North vs. South Lagoon

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
grantmac

North vs. South Lagoon

Post by grantmac »

Been foiling mostly on the north end of Esquimalt Lagoon but have joined the crowd on the south side once then yesterday it looked like a massive wind shadow at my usually spot so started from the south end.

Is it just me or at the gusts Faaaaaar worse on the south end once the thermal kicks in properly? Like +45 degrees of veering and +10kts rolling through for a minute or two with barely anything in between.
The north end definitely has a bit more offshore but it seems to be fairly smooth especially at high tide.

Anyone else care to comment?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

I've only had 15 sessions at Esquimalt total, so I'm no expert but I agree with your assessment somewhat.

On the lighter days, there is sometimes a windy patch at the far S end of the spit that seems to be from wind coming from the gravel pit or the bay towards Albert Head. From the few times I've sailed up towards Albert Head there was really steady wind out in front of the gravel pit.

But I agree that once the wind switches to more WSW, the S end where we park gets crazy gusty. I think we have just learned to deal with the gusts and it is kind of fun to try and get through the lulls and then be OP in the gusts.

So I'd say, maybe the N end is better on some days and maybe the S end is better on others. The good thing about the foil is that you can sail all over the place.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'm not sure how many sessions I've had there but I live nearby and check it out a lot. IMHO 2/3 of the way from the toilets to fort rodd is the best usable wind once it turns west and off shore. But if you're kiting you need to be ok with occasional hindenburgs and 5 minute drifts. As you go further out the more towards the gravel pit you can go with good wind, but I've tried getting off the beach there and it's only doable windsurfing.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

It seems like there is a decent S-SSW many times at the south end before the WSW kicks in. But it doesn't seem to last long.
After the WSW starts the north half is much more civilized. Still gusty but less direction shift and perhaps fewer lulls.

That day I sailed down to you guys it got progressively less hectic as I made my way back to the car.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

anyone chop a duck yet? The birders must be thrilled, and the silly Beach Police? When I lived there people would give me grief for windsurfing in there. The SW was the only wind really decent for it unless you were gust hopping. I suppose the foil was made for that place. :P
curses - foiled again!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

We sail on the ocean side not in the lagoon. Unless you mean something else by “chop a duck”?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yea eewwww. Yuck. Inside only on winter SE if even. The water is flatter on the outside on westerlies close to shore anyways.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

yes I thought you were talking about IN the lagoon. We used to sail in there. Birders loved us. Come to think about it we were kind of itchy after.
curses - foiled again!
BigD

Post by BigD »

So what's the deal with this new secret spot? Is the duck chopping really that much better there than say Ross Bay?

In town for the weekend, Dave can you add a bit more colour to the forecast page please?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

It's not better, except rare occasions. But closer for some of us.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

It's a short detour on my commute home plus has minimal kelp. Otherwise I wouldn't call it a prime location.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

Not prime (except maybe in S or SW) but the group stats sure show the RISE OF THE WINDSURF FOIL (insert ominous 1960s Japanese Sea Monster movie music). It has now overtaken Ninitat as the most often sailed venue.
Stats for anyone logging WS at Esquimalt Lagoon
2016 - 1
2017 - 0
2018 - 14
2019 - 35

Cadboro Bay the other day was surprisingly fun and the water was WAY warmer than Esquimalt, so I'm sure there are loads of undiscovered foiling gems.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

That's bad data MF4, it includes my winGsurf foiling (not windsurf) session as our poor alienated misunderstood community of 2 wing thingers (so far, + a wannabe Nanmoo 😋) have no category to log too!
Last edited by UnusuallyLargeRobin on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

One thing is certain:
Foil boards of all sorts are opening up lots of new locations. I was tempted to windfoil out of McCauley Point marina, a location you'd never consider on anything but a longboard in the past.