Apple Watch app

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Apple Watch app

Post by AJSpencer »

I tried doing a search because I thought I read something about it at some point but couldn't find it, and "watch" gave 16 pages of forum topics. "watch AND app" gave 0 results.

I got an Apple Watch with my points years ago and it ultimately just sits on my desk rarely used, until I remembered it was OK to use in water, so I've been bringing it along windsurfing when I remember to bring it.
Just wondering if anyone else uses one and if so if there is an app that can pick up any data for looking at later. I don't have "cellular" on it, it just remotes to my phone, which stays on shore so is usually out of range.
Would be cool to get VOG so I can have a target number to beat, but I'm guessing it might need to have cellular to get that.
JEmerson

Post by JEmerson »

I’ve got the 5 with cellular, I’ve only had it a short time. There is a setting for kiting or windsurfing in the water sports app. It gives max speed and average speed.
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Thanks. I guess I can bring my iPhone along in a waterproof case for cellular. Good for safety anyways I guess. Maybe sew a pouch onto my harness for it. That app looks pretty good and basic, thanks.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

shaggy surfs with his iphone in a waterproof case, zipped under wetsuit, and it still gets a GPS signal.
ECarey

Post by ECarey »

I kite with a series 3 with no cellular connection every time. As long as the watch is series 2 or newer it has a built in GPS antenna and will record all the relevant data on the watch during your session to be transferred to your phone at a later time. I leave my phone in the car every session at Cook and it has not posed an issue.

Currently I'm using Strava to track my sessions. There isn't a native way to record in kitesurf mode on the watch so I record it as an outdoor bike ride and then switch the activity later. I just looked through the Apple Workout app built into the watch and there is no activity for kiting/windsurfing, only for sailing.

If anyone knows of a better app or method to track sessions, I'd be keen to hear of it
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

sweet! Mine's a series 3. Will give it a try. Had Strava back when I was pretending to be health conscious for a few months in the Winter. Will reinstall.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

I plan on testing out https://www.windsporttracker.com/, have it downloaded on my Android phone, available for Apple. Going to bag my phone next session and see how it looks. Looks good just playing around with it in the house. No wifi/cell required, just have your location(gps) turned on. It has all the expected features, speeds, averages, charts, stats..and its Free! Can import watch data, export to other apps.
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
tweezer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tweezer »

+1 for strava. It works with either the iphone or the iwatch. It burns the watch battery down after 2-3 hours though, so the phone works better for longer sessions. I've posted some speed runs GPX exported from strava to https://www.gps-foilsurfing.com/ or https://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/. The runs with only the iwatch didn't validate for some reason. Only the iphone sessions validated. Doesn't matter if you don't post the session. If you're really into the data-nerd stuff you can use GPSActionReplay to analyze your session.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

UnusuallyLargeRobin wrote:I plan on testing out https://www.windsporttracker.com/, have it downloaded on my Android phone, available for Apple. Going to bag my phone next session and see how it looks. Looks good just playing around with it in the house. No wifi/cell required, just have your location(gps) turned on. It has all the expected features, speeds, averages, charts, stats..and its Free! Can import watch data, export to other apps.
Used the app today or at Willows. Seems to work really well. I like it!
Attachments
Screenshot_20200612-220235_Windsport Tracker.jpg
Screenshot_20200612-220235_Windsport Tracker.jpg (736.29 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

That is awesome. And good to share — now I know you can sail so close to Mary Todd. Now I just need to remember to bring my watch.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Polar M430

Post by Bobson »

I’m using the Polar M430. Not as detailed map but has most of the rest including heart rate etc.

Ps. I’ll work on my speed. Gotta go faster, first sustained flights.
Attachments
955DCAE9-BFEB-4B32-A59D-904D67F797AE.jpeg
955DCAE9-BFEB-4B32-A59D-904D67F797AE.jpeg (307.75 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

The app has lots of data, stats, and charts. I think speeds are probably pretty accurate. The trick is to find and set the correct "type" of session you're doing, so it gives a relatively good estimate of your "planing" time. It appears to set different planing thresholds e.g if i choose freeride it uses a 18km/hr planing speed to give you your planing stats. When I choose lightwind foil, it uses 11km/hr. I think these are also based on the higher level category of either windsurf or kite. For the examples I had windsurf as category.
Little to no documentation of how the app works and interprets things.