Tribute to Harry Weiler

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
skywalker

Tribute to Harry Weiler

Post by skywalker »

Posted with the permission of Laurie Clark

Friends

Harry Weiler, a local kiter and supporter of our community has been given some difficult news: this will be his last week with us. His cancer has spread too far and doctors are discontinuing his treatment.

For those that are able, a sail past will be organized past his residence on Thursday. Launch at 430 from cook and sail to (I deleted address post event), just past Ross Bay. We should be there by 530, not before due to medical appointments. Let’s get 20 kites out.

Fly your kite low on the shore side tack. This is a common nautical symbol of respect. Equivalent to dipping an ensyn

Reply to this thread if you can make it.

Thank you to Josh and Darwin for coming up with the idea of a sail past. The two of them did this and Harry loved it.
Last edited by skywalker on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

wish I could be there... hope there are many people out!
RIG_RAGE
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by RIG_RAGE »

I'll be there
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Emmanuelle and I will be there.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Ill be there. Will also bring the "door" if light wind someone that does not have a light wind board may use.
wired4adrenaline

Post by wired4adrenaline »

I will be there too❤...Ruth
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

See you there.
BA

Post by BA »

Yes, I'll be there.
kitesick

Post by kitesick »

I’ll be there. I hope As many friends in the Kiting / windsurfing community can make the effort on Thursday. If the wind doesn’t develop for us to be on the water we should think about all taking a walk along Hollywood Crescent to show our love support and well wishes to Harry and Lori from streetside. Thank you Luke for putting this together. Darwin
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I am very sorry to hear about your friend and that I can’t be in town to support you. Encouragement to those wind community members who can
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AJSpencer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by AJSpencer »

Vic News may be there.
Maybe the RBFC folks could sail past to show respect as well. Sad news, sorry to hear. As a rookie I'll stay far away from the kites as not to get in the way but I may be out in Ross Bay too.
A nice tribute and gesture, excellent idea by you guys.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Harry was extremely touched by this everyone, we can all be proud of what we did for a fellow windperson. He actually came down on the rocks to watch and from the link above you can see him giving a big hug to Marty. It was a fantastic display and I'll upload some shoreside pictures. Thanks for organizing this Luke, you picked the perfect wind and got the sun out - we'll talk about the tides later... Harry passes on his thanks and hugs you all.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

That is awesome, and an amazing demonstration of the camaraderie we share.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

From Laurie, Harry's Wife:

Dear Team Harry member,

It’s with a broken heart I post this news today.

Yesterday, Harry made the decision to end his life with MAID (Medical Assistance in Dying). As we laid in bed holding each other, he said this is the hardest thing I have ever done in life, such a brave man. While holding my hand he simply said “I Love you Bunkie”. I am so sad and devastated and still cannot come to terms with the end of a life of this incredible, amazing human that has been by my side for 31 years. He finally received his blood numbers Thursday night after a huge community celebration for him and it was terrible, his cancer was now taking over 60% of his blood. That night he was struggling with his breath and to swallow. By 6am, he was ready to go. I phoned doctors, MAID and close friends started to arrive.

Given such short notice we all waited two long hours for the approval. If it wasn’t on Friday, we would have waited until Monday and he would have been in pain for days. Harry continually had friends around his bed the last five days. When it was too much for him, he would simply tell them to leave now.

I can’t thank our communities enough, the flow of LOVE we have received during this journey has been absolutely mind blowing. We could count on those daily calls and check-ins to help push us further to our goal of a healthy and happy Harry.

Harry's Military College buddies sent him an amazing video of 40 tributes and messages of love to him. The night before he passed away he was restless and could not sleep. I brought this to his bed and we both watched in amazement and listened to all the stories of a young Harry and winning that “Yellow Shirt” for his athleticism. That video brought him so much joy, thanks to his Buds. We laughed, talked about all his motor bikes and crazy trips and how fit he was, which he said was not big deal. At one point he said, what’s going on here, everyone is getting old? Yes, we are honey. After all the messages, I told him thank god we did not use a dating app when we met, we never would have been matched up at all. Our hook up was one of pure explosive passion of life and a bit of kryptonite. He filled my life with love, incredible adventures, unwavering love, loyalty and laughter. I hit the jackpot with this man. He promised me to build our new house and I told him I will and the first big party will be full of all the love for him from all his friends.

The day before Harry passed away an amazing event happened at our house. His kiting community did a sail by and put on a fabulous show for him, it was the ABSOLUTE best display of love for him ever. Friends that were not on the water were on our backyard and champagne flowed. It took all his energy to get down to the rocky shore, but he insisted on going down on his own; coming back he required help and collapsed. He was overwhelmed with the love of his community and asked where was his glass of bubbly. Here is an article posted here in Victoria. https://bit.ly/2OXvhDv

We will not be holding a funeral service or anything formal for Harry. Stay tuned for any further details as we give more thought to this.

If you feel inclined to make a donation on Harry’s behalf, below are organizations we both will be supporting going-forward as a family foundation of funds.

Canadian Blood Sevices – There is always a huge demand for blood and platelets folks, just your time is required not your money. For every bag of platelets Harry received it took 5 wonderful donors, that’s a lot of amazing people.
Please book a time to visit a location close to you. https://www.blood.ca/en

Stem Cell Registration - If you are between the ages of 17-35, please consider registering to be a bone marrow donor. https://www.blood.ca/en/stemcells/donat ... tion-works

BMT – Even though we failed at the transplant, we will go on to support this amazing team in the future. http://support.vghfoundation.ca/site/Pa ... rding.html

KATS (Kids at Tennis) – We both highly support this Victoria group which provides tennis to support challenged children in our community. We were both volunteers with this organization and is managed by Sy Silverberg, an amazing man. https://kidsattennis.ca/

B.C. Marine Parks Forever – We both absolutely love our islands and of all sizes, the Gulf Island’s were our playground all year round. https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charitie ... er-society