded 5/4 or a 6/5. What thickness is recommended? I currently have a 5/4/3. If I get a separate hood for this suit will it be sufficient? I prefer to be on the warmer side of comfort.

Has anyone tried the Dakine cold water mitts? I have used cheap 3 or 4mm gloves from MEC and they were O.K. but caused very fast fatigue. If the mitts were even 20-30% better I'd be happy.

Is there a helmet that can be adjusted to fit over a hood while also adjusted for a non-hooded noggin?

Anyone have experience with PFDs for windsurfing? I'm looking for something that is cut above a waist harness and has pockets for a radio, flares/signalling light, and spare rope.

Thanks ahead of time for any insights you can share.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I get cold easily and then can't warm up. Once my extremities start getting numb my sailing goes to crap but I like to get out all winter.

I use a 6mm and it's a touch too thick on the legs. Next one will be 5/4 then possibly throw a 1mm shortie over top.

Most guys use a kayaking dry top over their suits on the really cold days to add some warmth without bulk. This will be my plan this coming winter.

You definitely want a removable hood but you want it designed into the suit. When I tuck in my hood (not originally part of the suit) it causes a lot of stiffness in the neck.

Dakine palm less gloves are brilliant. Especially if you throw a set of nitrile tattoo gloves under them.

Can't help on the PFD, none of the ones that are certified actually work with a harness it seems. People do like the NP high hook however.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

There’s a zillion threads on these...
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jim mckenzie

winter

Post by jim mckenzie »

Buy the most expensive and luxurious hooded fullsuit you can. Smoothskin. After that do whatever you can put up with. A hot thermos and a cooler full of hot water for your hands on the beach. Fill your suit with any remaining hot water.