Alternate Island Wind Locations

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
JL

Alternate Island Wind Locations

Post by JL »

With Nitinaht unavailable this Summer due to covid 19 alternate wind locations are to be found in this thread: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Sailing_Guide.(obviously some sites are off limits as mentioned above.) Windjunky: Lake Cowichan by youbou almost as good for windsurfing most warm afternoons, Not sure about spots to launch a kite though - Wednesday June 17, 9:48AM Kus: yes lovely beach, a bit tight, not sure about latest developments there either but the local first nations have great access there...one could ask...or sail up from Cow Bay govt dock into the best wind line & have a beer at the pub after - Thursday June 18, 10:38AM
Can651: Cowichan Bay thermals in the afternoons during the summer. Not quite Nitinat in wind strength but just about as reliable. Launch at Cherry Point Beach? - Thursday June 18, 10:01AM
Winddude: BigWaveDave soon to BigFoilDave? - Wednesday June 17, 8:34PM
Jellyfish: From Google..Notice the Qualicum outflow winds are 16-20 knots (yellow-orange coloured arrows) over the Georgia Strait (near the center of the black oval), while the winds elsewhere in the Georgia Strait are generally 2 to 8 knots. - Wednesday June 17, 4:53PM
Jellyfish: Cameron Lk is windy. We’ve had some ‘tail walking’ sessions there. Or try the Qualicum winds on a summer afternoon...lots of space unless it’s high tide..and free hot showers. We live in paradise people! - Wednesday June 17, 4:47PM
Kus: too funny Dave, Cameron Foil Club.... - Wednesday June 17, 3:15PM
Kus: Best launches I have found at Cowichan and Cameron lake are...#@$$##@sensored*&&^%....and no, they are not as good as the Nat, nowhere close - Wednesday June 17, 3:14PM
Winddude: that's a good way of saying it's windy. lol - Wednesday June 17, 3:00PM
Cameron Lake Foil Club: Sorry, locals only. - Wednesday June 17, 2:21PM
Redbaron: What about Cameron Lake. Its seems to be windy every time i drive past. Maybe a sensor one day :) - Wednesday June 17, 1:32PM

More Force 4: But Jelly, Nuu chah nulth says they want the entire west coast closed. I think they are in discussions with province, Tofino/ucluelet etc now. I'm thinking parts of Cowichan Lake will be good for foiling, kiting if you can get to the few places launchable. - Wednesday June 17, 12:10PM
Jellyfish: I agree, it’s a good time to explore other Destinations without threatening vulnerable populations. For people that have access to a boat or want to charter, Esperanza Inlet on the north side of Nootka Island has amazing thermal winds during the summer. - Wednesday June 17, 11:13AM
Kc7777: Ya Bobson....it's the summer of foiling. Hornby, Kootenay, North Van, Porteau for me - Wednesday June 17, 10:19AM
Bobson: There are so many places on the island to enjoy the wind, I"m excited to try them out. new places to sail, it's gonna be a great summer!! - Wednesday June 17, 9:58AM
Bobson: Hey Sandy B, with No nitnaht, how's PA looking and are you interested in visitors to your beach and city this summer.? - Wednesday June 17, 9:55AM
Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Possibles

Post by KUS »

Roberts Lake just past Campbell River.....thermals, launch at resort or bushwack down to it from the highway? Dunno, always seems windy, gusty, thermal

Kennedy Lake on any NW just off hwy 4 or the park

Cameron Lake off Hwy 4 best launch is Beaufort Rest Area, cold water, verrrry gusty but gorgeous drinking water, crystal :arrow: Windy when you wouldn’t expect it sometimes, frontal or thermal

Access to CowBay might be ok from this new? park too
https://www.cvrd.bc.ca/187/Cherry-Point-Nature-Park

SE winds, not sure if NW does enough here
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
themorb

Post by themorb »

I have had good success at Rathtrevor when the tide has been too high to launch a kite easily at SP. Not sure how many SE they get in the summer but that is an option with a campground.

JR campground on a W wind, if you can handle some waves.... Not sure how the wind would be around the corner at China and a bit of a walk down...

French Beach campground might work at low tide. I kited there once from the day use area and the shore bubble and shore break was nasty and the trees are a little close for comfort... Probably could be a decent windsurf spot though, not too far of a walk from the parking lot.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Anyone have experience sailing/kiting from Macktush Campground? Years ago a local old timer told me it was epic out there.... I've always wanted to check it out.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I kited Cameron Lake today. Super warm water and Surprisingly smooth wind. Always wanted to try it. Expert launch and recovery only though.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

I sailed out of Macktush years ago, after doing a little job up that side of the inlet. i recall it was a nice camp spot with good water access. this was early spring and the place was deserted. the wind was ok, probably the same you'd see at China Creek. There is a lot of boat traffic there and inlet is really narrow so you have to keep your head up!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nanmoo wrote:I kited Cameron Lake today. Super warm water and Surprisingly smooth wind. Always wanted to try it. Expert launch and recovery only though.
warm?? You musta had the wrong lake or the lava artery finally broke :roll: or you didn’t get wet? :lol: Anyway glad to know it COULD be done :idea: Tho u Probably just dreamt it because there is no sailing log :?
Wish less, sail more!!

nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Waiting to log it until after I get the OK from my surgeon to kite again. :shock:
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Where did you launch from Nanmoo? I launched from the great rigging area at the bottom of the lake right by the highway. But it's in a bit of a bay and shifty winds would make it hard to kite from (impossible yesterday). Direction might clean up in higher winds too. I wondered about the little picnic area halfway down the lake where I had to U turn around after the session but couldnt see clearly.
jellyfish
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by jellyfish »

As mentioned above, the best launch area is the Beaufort rest area half way or so along the lake.
The beach at the east end of the lake is a busy picnic and swimming area once ...if... summer arrives.
My experience as a windsurfer only, is that you need warm days and thermals to have any reliable wind and it will still be gusty at times.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

more force 4 wrote:Where did you launch from Nanmoo? I launched from the great rigging area at the bottom of the lake right by the highway. But it's in a bit of a bay and shifty winds would make it hard to kite from (impossible yesterday). Direction might clean up in higher winds too. I wondered about the little picnic area halfway down the lake where I had to U turn around after the session but couldnt see clearly.
Beaufort Picnic area as Pat mentions. Expert kite launch, drift option only and to self land you have to come in hot and quick into the wind shadow. That makes it fun though. It was fully powered 7 to 10m depending on your weight. Pretty smooth wind, a bit pulsey kind of like how China Creek can get but I would not call it gusty. Windsurf or Kite, if you miss the launch your next best option might be to end up way down at the day use area at the end of the lake because it is mostly cliffs the entire stretch there.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

IMHO It’s an exception when it is not gusty...and you could dump the kite on the lee of Beaufort and swim in...if you miss the point there is a bit of road frontage you could scramble up but ideally you want someone to catch your kite in the picnic area beach...even then it’s dicey....missing the point on a windsurfer sucks....and wind just gets worse past it for little chance of coming back upwind....stay well up above the picnic tables...i have NO idea how you could even launch a kite off the Park beach, serious skills MF4 :shock:

I have never even considered kiting possible there. Wsurf...Might be OK for foiling :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!

more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Last edited by more force 4 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

KUS wrote:I have never even considered kiting possible there.
It wouldn't be so bad if you are an expert launcher with full bags of tricks up your sleeve. But nothing at Cameron is kite friendly and only suited for people who thrive on calculated risk getting on and off the water with no expectations about the session. It's kind of the same reason I kite at Esquimalt Lagoon, its just hard and crappy and makes you appreciate it when it is better and more simple.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Other than Nitnat and Elk Lake is there a place that is worth bringing complete beginners/kids to try windsurfing?
We went to the North end of Elk recently and the amount of swimmers made it almost impossible. I was going to try the rowing club beach next but I think it'll be even more gusty.

High tide at Pipers might be possible too but Victoria area would be better. The kids don't have wet suits yet.